I have fibromyalgia and I cough , does anyone know ???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jamjet, Oct 29, 2008.

1. jamjet

jamjet New Member

I have rhuematoid arthritis and fibromyalgia.
    I read everything I can on both message boards.
    I have not read anything about coughing.
    I know air conditioning gets me started because
    as it stops running, I stop caughing and then it
    starts up, I start up. But, often in the early evening
    I start coughing. Sometimes in the morning soon as
    I'm up and moving around I start coughing. Takes
    awhile for it to stop. Air condition is not always on
    and I still get to coughing.
    Hardley ever in the middle of the day.
    Does anyone else have the coughing with their fibro?

[This Message was Edited on 10/29/2008]
  2. justshea

justshea New Member

Do you cough outside? If not, then I would get the air conditioner checked, it may just need one of those allergy filters..just guessing.
  3. grannycfs

grannycfs Member

I have both FM and ME/CFS and in the early years (I'm coming up on 25 years) I had a chronic cough. But I also had periods of low-grade fever and sore throat. Do you have any other upper respiratory symptoms besides the cough or evidence of fever - either low grade or sub-normal?

4. jamjet

jamjet New Member

Thanks for all you ideas and help.
    I know the air cond. gets it going because of the reasons I gave. I keep my air cond. filter clean. It happens in the car, air, in our church, air. etc.
    But it happens in the winter. I never had this problem till the past couple of years.. Have had arthritis 25 years, fibro maybe 6 years. Moving around does stir it up and I don't stop untill I settle down.
    I get low grade fever,mild sore throat off and on with my arthritis, but then don't always cough.
    No, I haven't been to a doc. I had to tell my doc yrs. ago that I had RA. He said no, no, your too young. I was 42. I did alot of reading, got him to give me a blood test, and sure enough, I had RA.
    I only take Alieve when I need to go out. No other meds. Cod liver oil caps. plus other vitamins.
    Just was hopeing someone else with fibro had the same cough. Again thanks
  5. mujuer

mujuer New Member

Do you also struggle to breathe? Do you cough and then wheeze for awhile and start coughing again? I am just asking because my sister has this problem every single time she eats. She has lupus and fm. We always thought it was due to her lupus but now she has discovered that somehow her spine has formed into a c shape. In reading about scoliosis, coughing and breathing can start because of this curvature. She has an appt. next week to check this out. She had no idea that there was anything wrong. She just had some back pain and had it x-rayed and it has curved that much without her really knowing it. Just a though. P
  6. daylight

daylight New Member

Hey Jamjet,

Have the doctors recently check your CBC counts? The reason why I ask is that recently my doctors think that I have lupus and poosible scleroderma on top of the RA,FM,Raynauds,sjorgen's. WHEWWW . Breathing,swolling,coughing trouble is common with lupus,scleroderma,and sjorgen's syndrome. Also sinusitis. MCTD is rare but it does happen and was overlooked on me for several years. Docotrs blamed everything on the FM and didn't do the testing until my joints were deforming and I could walk hardly at all.
    Hopefully its nothing major. But Please get it looked into. =)

Hope you feel better sweetie.

7. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

I have FMS and I have had a cronic cough for years now which is getting progressively worse. It is a dry cough but sometimes with phlem. In the latter years I thought it was due to my perscriptions. In the last two years I was diagonoised with asmatha and recently they are going to test my lungs so I am going in to a pulmanary doctor and I will be having a bariom test. I also have a bad case of gerds which can cause a cough even if you don't feel like you have bad acid reflex. Do you have gerds? Investigate that. Since you have Rhuematoid and that is a inflamation disease it could be possible your lungs are getting inflammed. I would pursue this as it could lead to something more serious like COPD, asmatha or possibly gerds. I have lived with mine so long that my freinds would comment it on it however, it came to be part of my life now I am having a hard time breathing and am having alot of difficulties. Don't let up until you find out what is causing it. Bobby
  8. Timaca

Timaca New Member

For those of you who are coughing...you might want to get tested for Chlamydia Pneumonia. Cpn can cause CFS (among other symptoms). For further info see www.cpnhelp.org. A blood test for IgG and IgM antibodies to Cpn is easy to do.

9. glenpr

glenpr New Member

my physician said that it was due to my sinuses, gave me a prescription for some nose spray and prescription cough medicine and it has helped.

love glen
  10. jamjet

jamjet New Member

Well it's so kind of you all to respond. Thank you very much.
    To answer your questions. I don't have sinuses problems, stuffed up head or nose. I sleep well.
    I don't have any problem breathing.
    I don't cough during the day, not even every night. Just maybe three or four times a week .
    Once I settle down in bed, relax watching TV, I soon stop coughing.
    Same in the mourning. Once I've gotten dressed, gotten my coffee, it's stops.
    I just wondered if others with fibro had this problem. It seems not ???
    Oh well................eileen again thanks
  11. SweetT

SweetT New Member

I cough whenever air is stuffy or dusty. It really bothers me, because I don't smoke; however, I am exposed to alot of airborne irritants at work and at home.
  12. jole

jole Member

I have fibro and can't take any airconditioning without a sore throat, swollen glands and a cough. It's especially bad if I ride in a car with the AC on. I wish I knew what caused it, but it has been going on since day one for me. The next day I will be very hoarse and my voice is also very raspy.

If I ride in the back seat it's not quite as severe. It gets very hot here in the summer, so I have just learned to suffer with it.

Hope you find an answer. ****Jole****