I have had an ongoing UTI for a month/ IC?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LollieBoo, Apr 9, 2006.

  1. LollieBoo

    LollieBoo New Member

    Cranberry juice, low starch, no sugar-- I am on my THIRD round of AB's... lots of pain, nausea, sweating... what gives?? How do you know when you've "crossed over" to IC?

    Any help is wildly appreciated!
    [This Message was Edited on 04/10/2006]
  2. alaska3355

    alaska3355 New Member

    I read a post yesterday- think it was Acesnanna- and she said to drink a shotful of apple cider vinegar, then a shotful of water. Try not to breathe while drinking them. She says it really works...haven't had to try it myself. I imagine the vinegar wouldn't taste the greatest, but it's cheap! Hope it helps.... Terri
  3. Dlebbole

    Dlebbole New Member

    If it is IC, the cranberry juice will cause more pain and problems. Are you sensitive to high potassium foods? This is another clue that it may be IC. Avocado, banana, any food or supplement that is high in potassium will aggravate IC. Good luck,Diane
  4. kbak

    kbak Member

    As a sufferer with chronic cystitis, I have found 2 things that work extremely well.

    1. D-mannose: D-Mannose is a natural occurring simple sugar that appears to be a safe, practical alternative for the treatment of urinary tract infections (UTI’s). D-Mannose is absorbed eight times slower than glucose, and when ingested, is not converted to glycogen or stored in the liver, but rather goes directly to the blood stream from the upper GI tract. Hence, D-Mannose is mostly filtered through the kidneys and routed to the bladder.

    The bladder lining is comprised of polysaccharide molecules. Finger-like projections on the cell surface of E. coli bacteria adhere to these molecules, initiating an infection. In the presence of D-Mannose, E. coli preferentially attach to D-Mannose molecules forming a complex which is expelled with the next voiding.

    D-Mannose probably works 80-90% of the time because the bacteria disabled by Mannose causes 80-90% of UTI’s. Whereas antibiotic treatment radically changes GI bacterial populations required for good health, potentially causing fungal or gastrointestinal infections, D-Mannose removes “bad” bacteria by attachment and voiding

    2. A product called Prelief. It's from the maker's of Benno. Taken before meals it helps neutralize the acid in foods which are thought to irratate the urinary tract. You can find it in the antacid section of Lg. grocery stores, Walgreens, ect.

    Hope this helps,
  5. LollieBoo

    LollieBoo New Member

    Thanks for all of the input! I will try this- starting by nixing the cranberry juice!
  6. Smiffy

    Smiffy Member

    If you think you may have IC, please don't take cider vinegar or anything else acidic.

    Well done on cutting out the sugar - also cut out spices, sweeteners, caffeine, sodas, tomatoes, vinegar & all pickles etc., citrus etc. The only fruit I can eat is pears, & I only drink water. You will need to see a urologist for a diagnosis, which is usually by cystoscopy & biopsy.

    You will find a lot of information and advice on treatment and diet at the Interstitial Cystitis Network message board.

  7. mme_curie68

    mme_curie68 New Member

    In the feminine care aisle, there are over-the-counter tablets called AZO standard that will help with the burning sensation. The medicine binds to the smooth muscle cells in the bladder and urethra (and makes you pee bright orange).

    I had gone so far as to have hydrodilation of my bladder to relieve the symptoms of what my urologist and I thought was IC, but the symptoms wouldn't go away even after the procedure and being on a strict IC diet for months.

    Come to find out, the really problem was chronic yeast infections that were causing the whole pelvic area, including the bladder to spasm. I was put on a six week protocol of diflucan and had to go to learn how to relax the vulvovaginal muscles with biofeedback. Talk about weirdly interesting - they actually put little sensors right on the labia to measure muscle contractions and relaxations.

    Basically, you deliberately contract the PC muscles in that area (heavy-duty Kegel exercises) very forcefully (for up to 30 seconds)and then deliberately relax them. Do like 30 in a row and it helped reduce the pain. Eventually, I could then relax them using that technique and the bladder spasms went away for good.

    Hope this helps.
    Madame Curie
  8. LollieBoo

    LollieBoo New Member

    And I always thought that the stirrups were a little invasive! Ha! I suppose I will have to get a little more investigative...
  9. caroleye

    caroleye New Member

    For years, I was put on antibiotics for UTI's; finally a smart Dr. dx my I.C.

    Now whenever I have a "flare", I might have my urine cultured, but it's never bacterial, so I get on my IC program that I learned on the above mentioned board.

    Ice helps me, along with an alkaline diet, cut back on walking/running, take baking soda in water lx/day, use a product called Alkazone that alkalanizes the body, and drink Cinnamon/Spice Tea (health food store).

    Continuing antibiotics when there's no bacteria sets us up for candida, which is a horrible condition to deal with.

    Good luck w/finding what you're dealing with.

  10. LollieBoo

    LollieBoo New Member

    The first time I was told there were three different strains growing, but none in enough numbers to cause the blood and extreme tenderness. Now we are cxing again. It seems that every time I have MAJOR tenderness and bleeding, the bacteria aren't high enough to explain it, but are present, so I end up on AB's.

  11. gwheezy41

    gwheezy41 New Member

    Hi I went through this for a year having uti's and blood and bacteria every month in urine tests, until Doc finally sent me to Urologist, he did an endoscopy and found many cysts in bladder had to be cut out and tested to make sure it was not cancer, It came out fine but had to come out, It was called Cystitis Glandularis. Since then I have had no problems, that was a year ago. Ask your doc if that is a possibility.....Virginia
  12. mary124

    mary124 New Member

    If you think its IC, you need to go to a URO that specializes in this, as there are a lot of UROs that don't.
    The test that someone mentioned is a Potassium Test, I don't know what that all entitles to, and the other way they dx you is with a cysto/hydro (this is day surgery and this is the way I was dx) Go to the IC network there are people there with a wealth of information and can help you along the way. Also there is the diet you can follow. After awhile, you might be able to eat some of the foods that you aren't able to eat at the beginning.
    Good luck.

[ advertisement ]