I have continuous problem with Static Electricity Shocks...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by AJME, Jan 2, 2003.

1. AJME

AJME New Member

Dear All,

I have a continuous problem with Static Electricity Shocks. I can touch a light switch and see a big spark. I can touch various objects around the house and outside the house and get shocked to almost the feeling of being very unconfortable.

I imagine it is because my body chemicals are not balanced and I'm charged like a battery. I guess I'm not grounded enough. (bizarre)

I was wondering if anyone has the same problem and what they do about it. I read about bracelets and tethering your bed to ground while sleeping might help keep you grounded. I have a metal bed frame....maybe I can find a way to ground it.

Article about Static Electricity and FM below...
    Don't know how reputatable the source is...

Grounded Sleep:
    A double-blind study completed in December 2000, examined the effects on neurological or stress-related health disorders of subjects sleeping grounded vs. those sleeping on a placebo pad. The grounded sleepers showed dramatic improvements in: improving quality of sleep (85%), lessening time to fall asleep (93%), feeling more rested upon awakening (100%), reducing muscle stiffness and pain (82%), reducing chronic back and joint pain (74%), and improved overall health and well-being (78%). No detrimental effects were observed.

This study suggests a formerly little recognized link between a human need for daily, extended contact with the earth's natural energy field, and the potential lack of such contact as the source of a contributing or causal factor in a wide range of physical distress and disease.

The National Sleep Foundation recently reported that "seven in 10 adults (69%) say they experience frequent sleep problems." The report remarks that "health problems play a significant role in the quantity and quality of adults' sleep. They are associated with high incidences of insomnia (trouble falling asleep, staying asleep, waking too early, and waking up feeling un-refreshed), and sleep disorders."

Those who report the following medical conditions are most likely to experience a sleep problem: depression (83%), nighttime heartburn (82%), diabetes (81%), cancer (79%), hypertension (79%), heart disease (78%) and/or arthritis (76%).

2. mapessd

mapessd New Member

I have to print out the article you posted to read later . but i to have had this stuff for a while then it kind of got alittle better then it gets bad again. I always joked around and thought it might be part of this dd but never asked if anyone else has this problem Can't wait to read the rest of your post , and to see if anyone else has this trouble
    Hugs Sue
  3. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

I get shocked all the time, but not like you not big sparks. I never thought anything about it. My husband thinks I crazy when yell every time I touch my car door.
  4. Karrot

Karrot New Member

I always just thought it was my hair that was causing all the static electricity. It's very interesting that I'm not alone in this. Every time that I get out of a car I have gotten into the habit of shutting the door with my hand completely on the window to avoid the inevitably painful shock I would otherwise get. Even then, sometimes it jumps and gets me anyway.

Isn't it amazing how much we still don't know about our own bodies?

As for sleeping grounded, I do. I don't have a bed frame at all - mattress and box springs straight on the floor. Sorry to say that my sleep is completely worthless.

Thanks for sharing the info!

Karrot
  5. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

And here I was thinking it was just me! I think it has something to do with an imbalance in our chemistry. Mine is so off that I screw up my computer, my phones, the answering machine, the satellite dish/TV, and the radio in my SUV. I hardly use my hands to touch anything because I'm tired of getting shocked. I close the car door with my elbow and turn on lights with my wrist.

I've started wearing a magnetic necklace and that seems to help, or maybe it is just my imagination. I'll be curious to see what others say. Lisa
  6. momcatpat

momcatpat New Member

I was at the grocery store yesterday and every time I touched a shelf I was shocked. I know if someone was watching me they thought I was crazy. I cursed and jumped every time I touched a shelf.
  7. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Put a humidifier in your home, or a crock pot, or one of those little fountains is the best, you need moisture in the air, that will stop it cold turkey, 100% guaranteed by Jacibart!

Jaci
  8. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I have noticed the during the past few days that when I turn on or off a light switch I see actual sparks fly. It's scary! I don't think it has anything to do with FMS though. I know people who don't have it that see sparks fly. It's static electricity and depends on how dry it is in your house. Also, regarding the article you included, what does it mean when they talk about "sleeping grounded vs. those sleeping on a placebo pad"? What is a placebo pad? Thanks!

