I Have Recovered After 25 Years

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by matn, Aug 18, 2005.

1. matn

matn New Member

I am now able to work, play tennis and live life to the fullest. It took about 5 years to really fine tune my dietary and lifestyle changes after suffering for 15 years, but the dividends have really paid off. I do not consume anything processed or anything with high glutamic acid content (MSG (often hidden), gluten, dairy, soy, corn and even rice). I have pretty much eliminated grains and I consume a good source of unadulterated protein. I follow an anti-yeast, hypoglycemic, Eat Right For Your Type diet with no vinegar, processed salt. Sugar in combination with grains is particularly problematic. I drink spring or mineral water only (no Cl,F or treatment). I eat low starch vegetables that are on the alkaline side. I eat as much fresh (uncooked) food as possible. I eat a small amount of fresh fruit. 70% of the standard American Diet is no longer part of mine and now I am better when I didn't think it would be possible. This is without the use of added medication, supplements, vitamins or minerals as I believe they are part of the problem (toxicity).

There is hope.

MATN
  2. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

I applaude you for your discipline! I'm sure that if most of us ate the same way, our symptoms would be greatly diminished too.

May I ask what a typical day's menu is? It seems your diet is restrictive and I am interested in what you do eat.

Good for you!
  3. vickiw

vickiw Member

Good for you!!

How long was it from the time you started your dietary changes until you started to feel better? (short of the 5 year complete recovery) I ask because I'm on temporary disability and trying everything I can to get better so I can go back to work. My diet is better than the average American's but not nearly as restrictive as yours. On my doctor's advice I'm taking lots of supplements, including B12 shots.

You mention lifestyle changes as well as diet. Could you elaborate on that? I'm willing to try anything within reason.

Also, did you lose a lot of weight? I have the opposite problem of most people. I have a fast metabolism and in the past, the "healthier" my diet, the more weight I would lose, until I looked like a stick figure. Hopefully now that I'm middle aged, that won't be a problem.

So, those are my 3 questions...
    1) how long before you started to feel better?
    2) What other lifestyle changes did you make?
    3) How did it affect your weight?

Thanks,
    Vicki

[This Message was Edited on 08/18/2005]
  4. Hopeful39

Hopeful39 New Member

5. backporchrags

backporchrags New Member

I am happy the severely limited diet works for you. What will power!
    A
  6. Marjidoll

Marjidoll New Member

I am so happy to hear this. It's also good that you did not get discouraged because it has taken so long to reverse your illness.

I started seeing a naturapath in April of this year. She has fibro herself and has reveresed hers too. She did the guai protocol for about 5 months, but she is a firm believer in supplementing with magnesium, malic acid, among other things and taking the right calcium for your body's needs.

She says we need to get our PH up around the 6.4 range for healing.

She also has me fasting for 24 hours once a week. It's not as hard as it sounds. Also, restricting the white sugars and unhealthful white carbs.

She does accupressure treatments on me too, which help with the pain and also help in getting the toxins out of my body.

I have to say, I recover more quickly than I used to, but am really having a reversal of all of my fibro symptoms, which she says is a good thing. It should take at least one year, as I have had this for over 9 years now.

I have to believe her, she has studied this for 25 years and has gotten herself better.

I have lost 15 pounds, and everyone is telling me that my skin, hair and eyes are looking better, I even have nice nails now! Wow!

I think there is a lot we can do with dietary changes to help ourselves feel better. Try and stay away from the processed foods and preservitives as much as possible.
  7. sandi24

sandi24 New Member

Today I was reading about keeping our bodies alkaline that its the acidity that causes illnesses. As well as avoiding all toxins, all sprays, chemicals etc.

I too would be interested in what you actually do eat :) A typical menu would help us a lot.

Congrats on beating this DD :)
  8. matn

matn New Member

I try to eat a varied diet as much as possible. I dring Gerolsteiner mineral water throughout the day (includes ~8% calcium with every glass). I drink about one cup of "ginger tea" once a day to help with digestion. This is spring water with a slice of ginger in it. It is important to prepare the food as fresh as possible. Do not buy already cut-up/sliced vegetables as these oxidize and lose must of their nutritional value.

