I Have eColi, Diverticulitis, or Colitis, Oy

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hope everyone here is doing well. Me, not so much.

Last Sun. evening, I cooked a frozen hamburger patty and very soon, was doubled over in pain. I cooked it very well and thought it was safe. Since then, I've had bloating, pain, gas, a horrible headache, and fatigue. I saw the doc yesterday and he said it could be any one of the above. The treatment is the same, so I'm on Flagyl and Bactrim both for a week. Then, if it isn't better, we have to do something else. I had a couple of very tender sites on the left side when he palpitated the area.

I'm thinking it's e-Coli because I don't think the other two would cause the headache from hell. Also, to have it occur just after eating the burger seems more than a coincidence.

My work schedule this week is very light. I went in from 6:45 to 10:30 this morning and came home and slept. I've lost 8 pounds since last Sun. night. That's the silver lining but not a good way to lose weight. I'm trying to eat bland like I did before I had my gallbladder removed. This reminds me of how I felt just before the surgery.

Of course, I watched "The Last Lecture" on TV when this happened. It's about the guy who had pancreatic cancer and only lived a few months. He did the special and wrote the book to help others learn to live more fully while alive. His first symptoms were the same as mine. He was initially misdiagnosed with hepatitis. It's not helpful to see the worst-case scenario when one is sick. On the other hand, it is enough to have made me take this seriously and get right on it.

I'll update y'all as I finish up the ABX. Again, I miss not being here as much and keep everyone in my prayers.

Love, Mikie

2. Didoe

Didoe New Member

hi mickie
    excuse the personal question, you dont have to answer publically but consider whether you are having normal bowel movements; that would be at least once a day and firm, not sloshy like diarrhea. You can be severely constipated and not realize it because there may be irregular or watery stools coming and there's still feces backed up. I have IBS; daily I use both a fiber supplement and stool softener and force myself to eat vegetables as raw as possible (yeah even with IBS, we need the fiber) and APPLES.
    If you can eat apples, eat as many as you can tolerate, that old adage an apple a day keeps the doctor at bay is true.
    So the point of all the above is it may not be the burger in the sense of eColi, but eating meat for people w/IBS, most of us have slow motility, meaning food passes thru slower than other folks, so if you're backed up internally and then throw red meat in there, you sure will get cramps.
    red meat is one of the hardest things to digest and slowest to move thru the bowels, of any one, and its worse for us.

if you can handle a couple of weeks of no meat, try to eat good yogurt with dark honey like buckwheat honey, fruits and steamed vegetables and use as little oils/butter etc as you can stand. it will clean you out, something always good for a body and relax your internals.

good luck...
  3. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi!
    Sounds like your having a time with this stuff! sorry to hear of all the troubles!!,,,,the bland diet sounds like a good plan!,,,,,Hopeing and praying that you will get over this soon!!,,,,,,,Sis
  4. stick2013

stick2013 Member

I have had Diverticulitis at least 16 times in my life. it can be very painful. The ONLY way to an exact diagnosis of Diverticulitis is a CT scan. I know my body so well now that the Dr's don't require me to have a CT Scan. BUT that isn't always a good thing. If you have a perforation you can actually die from this.

Flagyl and Levaquin are the 2 drugs that I take when I have a flare up, but the recommended time is 10 days, not 7. Flagyl can also cause headaches as a side effect. Plus a nasty taste in your mouth.

If bending over is painful on the left side then it is probably Diverticulitis.

Hope that you feel better.....
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I appreciate your concern.

Didoe, I used to have IBS, so I know what it is like. It went away after I started on the Doxycycline treatment years ago and has never come back. Ever since last Mon., I have had severe diarrhea until today.

Sis, thanks for your thoughts and prayers. I really appreciate it.

Julie, sounds like you've been through the same thing. I really cooked the burger well but I suppose it's possible there was contamination from some of the raw patties. I try to be very careful but it can happen. Are you a diver? I always wanted to go to Belize to dive.

Stick, I had the headache before the Flagyl but it's good to know that it can cause headaches too. I can't take any of the fluoroquinolones, like Cipro or Levaquin as I'm allergic to some forms of fluoride. That is why I'm taking the Bactrim instead. If this doesn't clear things up, I'm sure the doc will get a scan.