Annette2
  9. jolly

jolly New Member

That was a nice article about grounding to the earth. I believe that because on days when I wake up and walk down to the mail box (a pretty good distance) I feel more energetic. Of course there's many days that I crawl to the living room couch! I have a big static problem,too, and have the kettle going on the woodburner all the time. We should all probably be very careful filling our cars with gas because of the static thing - touch something before you touch the nozzle. Another lady, teach maybe, wrote about blowing out 2 computers one day at work. I almost got fired from a waitress job once because I kept screwing up the brand new $10,000 computer. I was just making our bed after washing everything and got zapped big time with the wool blanket. Jo Ellen
  10. bubblegum

bubblegum New Member

I have the same static electricity shock syndrome. lol Just today I went to unplug the portable dishwasher and KABLAM...Sparks flew, the plug and socket burned black, but thankfully I am still alive. I shocked my way through 3 computers in less than one year. When I got the 4th one I did an external ground that ran directly to the outside breaker box. That was 3 years ago and I am still using that 4th computer. I hate turning on the lights. It's scary. There is no way I am going to rub my hands over a light socket to de-static me! I agree with Jaci about the moisture level in your home. I have less problem with static when I have the cool mist humidifier running. Good luck.
    Sandy
  11. j-bearmama

j-bearmama New Member

I learned in grade school that the BEST way to avoid being "zapped" my static is to touch something that IS grounded before you touch something metal.

when you are getting in your car. touch the tires first! just an idea.

it may also help to rub a dryer sheet on your hands first.
    Just keep one in your pocket.

I have a question.

Does anyone else "interfere" with electronic signals?
    I can't be NEAR a CB or a radio.
    I do ok near the tv with cable, but with regualr tv I make static on the picture. and on radio stuff, I cause static too.

I don't have this problem in the car though.
    so maybe those wonderful grounded tires help me there.

cell phones and cordless phones are all staticy when I'm near them.
    when I'm on one. I have to have my hand on something metal.

Kind of reminds me of the alluminum foil on the "rabbit ears" on the tv as kids. :)

however I have had this "phenomenon" since Iwas a child. not just since I got FMS.

At work we wear head sets to talk back and forth on...
    They all work FINE until I get to work.

I have a VERY hard time hearing on them from all the static, it is frustrating. ( static and tinnitus OH BOY)
    I have mentioned it to my drs. before, and they laughed it off.

but one dr office had one of those touch lamps and I showed him! I never TOUCHED it. just put my hand about 8 inches from it and it came on. ( you should have seen his face!)

My mom had one and I wasn't allowed to sit by it. SHe kept a 3 way bulb in it and if I went too close to it it would cycle through the brightness levels and then go off.

I think she finally sold it in a yard sale. hehehe

Just wondering if anyone else had this problem. or if you could shed some light on WHY it happens.

However, you can have LOTS of fun zapping people!

God bless and sleep deeply!
    Heather
  12. onesmileymyley

onesmileymyley New Member

I always get that. I will be shopping and every time I reach for something on the shelf zap zap zap. I hate that. i also get it when i get touch my car or anything for that matter.
  13. Lee

Lee New Member

I know some of you or possibly all of you have heard about how static electricity has caused numbers of vehicles to catch fire while filling up with gas at the gas station.
    I saw on the news on two seperate stations, video footage of two seperate individuals who unfortunetly caught themselves & their cars on fire by themselves having static electricity. It was a real eyeopener!! Especially since I too am one of those people who can shock the fire out of anyone or anything that I come into contact with.

The key is to touch something else to ground yourself before you reach for the gas nozzle.

Just want to remind you guys to be careful.

God Bless,
    Lee
  14. AJME

AJME New Member

what does it mean when they talk about "sleeping grounded vs. those sleeping on a placebo pad"? What is a placebo pad? Thanks!

