I have bronchitis yet again

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sunshyne1027, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I have yet another case of bronchial asthma. I only get it when sick with a cold/flu. I got a sore throat a couple days ago, and it turned into a cold. I have been using inhalors, vaporizers. I am so short of breath, its unreal. Went to the doc today and he prescribed steroids, a new med called simulair, biaxin for infection. I also use advair daily.

I notice I get more and more colds/bronchial probs lately. It takes so long to get over. Its why I lost my last job, was off two weeks sick. I was just sick in November with the same darn thing.

My battle with quitting smoking isnt hard at all anymore. While in the waiting room at the docs, a lady with a oxygen tank next to her, wheezing, it really hit home. I do not want to be like that. The doc told me that she is a longtime smoker.

Even though I have suffered from this medical problem since a child. I know that smoking isnt helping it none, and will quit it.

2. karen55

karen55 New Member

quit smoking. I'm an ex-smoker and I wish I'd had enough sense to never start. I developed asthma as an adult, as did my dad, who was also an ex-smoker when he did. My mom was a lifelong smoker, quit 4 years ago after landing in the ER and being told she had COPD, then last year she was dx with lung cancer - both lungs.
    Quitting smoking will help you a lot, besides the obvious damage it's doing to your heart and lungs, it's lowering your immune system as well. Sounds like you really need to work on boosting your immune system now, but there are others on this board who are much more knowledgeable about that than I. Hopefully they will respond to your post.
    I hope you feel better real soon!

Karen
  3. griswoldgirl

griswoldgirl New Member

same road started as a cold -then sinus infection and then traveled south. I am a smoker too. I had almost two days without any and broke down and bought a pack yesterday. I only had 2 1/2 and have had none today. Been hacking too much to think about it.

I am having surgery wednesday on my knee and if this does not clear up, they will cancel it.

take lots of steamy showers and breathe deep-that seems to help me.

get well soon

cathy
  4. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

that was so nice to get feedback from you two. Yes its singulair. I hope it does help, thats great news that it helped you. Something, one of the meds is causing some nausea. I slept alot last night, on and off today too. I just cannot get comfy long enough to sleep, me too on sleeping in a upright position saometimes.

Its so hard to keep focused on quitting smoking. Its a battle for sure, I wish to god I never started too. Its so addicting. I will continue to try and quit, it may take a few times, but I do hope to overcome it.

:)