I have a strange question/comment...maybe not so strange?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CanBrit, Nov 6, 2008.

1. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Last night, I was feeling an awful lot of pain in my shoulders and back along with getting spasms in my legs and back. I realized that the pain and spasms aren't quite as bad when I'm standing or lying flat.

When we have company, everybody always asks me when I'm going to sit down and I usually don't until supper time, and even then I use a heating pad all night.

I guess I spend most of my waking hours on my feet. I still have pain, but I do know it's worse if I sit.

Has anyone else found this?

Thanks for your feedback.

2. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

i spend alot of time up during the day. it isn't til i slow down for the day that my pain worsens (with the exception of when i first get up).

when i try and "relax" for the end of the day, my pain kicks up, so there really isn't any relaxing. i too, am constantly on my heating pad, or in a warm tub.

i think the reason this happens is, when i'm moving around and doing things, my mind is taken off the pain. so when i finally slow down, and am not really doing anything, it's hard to get the pain off my mind.

don't know if this was what you were looking for, but just thought i'd share what happens with me.
  3. mom2many

mom2many New Member

I do "OK" until it's bed time, I lay down and the pain is awful, I almost cry my self to sleep some nights. I now take a pain pill an hour and a half before I lay down and than an Ambien right as I get in bed.
    BTW the ZMA from here helps me a lot with leg cramps and spasms.
  4. Tammy H

Tammy H New Member

I had to get a Tempurpedic Mattress that I love could not sleep at all without it or my Trazadone. I also have a anti gravity chair with memory foam that helps when I sit.
  5. featherme

featherme New Member

How wonderful that you have found a position of lesser pain!
  6. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

It's all in the degrees isn't. Sometimes I think my lesser pain is at a 10!
  7. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

When I have company, I'm always running around like a mad woman, or standing at my kitchen island. People are always saying "sit down!" cause they can tell my legs hurt, I always say, "it won't make a difference".
    To me, the difference, is in the day. Some days, it obviously hurts more if I'm running around. It definitely hurts more if I'm standing still. I often have to get comfy on my heating pad on the couch and just give my tired legs a break. Laying on the couch with a pillow under my knees helps me somedays as well.

As I said, sometimes it really doesn't matter what I am or am not doing - my legs kill me.
  8. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I guess it's really about standing still or sitting still for me. I just seize up. Standing still really hurts my back. Sitting still hurt everything and makes me have muscle spasms everywhere.
    I guess being upright and moving, trying to do things, helps me ignore everything else.

I just feel like I'm getting worse and worse. Pain is worse. The muscle spasms are increasing. In really weird spots as well, like the side of my calf, not the back where you'd expect it. Fatigue is a lot worse. I get these sharp pains in my hands, wrists and feet. Sometimes when I'm walking, it's like my legs aren't really there. I keep dropping things.

I've even lost more than 20lbs this year. My weight had stayed the same for 20 years. Why would I lose weight now? I though that in your 50's you went the other way.

Oh well, another trip to the Dr's and maybe some more blood work.

Thanks again,

9. dollinitup

dollinitup New Member

It's all the same.
    I get the same thing from my family and friends, always wanting me to sit down and rest.
    I always tell them"I can stand easier then I can sit"

After sitting for a couple minutes it is so hard to get going again it is easier to just stand and keep moving even exhuasted.
  10. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

You're saying exactly what I'm saying. It's easier just to stand and keep moving than try to get going again.

What a silly syndrome this is....not!