I have always had to suggest my own treatment plan!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by patientnurse, Sep 15, 2005.

1. patientnurse

patientnurse New Member

I had a dr. appt today and once again, realized that in the past 10 years of all sorts of interventions for FMS, I am the one who proposes the meds or treatments that I get. I saw that ya'll had a discussion about this in August. I have changed drs. often because we were military; either we moved or the dr. moved. I am thankful that the drs. I've had were open to my suggestions, but it confounds me that they rarely have a suggestion. I've always had to carry in an article or a book. Yep! Proactive is the only way to be with this illness. Still, it doesn't seem fair to people who don't speak medical or have computers or just simple folk who trust their physician.

2. lmmillion

lmmillion New Member

I agree with you about being proactive with Dr.'s about treatment. I was complaining about this to my mom recently. At first, my Dr. suggested what is probably the usual stabs at FM treatment by most primary care Dr.'s- anti-inflammitories and antidepressants. I've done my own research since being diagnosed and have had to suggest things to my Dr. or flat-out ask for her to prescribe something I think might help. I hesitate to see her with problems because I already know what to expect from her-no suggestions at all. I don't want to switch to another Dr. because she has been my primary since the rheumatologist diagnosed me and referred me back to her. On a positive note, she is at least open to trying different meds. I just have to do my homework before I see her so that I know what to ask for. Something seems a little wrong with this picture, doesn't it?!!
  3. jaltair

jaltair New Member

My internist and rheumatologist both have been very amicable to requests, etc. for treatment or whatever so I can't complain. However, I do feel for those aren't able to advocate for themselves or have docs that have "God complexes."

Jeannette
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

That's why I changed doctors...back to one who knows me and new treatments. I'm not paid to go in and tell them what to do for me. Yes, I need to be informed, but come on, I'm not a doctor.

I agree about those who aren't computer literate or have access to information. However, if they are unsatisfied they can change, or a doctor who is honest will bone up on treatments or refer the patient to someone else.

Too bad we don't live in a perfect world.

Sue
  5. sickasadog

sickasadog New Member

patientnurse-

just wanted to say I LOVE your screen name!! Unfortunately, with these illnesses, patients often know more than the drs and our knowledge and persistence is often how we get anywhere with this illness. BTW- it is how I got my diagnosis of Lyme!
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

I learned about both Cymbalta and Neurotin on this board.

I had to suggest to my primary doc about switching from Prozac to Cymbalta to see if I could get the added benefit of pain relief as well as what the anti-depressant had to offer. He told me is was OK with him, but he thought it was just like all the other A-D's, but if I wanted to give it a try, go for it. So I did try it, and it was one heck of a lot better than Prozac!!! I most definitely could tell that it did help a little with my pain.

And the Neurotin .... I was sent to a pain management doctor who started me on Darvocet for the pain--which didn't help. Then, I asked her about the Neurotin. She said "oh, yeah, we use it to treat fibromyalgia; however I thought I was treating your back pain!!!!! Duh! I told her that I was there for treatment from my OVERALL pain management problems--that I had many ailments that caused chronic pain, and yes, fibro and my back were just 2 of them.

So she ended up giving me the Neurotin for the fibro, and ditched the Darvocet for my back pain and changed me to Lortab for my back. Needless to say, I informed my primary doc that she was a dud and I would prefer to see someone else. He did get me an appt. with a much better guy!!

Unfortunately, you have to be able to take charge/take control of your own medical care. If you don't have that ability, you ARE at the mercy of the doctor. And unfortunately again, some docs do not have that get-up-and-go attitude that we need!

Janet