I Have A Very Strange Question /Problem

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lgp, Feb 11, 2008.

1. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

with my fourteen year old daughter. She's been battling a slight head cold for a few weeks. Whenever she blows her nose, it's clear (no infection) but with blue flecks in it. Not green, not greenish blue, but medium blue. I've racked my brain over this and the only thing I can think of is that she wears blue eye pencil inside her lower rim. Does anybody think that little pieces of it could somehow travel through the eye or the tear ducts or something and come out when she blows her nose? Where else could the blue be coming from? I know if I call the doctor, they'll think I'm bonkers. Seriously, any ideas would be appreciated.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/11/2008]
  2. joyfully

joyfully New Member

have her stop wearing the eye liner for a week & see what happens.
  3. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Funny you should say that, I just told that to my daughter two minutes ago!!! Thanks.
  4. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

It may have been something she inhaled.

When I was in HS sculpture class, I had to spray paint a project white. Afterwards, when I looked in the mirror, I found that the entire inner regions of my nose were opaque white. Not a good look in high school! I hadn't tried to inhale the stuff, I had just continued to breath as usual while working.

Fourteen-year-old girls probably have more contact with blue flecks than the rest of the population. Ask her to think back through her day. Does she have any contact with blue glitter - in body spray, hairspray, etc? Any projects at school with blue stuff? Spray paint, colored chalk? A mid-air Pixy-Stix explosion? Anything that could fill the air in front of her and be inhaled.

Another possibility, if she is having a lot of nasal problems... excuse this graphic description..... maybe it is something that went from her mouth, to her throat, then UP into her sinus cavities. Sugary blue cupcakes or cookies?

Just another angle to look at, based on the ratio of blue flecks, to the everyday lives of 14-year-old girls.
  5. stick2013

stick2013 Member

May I suggest that you go to your local drug store and buy a Netti Pot.(nasal douche) I know it sounds really gross, but they do work very well. I have just purchased one, and use it.

They are recommend for sinus infections/colds/allergies.

If there is something lodged in her sinus cavity or stuff up there it will flush it out.
  6. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I really do appreciate them.

4everkid: She does take Art in school and uses pencils for shadowing; spends alot of time erasing for light and shadow so that's something to consider. Thanks.

stick2013: I have to admit, that's a new one on me, but will definitely consider it as well. Thanks.

Keep the suggestions coming if anyone thinks they can shed any light on this!

[This Message was Edited on 02/12/2008]
  7. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I definitely vote for the eye pencil theory and it should be easy enough to find out, as suggested. Don't use it for a week.

8. stick2013

stick2013 Member

If you look on the main page of chit chat, down toward the bottom of the page, there is a post called nasal irrigation. It explains all about Netti Pots, their uses, and advantages for using them....

Anyone with sinus infections, allergies, or colds would really benefit.