I have FMS...but is it possible I could have developed CFS???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Beckula, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Beckula

Beckula New Member

I hit my head and fell on my hip on Jan. 18 and I have been having headaches, fatigue, lots of different aches and pains...I have been attributing them all to FMS or a flare-up--is this just a temp thing, or could it be possible I actually developed or triggered CFS???

Yesterday I also got a sore throat and it still hurts today, now with a cough once in a while. I am guessing this is a cold--but those are the only symptoms...I thought a sore throat was also a CFS thing.

I wish I could just figure it all out. I guess I'll know in a few months, if I still feel this way. By then, any head injury type symptoms should be gone and I'll have a clearer picture.
  2. Sue50

Sue50 New Member

in my opinion you might want to check with your Dr, if you hit your head it could cause several problems.
    I have FM and I did get CFS a year after being diagnosed with FM. I get sore throats too, I have always thought it was an FM thing. Good luck to you.
  3. Beckula

Beckula New Member

I went to the doc the first time (the same day as the accident, Jan. 18) to get three stitches and to get my hip checked out.

I went back to the doc on Jan. 23 because my headache was worse and not going away, I was dizzy and feeling very tired. My blood pressure was 160/90, pretty high for someone with low blood pressure, so they thought that I may have had a migraine. He said I probably had a FMS flare-up.

Also, he refered me to an orthopedist, since I have been diagnosed with bursitis in that same hip before and also to look at my shoulders, which have been giving me trouble.

I am kind of repeating myself from my other posts, but that's basically it...I go to the orthopedist on Feb. 7.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/28/2006]
  4. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

I think, from what I have read, that many people regard FMS and CFS as the same condition, except that on one end of the spectrum the patient has mainly pain (FMS) and on the other end of the spectrum the patient has mainly fatigue (CFS). If the person is in the middle, they have varying degrees of both, as well as lots of other symptoms that are sometimes common to both ends of the spectrum. Did I explain that clearly?

I would be concerned about hitting my head - but you appear to have had hat one checked out and it is okay.

Falling over or tripping is very common for CFS people: we often fall over nothing. Did you remember what caused your fall? Could it have been your condition that caused the fall?

I know that when I have fallen, on several occasions, some of my CFS symptoms flare up for a few days, but yours seems to be going on longer.

One of the real negatives of this condition, I think, is that symptoms can change over time, as well as flare up and then go down,

I hope you feel better soon.
  5. jaltair

jaltair New Member

My doc feels that FMS and CFS are the same. When I first went to her, I was diagnosed with the FMS (3 yr ago ?), then after becoming severely fatigued for greater than 4 - 6 mo., she said I had CFS after my sleep study was negative for a sleep disorder.

It was good that you went to the doctor to have yourself checked out when you fell. The fall may have started a flare, and then on top the cold.

I don't have a sore throat with the CFS, but I have very sore and sometimes swollen glands in my neck. Sometimes when I swallow, they hurt. This is only off and on. Right now when I feel the right side, it hurts and the left doesn't.

These DD's are really DD's aren't they?

I hope that you feel better soon. This is a good place to come and talk about what you have, I agree. There's some anonymity with it, and you don't feel like it'll interfere with relationships.

Take care, Jeannette
  6. Beckula

Beckula New Member

Yeah--I trip all the time! This time I was in the space between the kitchen and the dining room--like a doorway--and I slipped on some cleaner and fell backwards, hit my head HARD on the wall behind me, so much that I fell on my hip--I am just glad I didn't break any bones :)

I have also been super thirsty all day long!

And yes, I feel like I can't talk to my family, husband, friends, co-workers--anyone--very much about things that are bothering me regarding FMS. It can get quite annoying bottling it all up inside :(
  7. Beckula

Beckula New Member

I believe I "triggered" (or whatever you want to call it) my fibromyalgia when I was 16--I fell down some stairs. I suppose I think it's possible the triggering thing could have happened again or just got me into a huge flare-up...I am not sure.

I have also heard both sides to the FMS and CFS debate--so many people think it's one disease and some don't think it is. Personally, I never saw the difference. I guess research will tell us later, hopefully.

I do think I "caught" my sore throat from a co-worker or resident at work, probably b/c I have been well all winter, haha.

WakemeUp, I feel different than before the fall--more pain, more fatigue, more headaches, etc. They checked me out at the clinic and did simple nerological (sp?)-type tests, but did not give me a head scan--I was wondering if they should, but it didn't seem needed.

Also, thanks for the comment about my profile, that made me smile:) I really having a caring spirit and I went to school to be a journalist/newspaper reporter, but this career is less stressful and better suited for me.

The DD adults really remind me of kids sometimes and they aren't anything like I imagined--I am really attached to them and love them like my family.