I don't know what a placebo pad is. I would think one that is not grounded. I got this article off a site advertising a tethering device that is suppose to ground your bed.
  15. granmama

granmama New Member

Before I was de-ironed, I could touch any metal and get shocked. Grocery carts, metal doors, cans. I can remember seeing sparks under the covers as I moved in the bed. And I would have this during the summer time as well.

I don't know if having too much iron stored in the body caused it, but it's a thought since your post.

Since the removal of my stored iron I have not had the frequency of shocks as I had in the past, go figure?

I have heard that people with really high iron counts will set off metal detectors.

Everyone's replies were very interesting.
    granmama
  16. MEBryan

MEBryan New Member

I have the same static electrical problem in the UK summer time when it's dry atmosphere.

The oddest thing was when we had a cat. The poor thing learned to keep clear of me. I accidently found that if I put a knuckled finger near her nose, a spark would jump with a crack and poor Topsy would run off fully charged!
  17. pammypoo

pammypoo New Member

for the past few years I noticed that when I drove past light posts at night they would go out, then come back on when I got further away. I drove my daughter around to prove it to her. Glad to know I am not the only one. Also static in bed covers and on car door.
    pammypoo
  18. DC77OI

DC77OI New Member

The National Dysautonomia Research Foundation held a conference in DC (07/18-21/02). They concluded the following to be Related/Overlapping Conditions: CFIDS, FM, MCS, NMH, Neurocardiogenic Syncope, OI, Orthostatic Hypotension, Orthostatic Tachycardia, Gulf War Syndromes, Post-Traumatic Syndromes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Looked up MCS & found this:
    electromagnetic force emitters: hairdryer, alarm clock, microwave, computer, etc…heaters, wiring, and fluorescent lights, electric doorbells.. "After more than 25 years of intensive study, the health and safety conscious Swedish government has established a safety limit for exposure to ELF magnetic field at 2.5 mG, and VLF magnetic fields at only 0.25 mG…. What this possibly means is that if someone consistently experiences exposure which exceeds the standard, that person could be at risk for developing health problems which can range from headaches, fatigue, and dizziness to skin rashes, miscarriage, leukemia, and cancer." http://www.lessemf.com/emf-news.html

(Isn't that why they had to lower the radiation in microwaves & put lead over you for X-rays?..

www.medsci.uu.se/occmed/webkurs/trends/emf.htm
    >>Hypersensitivity to electricity Individuals sensitive to electricity can experience problems when working at a visual display terminal, spending time in rooms with electrical fittings , preparing food at the stove, watching TV, travelling by car, train or plane or in any way exposed to electromagnetic radiation. Sensitive individuals exhibit a very wide range of symptoms, hardly ever being limited to one organ system. The most common symptoms experienced are dizziness, headache, fatigue, memory and difficulties in concentration, skin problems, eye problems, heart palpitations and swelling of the legs. Hypersensitive persons have also been found to produce higher levels of stress hormones…There are no specific tests available to diagnose this condition and of major importance is that treatable diseases are ruled out…..It is also important to notice that magnetic fields about 0,5mT and higher can be responsible for flicker on the VDT screen, thereby affecting the quality of the picture which may add to eye strain. The U.S. Office of technology Assessment summarises how the fields may affect cell function in the following ways:
     modulation of ion and protein flow across the cell membrane
     chromosome damage and interference with DNA synthesis and RNA transcription
     interaction with the cell response to different hormones and enzymes
     interaction with the cell response to chemical neurotransmitters
     interaction with the immune response of cells

Hmmmmm....... My email is kbkswgdc@yahoo.com
  19. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

When we all went to Florida.

Every time my daughter walked close and our arms or elbows touched we`d both feel a shock. Could it have been the dry atmosphere?

We live in England, and in the summer my ex husband used to get a shock from his car on closing the door.

Both the ex and my daughter are very spiritual, in that they see and feel things out of the ordinary, spooky.....
    I could tell you a few stories...

Pat.
  20. nldelaine

nldelaine New Member

I too am always getting shocked.

Not FMS but too much static.

I also have to be careful with my bank machine cards becasue it messes with them as well.

I use fabric softener for my clothes.