I have chronic facial pain~anyone else?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Gly, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Gly

Gly New Member

I've had constant facial pain since August (at least that's when I first went to the doctor about it). I've searched for information and I think I have atypical trigeminal neuralgia.

It feels like my right maxillary sinus is congested and I have tooth root pain. I've had an x-ray which showed nothing. Then my dentist did a pan x-ray. Again normal. He tested the teeth in the area involved. He didn't think it was my teeth. He showed me where the trigeminal nerve endings go using my pan x-ray.

My doctor sent me for a CT scan which was also normal. So it looks like my sinuses are fine.

I'm going to ask for a referral to a neurologist. I hope the treatment isn't worse than this condition. It's not severe pain but it's constant. Sometimes it's disabling. The only thing that takes the pain away is sleeping pills or Ativan. Codeine takes the edge off and makes it bearable when it's bad. OTC medications don't help at all. Not even a little bit.

If you have this, too, please tell me how it's being treated. TIA
  2. busybusymom

busybusymom New Member

Could it be TMJ disease, which is more on the side of the face near the ear, or is it more frontal face pain?

I'm currently dealing with TMJ and I can barely open my mouth - I also have severe ear pain. Your dentist would probably be best at diagnosing this. You might want to ask him if he saw anything in your xrays. Just a thought.

3. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

tmj dysfunction is an associated symptom of fibromyalgia.
    also my little brother has been diagnosed facial nuerlgia and he cant bear to have certian points on his face touched.he wont shave until he looks like the missing link lol.
  4. Gly

Gly New Member

My dentist did a pan x-ray because I was convinced that the pain was either from an old root canal or from the maxillary sinus on the right side. He showed me where the trigeminal nerve runs and thought I was having nerve pain. He tested my teeth with something cold. But all my teeth were fine.

I don't have jaw problems at all. The pain rarely goes all the way to my ear. It definitely follows branches of the trigeminal nerve.

Fortunately I don't have the more well-known form of Trigeminal Neuralgia, which is excruciating. Mine isn't triggered by anything. It's just there all the time, mostly a mild uncomfortable sensation. But I read last night that this can progress to full-blown TN.

If you look up "Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia" or "Atypical Facial Neuralgia", that describes my pain perfectly.

Thanks for your help. I did search through some old messages on this forum but am hoping to find some more information.
  5. dunnlb

dunnlb New Member

Recent articles from The New York Times , WebMD , and Health Day News report that Botox (botulinum-A neurotoxin) may be effective in treating patients with trigeminal neuralgia, based on the findings of a small, unblinded pilot study in the October 25 issue of Neurology. 1

Trigeminal neuralgia, or tic douloureux, is an intense facial pain caused by irritation of the trigeminal nerve, a cranial nerve with sensory branches that pass through the face and jaw. Current treatment options for trigeminal neuralgia include anticonvulsant medications such as carbamazepine (Tegretol) or phenytoin (Dilantin), which are not always effective and have side effects, and surgical interventions.

In the published study, a Brazilian and American research team investigated the therapeutic use of Botox in 13 patients with trigeminal neuralgia. Ten days post-treatment, the patients reported significant reductions in pain and most were reportedly symptom-free after 20 days. Sixty days after treatment, four patients no longer required preventive medication, and the others had their medication reduced by more than half.

Although the results of this pilot study are promising, large-scale randomized clinical trials on the therapeutic use of Botox for trigeminal neuralgia are needed to confirm the results, determine the duration of the effects, and more carefully assess any adverse events. As noted by the study authors, a placebo-controlled clinical trial is required to confirm their results. This is consistent with the findings of a recent systematic review, which identified no randomized controlled trials in this area and presented no definitive conclusions on administering Botox for the treatment of rare head and neck pain syndromes. 2

The ADA has not taken a specific position on dentists administering Botox; however, a number of state dental boards have or are in the process of developing policy for its use. All dentists who are considering using Botox for treatment of dental conditions should consult their state dental board to determine if this falls within the scope of practice in their respective state and, if so, what specific requirements are necessary.

6. Svette_Palme

Svette_Palme New Member

Sorry for digging up this very old comment, but it is one of very few about Trigeminal Neuralgia, or Atypical whatever. <BR>
    I have had "Atypical Face Pains" for the past month, and I had a bout of it 10 years ago too. At that time, I got all my teeth taken out and it seemed to have ended the face pains. Now they are back, as promised by the dentists [but my teeth were bad anyhow, I am glad I have dentures now]. <BR>
    So, gly, did you find any answers? Are you still posting here? Anywhere???<BR>
  7. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

May i ask, did a neurologist diagnose you with Trigeminal Neuralgia as you say you have had the "Atypical face pains"<BR>
    i have been suffering for the past 3 months what i thought was a wisdom or tooth pain. This horrible pain has expanded to one side excruciating facial , jaw , ear pain, burning in the mouth and tongue. Pain is all on one side.<BR>
    i have seen 3 docs the past 2 weeks.<BR>
    My dentist said i needed a root canal and another tooth (wisdom) pulled. i was referred to a endodontist, passed all tests with the endo. The Endo (whom said my pain had to be coming from the wisdom).Endo referred me to a Oral surgeon, whom said my wisdom tooth is not the cause of the pain i am explaining. <BR>
    Oral surgeon suggests i see a neurologist for possible Trigeminal Neuralgia. <BR>
    Are you finding any relief of pain and if so, please what is helping you ?<BR>
    I have 2 weeks before i can see my rheumy, Tramodol does nothing for this facial/mouth pain .<BR>
    Please share what you can, i am trying to find answers and come across this post here. i think you may be experiencing the same type of pain .<BR>
    i also have Fibromyalgia and have read where facial pain can be part of the pain, but this facial pain is just awful.<BR>
    Hopefully you can respond back soon or anyone else having this Please.<BR>
    Thank you<BR>