I have forgotten how to sleep for 5 days now

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lurkernomore, May 11, 2006.

1. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

I know I am not alone in this, but after the past four nights, it surely feels lonely. I did not go to sleep at all on Sunday night. I figured it was okay as I could nap during the day on Monday if need be. Tried the napping, no luck then either.

Monday night was no different so tried napping the next day. I lie there with my brain racing and yes, this was after taking a Klonopin, too.

My house is a wreck, laundry is piled to the ceiling and everyone here knows what I am going through but seems to just ignore it. Normally I wouldn't care, but after five days and four nights with perhaps a collective total of three to four hours sleep, I am feeling a bit weepy.

To make matters worse, I know that now I am obsessing over my lack of sleep and sabatoging my chances of getting sleep, because when I lie down, my brain starts thinking "okay now, come on sleep!"

This cannot be good for my other problems, such as diabetes and SVT. I have tried to make sure I am getting a proper amount of sunlight each day but it just isn't cutting it. If I can feel safe behind the wheel of my car this afternoon I think I will go to the health food store up the street and buy some melatonin to see if that may get me back on track.

Has anyone else here gone this long without sleep? I have never been a great sleeper, but this is getting ridiculous. I've tried warm baths, warm milk, no caffiene, no stimulation such as television or computer for two hours before bed. Forget reading though, too hard to do when my eyes are crossed, LOL! Somebody, please just sedate me now! Arrrggghhh!
  2. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Bumping for purely self-imdulgent hope of responses. Gee, I have been awake too long. I am turning into an excellent typ*o*-ist!
  3. snooker11

snooker11 New Member

i went for about 2 months without sleeping when I was first diagnosed. I started going insane. i couldn't retain any information, and my pain was tenfold. are you taking meds? get on ambien STAT! that's what saved me. Gradually, I started being able to sleep again.

4. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

call your Doctor,you need to change sleep meds.Klonopin is more anti-seizure(i think)nothing worked for stage 4 sleep except for Trazadone for me-but call your doctor,you should not go without sleep for too long.Linda
  5. WoodstocksMusic

WoodstocksMusic New Member

it is annoying and gets me really down when I do this...

usually it is tension or my pain meds that do this to me...call your doc...consider Lunesta that sleep med works good for me.
  6. sherri_baby

sherri_baby New Member

If you don't get some sleep real soon I would go to the ER if I was you. I think that this is really dangerous and I hope you get some sleep really soon.

Good luck,
    Sherri
  7. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

There was a doctor, not sure but I think he was supposed to be one of the big bosses in the E.R., who had recently gone through a major trauma and his life was being threatened. As a result, the guy had been hiding out and I am sure he was not sleeping.

At the beginning of the show he acted as if he was high and had nosebleeds, making me think he must have been snorting cocaine. He finally went off the deep end and lost it completely in the middle of the street.

Later, it was determined that his toxicology screen was clean and he suffered from severe sleep deprivation as well as PTSD.

This is really sort of scaring me now as I have still only managed to sleep two hours, at most a night. And I first posted this began Sunday night, but it was Saturday night. I remember now, because I got on up and went to Sunday School and church and was certain I could come home and nap. I tried, but I just laid there with my mind buzzing.

There has been no trauma whatsoever of late, in my life so I cannot figure out what has triggered this. For all of you who have responded, I want to thank you so much for all your kind words and support. And I owe all an apology because I failed to mention that I am on a sleep med, a very strong one, called Restoril, but it just is not phasing me at all. I am not even drowsy after taking it.

What can all this mean? Have I become an addict to the Restoril? I refuse to up the dosage and I hear that is what a person does, never mind, what I began to write could sound very accusatory and I would never want to assume how anyone else should take their meds.

I suppose I should just close now as my mind is definitely not clear and I would just die if I hurt someone or offended anyone here. I just want to say that I love you all for trying to help me figure this out. And I am, as of a week tomorrow, still awake! I did sleep sometime between five and seven this morning but it was all over after that.

Now my heart is racing and fingers feel numb so am thinking the sleep deprivation is triggering an anxiety attack. If I can recognize them I can usually "breathe" my way through them. I really, really just want a good solid eight, heck, I would love a twelve hour sleep right now, just to feel human again.
  8. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Okay, I have thought and thought and the only possible thing that I can think of which may be interfering with my sleep may sound like a ridiculous idea. But I want to just put it out here and see what all you "unfortunately seasoned sufferers" think, okay?

I have been having a tremendous amount of pain with the osteoarthritis in my lower spine for about two months now. I am aware of it and do what I can to baby it, using a heating pad and taking pain meds as directed as well as an anti-inflammatory. It seems to keep the pain at bay for as long as I am awake. Well, at least, to me, on a scale of 1-10, keeps it at about 4, but it does tend to go to about a 7 come evening, or so I thought.

