I have a new doggie What is she?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TwinMa, Feb 26, 2008.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Hi all! I have missed you guys!

Work has had me overwhelmed for months and months. I used to be able to post from work, but that's not happening any more. I'm in a new work location (same job, just a new facility), and it's a HUGE improvement over my old place. I'm much happier in my new "home".

Take a look at my new puppy in my profile! I'm so psyched to finally get a dog! We got her from the local animal shelter. They said she was a lab/schnauzer mix. I can see the schnauzer, but not the lab. She has very wiry hair and doesn't seem like she is going to shed. What do you guys think she is?

Oh, and she has a black tongue, but doesn't seem Chow-like at all. She's a very sweet dog.

We just got her a few days ago. She is approx 1 year old. We named her Millie. (I call her Milli Vanili sometimes). I just love her already. My girls like her, too. We haven't had a dog since my girls were babies, so this is a new experience for them. I think it will be good for them because they are so shy.

I have to make time to post on the Lost post, too. I've been reading it, though. Everytime I think to post something, someone has already posted it! You guys are all so smart, as usual!
  2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I can see a bit of lab in there! Especially the ears!

The girls must be so exited!! It is great that you got a dog. I think all kids should have the dog experience. And they are just the right age to help take care of her!

Have fun!

3. pawprints

pawprints New Member

What a cutie...I see the lab and the schnauzer. I think she may have some terrier in her...perhaps from the hair.

Do you know you can do a sample and send it away and they tell you what the DNA/breeds are? My friend is doing it on her mix. I'll let you know if it works.

Enjoy her...
  4. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Your new dog is adorable! I definitely see lab in her--especially aroound the ears. Your daughters are going to love the dog and will probably bond with her much faster than you'd imagine.

Good luck with her and I love the name Millie for her.

P.S. I'm a twinma too--18 yr old identical twin girls!
  5. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Minature Schnauzer's actually have two totally different types of hair. They have course hair and very fine hair evenly distributed within the course hair. If someone is going to "show" a minature schnauzer, all of the fine soft hair has to be stripped out of the coat. Literally, they take one section at a time and pull all the fine hair out.

The course and fine hair can be the same color or they can be two different colors. You can actually inadvertently change the coat by cutting the hair against the grain on the main trunk.

There is definitely Schnauzer in the face, but not the ears.

She is a real cutie. My minature schnauzer is a rescue dog too. He is supposed to be pure minature schnauzer, but I know there is poodle genes floating around in his body. I believe he is a schnoodle.

I had to have my 18 month old pure bred minature schnauzer
    puppy euthanized about 5 months ago. She was pure black with a white diamond shaped blaze on the front of her chest. I got the rescue minature schnauzer after she passed away.

I think Millie is going to have a very happy loving family to play with her. She is a lucky dog to find a loving family.
  6. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

What is she? Adorable!!!!

7. victoria

victoria New Member

adorable! and I can see both lab and schnauzer as others have noted...

and with the black tongue, for sure there's chow, tho that type of fur might easily get lost within that schnauzer type coat!

I love mixed breeds!

8. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Thanks for all your sweet comments! It's great to see old familiar names and some new ones, too. (twins and twin moms rock!)

I'm glad to see so many pictures in the profiles these days. It helps to see something of the people you are talking to--whether it is a face or a furbaby or artwork or something goofy! Thanks for sharing.

I guess I can see some lab. She has very soft ears. I think she does have the two coats--one soft undercoat and the wiry top coat. That will be a challenge to figure out how to groom. Thanks goodness for the internet and the library and all the smart people here!

I actually looked up the DNA testing on the internet today. The one I looked at was $80. I thought it sounded like fun, but my skeptical husband poo-pooed it. He figured if they asked for a picture, they weren't on the up and up. (I don't agree with him, but what else is new? lol). We're taking Millie to the vet for an initial checkup tomorrow morning, so I'll see what the vet thinks she is.

She's discovered that we have mice in our backyard and practically fell into the lavender bush staring at it from above. She just stares at where she thinks they are. Funny doggie.

9. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Hey TwinMa! Your puppy is adorable!

I have learned from my sons trips to the vet with his dogs, that sometimes a trait from a particular breed is something very subtle. Like a tiny strip of white on the chest. Not always something that stands out.

My pup's mother was a German Shepherd, and father a Black Lab. All the puppies were shepherds except mine... a Yellow Lab. She looks nothing like a German Shepherd, except maybe the tail.

Whatever Millie turns out to be, she is a great looking dog. It's hard to tell, is she pretty good sized, or do you have a really small door? She looks like the kind of dog that everyone loves...fun and friendly and devoted. Like a perfect family dog! And just adorably cute!

Come on over to the Lost thread! You don't have to contribute any prophetic wisdom or anything. You can just express your excitement, frustration, confusion, sorrow, hatred, love or anything else you got. I miss you there. You always have great insight and are just a lot of fun to chat with.
  10. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

your wee dog is beautiful, what a lovely face she has.

11. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

Hi TwinMa! OMG She's adorable! I once had a Schnauzer/Something else mix. I just loved that dog too. Sooo very loveable. He thought he was a lap dog, and I'd hold him like a baby while he slept.