I usually have one organic scrambled egg made with a dab of organic, unsalted butter (and no natural flavoring - MSG in disguise)and I season the egg with dill weed. This is cooked in a stainless steel pan (no microwave!). I also have one fruit (banana, peach) and I usually eat this first as it is a simple carbohydrate and it will travel through my digestive system faster than fats or protein. My main staple is a mix of ~20 vegetables including onion, garlic, carrots, green and yellow squash, red & yellow & red peppers, asparagus, tomatoes, broccali and other low starch vegetables. This is cooked at low heat with some organic, cold pressed olive oil, a touch of sea salt and Italian seasoning. I eat these vegetables throughout the day. I really do not eat regular meals and the foods are low calorie and you cab eat as much as you want without gaining weight. For lunch I have a good chicken salad, where I add chicken to a salad (lettuce, celery, tomatoes, cucumber, red & yellow & green peppers) along with olive oil as the dressing. I also eat another serving of fruit at lunch. I occasionally eat a few macadamia nuts (only with sea salt) to get a few extra calories. For dinner, I eat another source of protein such as organic beef, buffalo, turkey, chicken or wild salmon with either a salad or the vegetable mix.

The food is all unprocessed and tastes great (your taste will change as you eat this way). The food is always less than 2 days old and I try to minimize frozen foods.

I hope this gives you a start, but if I eat something not compatible with my blood type such as legumes and most nuts, I will get ill. I never eat bread as I get ill within ten minutes.

Hope this helps!

MATN
  9. matn

matn New Member

Everytime I made a positive change I could feel it. My energy slowly returned. I still had days where I would feel awful, but I could tell that I was feeling better. I really noticed when I made a mistake as all my symptoms became magnified. I have been fighting this for close to 25 years and I have made some improvements during that period as I discovered new things. My major improvement came in the last 5 years when I fine-tuned my diet.

I do not keep anything perfume or anything that I can be allergic to in the house. This includes laundry detergents, dishwashing detergent, soap, deodorant, newspaper, etc. I also will not fly on a plane anymore because of the pollutants (jet fuel), perfume from the pasangers and the altitude along with pressurization causes me to become very dizzy. I exercise every day using accupressure along with streching and massage. I had to take it very easy when I had little energy, but I believe the exercise helped to get rid of the toxins in my body. I now feel the best after playing 2 hours of competitive singles tennis as I think this really cleans out the toxins (of course I could not do this when I was very ill - I could barely sit up and watch a tennis match!). I do not use teflon pot or gas stoves as these tend to offgas.

My weight is now 118 at 5'5". I was down to 112 lbs when I stopped absorbing food. I never was over-weight as my body rejected the food I was trying to eat. At one point I was consuming a tremendous amount of food, but it would not stay in me (my body was telling me and I did not know how to listen). The physicians thought I was anorexic and one even thought I was psychotic. The drugs they recommended almost killed me and I no longer go to any of them. The diet is wonderful in the sense that you can eat as much as you want because you cannot gain weight (low calorie). You also feel satiated once you eat and you do not have that false sense of hunger from the MSG in the food.

I hope this gives you some insight into what I have done. Basically remove all the toxins (food and environment) and let your body heal. It can happen!

MATN
  10. Krista47

Krista47 New Member

Great news and a great inspiration. I have to buckle down and follow my "eat right for my type" diet.

Thanks for posting such a wonderful message. You've given me a kick in the booty to get on track. My husband and son won't eat those foods so I end up cooking for them and then trying to eat right for me. I think I'll use a little more persuasion to have them eat more like me...Yikes! We'll see how that goes.:) Although my son is a bottomless pit. It's like throwing raw meat at a wild animal. There is no end to his appetite.

Take care,
    Kris
  11. Prunella

Prunella New Member

Welcome back to the board. You have always been a source of great advice and I am glad you are back.