The thought ran through my addled-brain this morning though, that perhaps the pain is really bothering me more than my mind is recognizing and interfering with my sleep. It has always seemed to be more of a bugger at night but once I have taken my night pain med and the Restoril, up til now, it has allowed me sleep.

So I am thinking that we, all of us who deal with pain on a daily and unrelenting basis, could possibly be capable of blocking out pain much more than we know and then something has to give. In my case, it has been sleep. I think I will call my rheumatologist in a bit and see if he thinks this sounds plausible and will consider calling something else in for me ASAP.

Does this sound completely insane to anyone else reading this? I won't be offended if anyone tells me it does. As I said, I realize that my thought processes have been greatly compromised from nearly a full week with no more than two hours sleep per night. So any input, positive or negative, is welcome. Thanks again for all your support and compassion. You truly are a great group here and I hope I am not sounding whiny or grumpy! Love to all. :)
  9. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

I agree that pain control is a huge factor in getting quality sleep. I think there are other things going on which affect sleep too, but even minimal pain can interfere, and when it's ongoing it can add up. It seems as though this disease ends up in a big loop with symptoms causing more symptoms causing more symptoms and on and on.
  10. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

And golly, I hope I got your name right! If not, I do apologize. Yes, I am definitely thinking right now that the spinal pain is what is kicking in and messing everything up.

The thing is that we are so often referred to and thought of as hypos and embellishers, that we condition ourselves to, what I believe now, a dangerous level. I have a call in to my rheumy and he is seeing patients, but is very good about returning my calls as he knows I would never call for anything less than what I deem an emergency.

And I think that this has gone on long enough. I do not want to wind up having some sort of a (how is this spelled)psychotic (?) episode, or taking it out on my loved ones who do not deserve it. Hopefully, I will have some answers soon and I promise to keep you all posted. Pain is a very complex and puzzling adventure in life, isn't it?
  11. PITATOO

PITATOO Member

Yes, I have a few years ago I went almost 12 days like this. I was one of the most horrible times in my life. I thought I was going crazy. I would get up for an hour or so and try to go back to bed and then over and over again. Ambien did nothing for me but make me more groggy and really spaced out the next day because I never really slept. At the time I was having a lot of problem with RLS. What finally got me some sleep was soma. It is a mild relaxer but if you have never taken it can knock you on your butt. I guess it is very addictive but the Dr. wanted me to get sleep no matter what. I used it for a few nights and then got back into the swing again and have been pretty much okay every since. I take melatonin now and valerian root. I sleep pretty well now. My RLS is not a problem any longer either so I am sure that is part of it. Just hang in there and try different things. I know hard tough it is. You almost want to hit the bottle until you passout but you know that would make it worse - good luck - Bobby
  12. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

It is so sweet of you to take the time and encourage me. The thing is, when the muscles get really tense, I do cave and take one Soma per day. This, along with the pain med and the Restoril and still....no sleep, nothing. I lie there feeling as if I have had about four pots of coffee administered via IV. Oh...and no, it's not too much caffiene. That stuff has been history for quite some time now.
  13. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

He called me back himself and seemed upset that I had waited until today to call him. I told him that I just didn't want him thinking that I was a big druggie and he told me he would have no grounds to think that as I have never requested an increase or change in any of my meds.

But he did call me in something different for sleep. It is called Dalmane. It is not new because when I teched in a pharmacy in the 90's, we had it then. But just my luck, my pharmacy did not have it and tried to put me off until Monday.

I told them the reason I need it tonight is because I have already gone just 24 hours shy of one week without sleep and asked them to transfer it to another pharmacy. Oh they acted so put out! But I am supposed to call them back in about five minutes and make sure they have it, so wish me luck and a good night's sleep, please!
  14. Amy143

Amy143 New Member

Hi, I did not sleep for years. I did alot of research on precursors to melatonin. Not melatonin the supplement, but how B vitamins are the precursors to rebuilding the melatonin in our brains. May I suggest you try, right before bed, on an empty stomach Country Life Coenzyme B's (vitamin supplement). Even if you have digestive issues, you still can digest these, they bipass the liver. They knock me out....

or I take Grapeseed extract and they knock me out also. :)

In hopes of getting well soon~~~
  15. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

L-tryptophan is an amino acid in turkey that help's you sleep.

Can buy in healthfood store, also 5-HTP is precurssor to it, if you can't find it.

Sweet dreams( I hope:),

Claudia
  16. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

I have enjoyed three nights of great, restful sleep now. And I am not sure, but it feels as if I have gone "all the way to sleep," and not just that "sleeping with one foot in the door of sleep and the other foot in wakefulness," that we all sometimes have to deal with.

But I do not want to have to rely on prescription sleep meds forever and so I am making a note of your supplemental suggestions and will give them a try very soon. I feel as if what with other meds I have to take and the diabetes to boot, my liver does not need to have to deal with anything else having to pass through and be processed by it. Thank you all so much for your help. Sleeping is a blessing!