So, if your puppy is a Schnauzer/Lab, then I think she is technically a"Schlab". Right? Just kidding!

Hugs and best wishes to you and your baby, doloresf1
  12. joyfully

joyfully New Member

You wrote, "She's discovered that we have mice in our backyard and practically fell into the lavender bush staring at it from above. "

Schnauzers were initially bred for "ratting". It does not surprise me in the slightest that she is fixated on mice.

Don't be surprised if she has the same response to squirrels too.
  13. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

and Schnauzer. Do you think she could have any rottweiler or German Shephard? I can't put my finger on it but something like that seems to be present.

PS: I love the name Millie. I also wanted to just say Thank You for rescuing Millie. It always breaks my heart to see homeless animals. I have 4 cats which are all rescues.
  14. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Thanks for all your kind words about my new sweetie!

We took her to the vet for a once-over today and she passed with flying colors. He thought she was between 8 and 12 months old, so he split the difference and went with 10 months old. She weighs 42 pounds. She's a great size for us. Not too big, not too small--just right!

I kind of hope she has some lab in her because I love the term Schlab! Too funny!

As far as what she was, he would only commit to Schnauzer mix. He didn't think she had lab in her. He did think she may have some terrier. I'm really leaning toward doing the DNA testing. I'm a big fan of knowing something, if the technology is available. The biggest stopping point would be the cost.

I keep wanting to address each of you individually, but by the time I get a chance to sit at the computer, I'm too pooped! Please know that I really appreciate each and every comment. You all have some great insights, touching comments and make me laugh. Thanks!!!

4everkid - I will post on the Lost thread soon--really!

P.S. on her rescue. She was taken to Dumb Friends League (DFL) in October as a Lost/Found. She must have been 4 or 5 months at that point. She had a terrible respiratory illness and they treated her with antibiotics. They also spayed her. Then she was adopted. The people who adopted her back then brought her BACK to the DFL in February because they had a baby and she "played too roughly" with the baby. Don't even get me started on how many ways that is wrong! That bottom line is that she was wrong for that family and is totally right for our family. Lucky us--lucky her. Win-win! It does feel very good to rescue such a deserving soul.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/27/2008]
  15. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

What a sweet face!!!
    I love seeing her there in your home looking like she belongs there -on your rug with your toy. Knowing she came from the shelter, just warms my heart. She must be SO happy to have found her new family!

I wish everyone would get their animals from shelters or rescue groups. There are so many animals that need loving homes...and are so appreciative when they are taken into them!
    Thanks for posting a pic of Millie!
  16. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

There is a website called chowwelfare.com that lists breeds that may have either a black/blue tongue or spotted tongue.

My golden has spots on his tongue and I had one blue heeler and a rottie that both had solid blue tongues. Chows are the best known for it, but it shows up in a lot of other breeds, even pure breds.

Have you considered Airedale and lab? That would explain the ears. You didn't mention how big she is but I think mini-Schnauzer/lab or even Schnauzer/Airedale/lab mix might be possible.

The genetic testing is legit if you use a certified lab. Some mixed breeds, mostly rescue dogs, are being tested so that they can show in rally, obedience, and agility at AKC shows. Of course they can't show in the "beauty contest" as they won't meet the standard, but they can earn AKC points towards titles in the other events. We have a friend with a shar-pei cross that was rescued. Just from her looks Rosie was accepted as a shar-pei with a limited registration so she can compete in rally. She has her novice championship in rally.

Cute pup, have fun, and good for you for rescuing!

17. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

I definitely see the lab in her! I love my pup,he is the best therapy for me (see pic on profile).
  18. joyfully

joyfully New Member

If you are looking for the instructions how to groom a schnauzer, the following web page will help. You can click on the individual diagrams and they will appear larger. I don't know if you were planning to do it yourself or not.

I clip my schnauzer. I've clipped all my schnauzers that I have owned. The legs, beard, belly, eyebrows are all done by scissors. The rest is with a clippers.

The same diagrams apply if you are just clipping and not stripping.
  19. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I posted a pic of Millie walking my girls. It was very windy, so hair is being blown all over. You should be able to get a better idea of her size from this pic. She is 42 pounds and her back comes up to my knees (I'm 5'6").

Thanks for the great web sites on black tongues and how to groom schnauzers. Very helpful.

Our big task this weekend will be clipping her nails. She has black nails, so it will be a little tricky. I've done lots of nails, but it's been quite a few years.

Several of you mentioned Airedale, and I think I can see that. Especially in the ears and how she holds herself.

Thanks again for all your great responses! I love the pictures in your profiles, too!
  20. jole

jole Member

definitely black lab. We had a yellow lab and yours reminds me a lot of him! No matter what, she is a very pretty dog and very lucky to have found you after all she's been through.

Her story makes me angry too. I can't understand anyone taking a dog and deciding afterwards they don't want one! Of course, I think of pets as kids, and I can't imagine doing that to a child...although now days they do much worse.

Anyway, you're right..good for her, good for you!