I have been having days where I just can't stay awake

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, Aug 25, 2010.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

Every night it is the same old battle, I can't sleep, no matter what I take. I am on stong narcoitc so I don't want to use ambien or LUnesta. I have been usuing melatioin and it does help , I fall alseep for a few hours adn then wake up and can't sleep again till around 7am , Then once I fall a sleep I will sleep for a hour or so. I never really wake up I stay so sleepy that once I sit down my eye's shut and I drift off for a few minutes or some times hours. I try to get up dressed and to keep moving so I don't sleep all day cause that makes it harder to sleep at night.
    But lately I find that I struggle to wake up in the morning and fight all morning as well as all day long to keep awake. I can't stay awake I am so fatiqued that my body won't do what it should. My pain levels have been worse as wel ans I end up sleeping in strange postions.
    What is going on with me I am wondering? Fibro is some thing that does not stay the same it changes all the time and i never know what the change will do to me. All I want is to sleep in my own bed and to sleep all night. Is there anything wrong with that?
    I need more sleep but sleep in my own bed is hard to come by , I want to slleep in my newbed it is better than the water bed but it is hard to break in scince I have not gotten used to it and how it feels. Please help me if you can.
  2. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, rosemarie.

Since melatonin helps for a while, maybe you could consider time-released melatonin. I see that it is available on the internet. I recommend checking with your doctor to make sure this would be O.K. for you, though, considering that you are taking a strong narcotic.

Best regards,

3. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I will ask my rehumy about it tomorrow. I take Xanax 2 mg every night for the past 20 yrs. I am also on Mscontin, MSIR, Soma, visteril and the for mentioned xanax. I have cut back on my Mscontin in the past few years now only take 2 a day, my use of msir is on a daily basis depending on how much pain I am in. I have tried the big guns of sleeping pills like ambien and don't dare take the anbien ER as I am worried I won't wake up in the morning, or that i will wake up in the morning to find out that I ate all night long while sleeping. Did that with the ambien so I not thrilled about it.
    I have been taking the melatonin for a few months now. I am seeing my rehumy for the first time this year, so I have many questions for him.
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Have you had a sleep test? I have several sleep disorders. Just found out I have obstructive sleep apnea three month ago. While weight can be a risk factor, it also has to do with where you carry your weight and the structure of your mouth, nose and air passage. A very small percentage don't snore.

I mention this as sometimes people think if they are not overweight they can't have OSA. This is not necessarily true especially in children, women and the elderly. I would have bet money I did not have it.

I am on the CPAP and it has really helped, especially for the pain as sleep/pain/FM are closely related.

This will be a lifetime thing for me even if I lose weight as I have a very small mouth and air passage. But it is worth it.

This may not apply to you, but wanted to relate my experience.

I still have FM, RLS, pain that wakes me up but the pain is more manageable. It's all relative, I guess.

5. MissTerri

MissTerri New Member

Hi Rosemarie,
    Since I'm on so many pain/muscle meds, my doctor prescribed Provigil. I have no insurance and no income, so I qualified for their patient assistance program. Perhaps this could help?
  6. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

i can second the zopiclone, good sleep no hangover