I have a question about rice. The organic brown rice I buy at the health food store seems to go bad very quickly. The fortified brown rice I buy at the grocery store does not do this. I can't get to the health food store as often a I would like. It is a busy store, so I cannot understand why this is happening. Anything old or moldy really bothers me.

Your diet is very strict, but the closer I come to it the better I feel. I do eat organic dairy in moderation. I sometimes eat organic yogurt and take a probiotic made by New Chapter. Do you take any probiotics? It sounds like you don't. Perhaps your good diet is keeping your gut flora in balance.
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We love to hear good news like this.

Love, Mikie
  13. CFIDSNicole

CFIDSNicole New Member

Good for you. If you can live with this diet, good for you. I dont' eat much processed food at all and cook a lot of fresh produce, but there is no way I could do what you are doing for the rest of my life. I have to have lots of variety in my diet or I get extremely bored. Also, I think whole grains are very important--I see you dn't eat any. I love them and couldn't give them up.

Nicole
  14. vickiw

vickiw Member

I've known for a while that I need to focus more on diet and your post comes at the right time as a reminder/inspiration for me.

Kris - your comment about your son made me laugh. When my son was in his teens I remember him complaining that he was just tired of eating all the time...always looking for food and chewing and never getting full. :)
  15. volleygirl

volleygirl New Member

Hi I am new here, I think that I may be developing fibromyalgia, I been getting muscle twitches, tingling in the hands and feet and internal shakes at night. I'm not tired or anything and the only pain I have is some shoulder pain. The doctor says it could be early signs of fibro....I don't want it to get any worse...any suggestions?? Did anyone first start with these symptoms at the beginning or could this not even be what I have. Any help would be so appreciated.
  16. matn

matn New Member

Hello Nancy:

Although rice is allowed for those with gluten sensitivities, I find it to be starchy and it depletes my energy level. At least it does not cause the digestive upset that I get with gluten containing foods. Rice does contain a fair amount of glutamic acid as part of its composition, so perhaps there is a chemical basis for my response. On occasion, I eat some rice, but I always make sure to eat a good source of protein and lipids with it. Rice is a high glycemic index food and it can cause your blood sugar levels to be unstable. Although it is promoted as a hypoallergenic food, I have been told that approximately 10% of the Oriental population is allergic to it.

See how you feel when you consume it. I try not to have any before an important tennis match or when my mind need to be ultra clear.

Regards,

MATN
  17. matn

matn New Member

Hello Prunella:

I do not take any probiotics because I would have terrible reactions to minute quantities of anything that I tried. I had no choice but to eat only food.

Regards,

MATN
  18. elsa

elsa New Member

Uhhhh, That was Volley Girl's very first post here. Her membership started today with her fibromyalgia questions.

She probably didn't know the "topic etiquette" to follow. Besides, I have seen many people shift subjects in a middle of a thread.

Elsa
  19. tansy

tansy New Member

Also to learn the benefits from your diet have been sustained.

Protocols along these lines do work. Over the decades I have seen others with chronic illnesses go into remission through lowering their exposure to environmental toxins and the avoidance of foods that are not right for them, pesticides/chemicals, and the additives in so much of our modern day diet, that are having an adverse effect on their health. Not everyone who has attempted doing this on diet alone is as successful as Matn, but most report some degree of gain and benefits.

Anyone with these DDs, especially ME/CFS, can appreciate the significance of working full time and playing tennis everyday.

Thanks Matn for popping back now letting everyone know about your recovery and how you achieved it. I often refer others to your posts.

Love, Tansy

[This Message was Edited on 08/20/2005]
  20. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I'm reading Eat Right For your Type (Complete Blood Type Encyclopedia), Eat Right For Your Type and I use the Food Beverage and Supplement Lists from Eat Right For Your Type. I'm type A.In fact I'm a double A. The vegetarian! The little hand book makes it easy. (the list book)
    Thank you for suggest this material. Now working on fine tune my diet is much much easier. I've stopped taking my mult-vitamins powder.This is going to take time-I don't even know what some of the foods listed under A type highly benefical look like! Hope I like them. At any rate I'm giving this a chance because it make sense to me.(toxicity)Root problem being my liver.
    Dee50