I have a question???

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by nicolep30, Aug 19, 2010.

1. nicolep30

nicolep30 New Member

My dad is about to get hip replacement surgery and he has fms and a lot of nerve damage, is that going to make a big difference in the surgery??? Has anyone had this done or knows someone that has??? please help!!!!! I also have been diagnosed with fms and have a lot of fatigue! I do not have insurance or a doc. Does anyone know of anything I can do?????
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board.

Sorry, I don't know anything about hip replacement surgery except my mother
    had it several years ago. She used to joke they put titanium in her hip so
    now she was part airplane.

Here are some resources Twocatdoctors posted some time back:

"Below is my list of resources for medical care and prescriptions. Keep in mind that many of the programs for free or low cost prescriptions have paperwork and requirements that you must meets before obtaining prescriptions. Good luck and hugs.

--------------
    To find your local NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) and seek mental health support groups, and possible free/low cost mental health care, check out the safe site below:

http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=Your_Local_NAMI&Template=/CustomSource/AffiliateFinder.cfm

Below is a site for free medical clinics. Go on the link and then click on your state, then scroll down to find a location near you.

http://www.uniteforsight.org/freeclinics.php?state=MI&statename=Michigan Find out if you have to make an appointment or if you have to just show up and wait in line.

Some churches will help you, even if you do not attend church there.

If you are sick, injured or in pain, go to a public hospital and they are not permitted to turn you away.

As to prescriptions, I don't know if they will provide free prescriptions.

Here are some sites where you can apply for free/low cost prescriptions but it takes a while to get them and you have to have paperwork filled out and your doctor (the clinic) would have to sign the paperwork too.

PPA/Partnership for Prescription Assistance - Brings together America’s pharmaceutical companies, doctors, patient advocacy organizations and civic groups to help low-income, uninsured patients get free or nearly free brand-name medicines.

Needymeds.com - Organization which helps patients learn about patient assistance programs. THEY CAN NOT ANSWER CALLS CONCERNING INDIVIDUAL REQUESTS FOR ASSISTANCE, they can provide information only. They are not a provider.

RX Assist - Searchable database by company, brand name, generic name and drug class which includes eligibility and application instructions.

RX Hope - The only patient assistance Internet initiative financially supported by PhRMA (Pharmaceutical and Research Manufacturers of America) and participating pharmaceutical companies.

RX Outreach

Benefits Check Up - Provides individuals 55 and over with a confidential personalized report of public and private programs that can help save money on prescription drugs.

Canada Pharmacy.com - Need some cost breaks on your scrips? Try out-of-country.

RX 4US - By negotiating on your behalf with a network of licensed Canadian pharmacies they bring you good prices and reliable Canadian drug service.

Costco Pharmacy Online - Online pharmacy to purchase drugs, vitamins and get health info.

Consumer Reports Best Buy Drugs - Reports and information to guide consumers and doctors in making more cost effective prescription drug choices.

Consumer Reports Drug Reports - Combines an expert review of the scientific evidence on prescription drugs with their prices. Compare and contrast prescription drugs by category - that is, drugs in the same class that are used to treat a specific condition or illness such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, allergies, coronary artery disease, heartburn or depression. The reports can be easily and quickly downloaded as attractive PDFs to print out and discuss with your doctor.

Disability Resources.org Prescription Drug Resources -

Indigent Prescription Programs -

FDA – Buying Medicines And Medical Products Online -

FDA – Consumer Education - What You Should Know About Buying and Using DrugProducts -

FDA – Saving Money On Prescription Drugs -

FreeDrugCard.us - Sponsored by a non-profit organization to help all Americans cut their prescription drug costs. Simply download your FREE Prescription Drug Card and receive savings of up to 75% at more than 50,000 national and regional pharmacies. This Prescription Card is not Insurance, is pre-activated and can be used immediately.

Free Medicine Program - Helps patients in obtaining prescription drugs and medications absolutely free of charge.

Helping Patients - Interactive website designed to help providers/patients find patient assistance programs

Medicare Prescription Drug Info Search - Allows you to search for programs (both private and government) based on where you live

Guide to Choosing a Medicare Approved Drug Discount Card -

Medication Foundation - Information clearinghouse for low cost and no cost prescription drug programs.

Medicine for Free - NOTE: This site charges a $9.99 subscription fee

Medicine Express - Designed to help senior citizens or anyone who does not have any prescription coverage and are having trouble financially obtaining the medicines they need.

State Pharmaceutical Assistance Programs -

Needymeds.com - Organization which helps patients learn about patient assistance programs. THEY CAN NOT ANSWER CALLS CONCERNING INDIVIDUAL REQUESTS FOR ASSISTANCE, they can provide information only. They are not a provider.

Pfizer Sharecard - Pfizer Sharecard is especially beneficial for Medicare recipients and provides Pfizer Pharmaceuticals at a greatly reduced rate. Take the qualification test to see if you can benefit.

PharmacyChecker.com - Compare prescription drug prices for more than 1,000 medications.

PHRMA/Pharmaceutical Research and Mfgs. of America - Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America, a detailed listing of programs and contacts.

QDrug.com - Info on state and federal funded prescription programs

RX Assist - Searchable database by company, brand name, generic name and drug class which includes eligibility and application instructions.

RX Hope - The only patient assistance Internet initiative financially supported by PhRMA (Pharmaceutical and Research Manufacturers of America) and participating pharmaceutical companies.

RX Outreach -

America’s Guide to Save – Buying Prescription Drugs Online -

ScriptSave - The ScriptSave card offers prescription drug savings for the entire household, as well as free access to health and wellness information.

Medicine Program.com - An organization which assists patients, with help from the physicians, to enroll in patient assistance programs.

Together RX Access Card - A free prescription-savings card for eligible residents of the United States and Puerto Rico who have no prescription drug coverage.

Medical Discounts International Inc -

AAA Prescription Savings Program - Free with AAA membership. Save average of 20% on prescriptions. No deductables or co-pays. Simply present your AAA Prescription Savings card at a participating pharmacy for the discount.

BenefitsCheckUpRX -

PPA/Partnership for Prescription Assistance - The Partnership for Prescription Assistance brings together America's pharmaceutical companies, doctors, other health care providers, patient advocacy organizations and community groups to help qualifying patients who lack prescription coverage get the medicines they need through the public or private program that's right for them. Many will get them free or nearly free. To access the Partnership for Prescription Assistance by phone, you can call toll-free at 1-888-477-2669."

You might also check out Emotions Anonymous which is a 12 step program. There is
    no fee, but a collection is taken up at each meeting to pay expenses like rent,
    coffee, etc.

You may also want to post on the combined fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    board which is also at this site. See the upper right hand corner. Good luck

Rock
  3. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

My brother, who is in his 60s, just had hip replacement a few months ago, and just before that had back fusion surgery. Keep in mind that advances in science have made these procedures easier. My brother had hip surgery on a Tuesday came home on a Friday and was using a cane and at a movie theater that Sunday.

He does not have Fibro, but his back will take about 6 months to recover from that surgery. For the hip replacement, they had him doing physical therapy right in the hospital bed and continued at home as soon as he was discharged and followed that up with my brother going to a physical therapy place. Following the physical therapy was very important.

I hope this info helps.