Georgia, thanks so much for your good wishes.

You guys are great. I really appreciate all your wise counsel, prayers, and thoughts. Thank you.

Love, Mikie

6. findmind

findmind New Member

Well, how dare you have my symptoms!LOL!

Mine, well they started Friday, after trying to get a dry-cleaned futon cover onto a sofa that weighs about 65 pounds: I "slipped" my L4/5 disc..again...and started ice/heat and naproxen. Within a day, I had severe diarrhea and horrible cramping. Stil do, as a matter of fact (3 days later).

Have to get a CT scan of chest to see if I have a thymus (part of my myasthenia gravis work-up) on Monday, and guest coming in on Tuesday, so if not better, I'm going to doctor on Wednesday!

Cannot for the life of me remember what I've had to eat, but don't think it's ecoli.

I hope YOU feel much better really fast...who needs this?

Love ya,
    findmind
  7. springwater

springwater Well-Known Member

Ive had severe stomach problems....gastritis, IBS which caused a headache i thought was going to explode my head, dizziness - couldnt walk straight for couple of months, nausea and very severe alternating diarreaoh and constipation....I lived for a couple of months on soup and lentils and gruel.

we always think it is something really fatal when we are ill, becoz we feel so so rottten but most cases it isnt.

Mine turned out to be stress related...the doc cured me by giving me an analgesic and a tranquilizer. This,after having gone to at least nine docs (I kid u not).

I realise yours may be due to bacteria or something else...just wanted you not to worry so much because it most prob wont be that fatal disease we are always worrying about.

God Bless
  8. springwater

springwater Well-Known Member

Ive had severe stomach problems....gastritis, IBS which caused a headache i thought was going to explode my head, dizziness - couldnt walk straight for couple of months, nausea and very severe alternating diarreaoh and constipation....I lived for a couple of months on soup and lentils and gruel.

we always think it is something really fatal when we are ill, becoz we feel so so rottten but most cases it isnt.

Mine turned out to be stress related...the doc cured me by giving me an analgesic and a tranquilizer. This,after having gone to at least nine docs (I kid u not).

I realise yours may be due to bacteria or something else...just wanted you not to worry so much because it most prob wont be that fatal disease we are always worrying about.

God Bless
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Findmind, I'm sorry you are having such a bad time of it. I hope you are feeling better. Let us know.

Julie, I think I asked you the same question some time ago. I'm having a deja vu moment here. Sorry. My memory is really bad when I'm tired. I brought home some Montezuma's Revenge from Mexico one year even though I was very careful. What I don't get is that we are warned not to eat the fresh produce in third-world countries but we import them to our supermarkets. What's up with that?

Springwater, I'm not worried that this is something fatal but having seen the program about the guy who did have a fatal disease made me glad I saw the doc. I don't "over worry" but I think a good reminder that we need to get any new symptoms checked out is helpful. I am starting to feel better but I still can't eat anything or I suffer, even with bland food. This is definitely not IBS. I've had that before but not since the 2 1/2 years on the Doxycycline. Thanks for your words of encouragement.

Grammy, thank you for your good wishes. I appreciate them.

Love, Mikie

10. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Sending you love, hugs, prayers and a very speedy recovery. I wish that you weren't feeling bad.

I'll be in Kissimmee next week with the extended family. Thank you again for all of your help and advice on traveling there. It looks like it's going to be really roasty/toasty hot!

I will be thinking about you and hoping that you are feeling MUCH BETTER.

Love, Erika
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thank you both for your kind good wishes. Tleaw, I'm so sorry you have gastro problems. I've only been sick ten days but I'm miserable. I can't imagine how horrible it must be to have chronic problems. Even back when I had IBS, it wasn't like this.

Erika, I hope you have a wonderful time. Yes, it is very hot and humid here. The Orlando area is inland and doesn't get the nice breezes which make it more tolerable here in the summer. Let us know how the trip turns out.

BTW, I am feeling only slightly better and still can eat almost nothing. I am swollen around my midriff and fear there may be more doctoring ahead for me. I'll let y'all know.

Love, Mikie
    [This Message was Edited on 08/05/2008]