I have some questions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by caffey, Oct 11, 2006.

1. caffey

caffey New Member

I am newly diagnosed and have ra and a bunch of other junk with fm. Today is a crappy day physically and weather wise everything aches. My question is: When you ache in a tender spot, trigger spot or whatever the word is, is it normal to have it swollen and warm to touch? Not sure if it is the ra or fm. Or does it even matter? Also can't remember if I asked this before or not. I can't get comfortable at night. My lower back on the rt. and my rt. hip are really sore. I take my meds and use a heating pad and try and prop myself with pillows but I just can't get comfortable. Does anyone have any suggestions. One last question. I wake up with awful headaches in the morning and they disappear after about an hr.or 2. Sorry for sounding cranky it is one of those days. Thanks for your input.
    Cath
    [This Message was Edited on 10/11/2006]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Is RA rheumatoid arthritis? I have arithritis, but so far it hasn't done much except enlarge my knuckles. (I'll have to give up my career as a hand model.)

I remember hearing years ago patients were put on sheepskins to avoid bed sores. Do they still do that? I wonder if there is any kind of pad that would help you.
  3. cindysewstoo

cindysewstoo New Member

Hi Cath!

Welcome to the club (that no one really wants to join!). I also have RA in addition to my FM. In my experience, it's the RA that causes the swelling and warmth. My FM doesn't do anything but HURT! And don't worry - you don't sound cranky at all...

When I am particularly sore at bedtime (the back and hips get me, too) I spray on some 024 FIBROMYALGIA and it seems to help. It's a combination of essential oils that warm and tingle when you rub it in. I also put several pillows under my knees. That sometimes helps.

As for the headaches, you got me there. I think I've tried it all. It usually takes me a couple of hours in the a.m. to get it into gear also.

Sorry to hear you're having a rough time. I think you'll find some encouragement here in the message boards. I'm a relative newbie, and it's been an encouragement to me!
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

RA normally presents as warm and red. FM usually presents as pain and stiffness and aches.

I hope this helps. Of course the RA is painful too.

Love Anne and Welcome!!!
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

I'm sorry to hear of all the pain your having.
    Your post sounds as if I could have written it.

I have suspected,not confirmed RA,along with FM and a few other things. (none of them fun) :)
    My guess is surely the RA is to blame for the swelling and warmth. I get that at times too,..along with my knuckles getting little bumpy painful lumps on them.(and a high sed rate)
    My one hip hurts alot too especially to sleep on it.
    I toss all night just trying to find the most comfy way to lay. Lots of pillows!! and I use bengay rub.
    Prior to bed I use my heating pad.

The morning headaches. UGGGHHHHH!!!!
    almost everyday for me too.
    I'm not sure whats bringing those on but wonder if its the enclosed house.?? lack of fresh air.??
    The headahes feel like part of it is coming from the neck,..but also sinus.
    I do take a presciption headache med called fiorecet and they do help.

Your not alone
    I wish I could be more help
    feel better,
    Tandy
  6. carebelle

carebelle New Member

my tender points dont usually hurt unless someone touches them. I just ache all over sometimes threw to the bone

I always say I have layers of pain .Different kinds of pain .But most of it is down my right side head to toe.

I have pockets of swelling and pain in my hands and different places in my body.Sometimes they are warm sometimes they are not.

If you are having headaches everyday some of the things you might check out are.
    Do you have any live plants in the bedroom? Allergy
    Is the bedroom dry from your heater? it can dry out your sinus's .
    Also do you snor ? that can cause a headaches
    Its better to sleep in a cool room .
    Do not put a heating pad around your head that can cause problems.
    I would get a good physical and blood work to check out other causes of your headache.
  7. caffey

caffey New Member

Everyone for your input. Thanks for being honest and admitting that you don't know. I appreciate that as I hate pat answers. As I am typing this the tendonitis in my rt. arm is acting up so I guess when one thing acts up it triggers everything else. Oh joy oh bliss.
    Rockgor- I have ra, osteopenia, bursitis and fm in that hip. What a mess eh?
    Tandy- I notice you said that you use ben gay and a heating pad. I hope you are not using them at the same time. You can really give yourself a nasty burn.
    Carebelle- the only thing is that I snore. I was wondering if it might be coming from the neck.
    You all are great.
    Cath
  8. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I don't know what meds your on but I know if I skip a single dose of my Cymbalta I get headaches.. I wonder if maybe your morning headaches could be the same thing.. too many hours since your meds?
    Welcome to the board.. we are all a mess!! Aches and pains galore..

Hugs!
  9. DJGirl

DJGirl New Member

I too have RA/Fibromyalgia AND Myofascial Dysfunction AND Yeast Overgrowth...a mess!

Like the others said, the RA causes the swelling/warm spots and the Fibromyalgia the additional pain. Headaches are another symptom of Fibromyalgia as well as Yeast Overgrowth. Before they figured I had the Yeast Overgrowth, I was not able to sleep, get comfortable and I was in alot of pain. It causes alot of symptoms!

Now on a Yeast/Sugar Free Diet and I am sleeping better and in less pain. I also have noticed that I don't have the headaches anymore.

Take into consideration the medication you are on. Some of them cause headaches and other side effects.

Let your doctor know what's going on and ask about the medication and also see if they can check you for Yeast Overgrowth, if they haven't done so already.

Hope tomorrow is a better day for all of you!
  10. caffey

caffey New Member

I am overwhelmed and amazed by the amount of responses that I have received. You all are great. If I forgot to acknowledge someone's suggestion please remind me ok?
    Donnagin- I don't take cymbalta. I don't know what it is. The rest of my meds are ok timing wise.
    Prickles- I am not allowed to have any nsaids due to my kidney functions also our docs are terrified of prescribing them since the vioxx scandal. I can't afford natural remedies and some of them I can't take because they conflict with other meds.
    grg1988- I take flexeril. I used to take it with trazadone and it didn't work.
    I am going to a pain clinic in about 1.5 weeks so maybe they can help me out. Once again you all are great and I really appreciate and need your input. Hope you have a good day.
    Cath
  11. caffey

caffey New Member

You have certainly given me something to think about it.
    Cath
  12. tandy

tandy New Member

Cath~ no I don't use them together.(bengay and heat)

Sure wish I could tho!! I'm tempted cause sometimes the ache is soooooooo bad ya just wanna do whatever it takes to stop it!
    Thanks for the warning tho :)

13. sisland

sisland New Member

Do you Have a Feather Mattress Topper? or a cuddle Ewe? That is one thing that has helped me alot at night, Plus the Fact that i sleep alone has helped also!

as far as the morning Headaches, They decreased alot with the No Sugar diet! Goodluck,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sisland
    [This Message was Edited on 10/14/2006]
  14. caffey

caffey New Member

Thanks for your post. I have a memory foam mattress topper. It has been a lifesaver. I am diabetic so I don't use sugar. I also sleep alone unless you count kitty who takes up half the bed.lol. Again thanks.
    Cath
  15. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Cath:

I also have RA and FMS. Strangely, it has been my RA that has been the cause of most of my problems. The FMS was fairly well controlled, and I was able to work full time and participate in life. I have been in a terrible RA Flare for nearly a year. I have been out of work for 7 months. I have tried most of the meds that can be used for RA...unfortunately, I have elevated liver enzymes and cannot take methotrexate or some other meds. I have tried ENBREL, HUMIRA, and now am on plaquenil...hopefully I will be able to add at least one more med (sulfa something) and with any luck, maybe methotrexate.

I take lots of advil (2400+mg per day) along with 1300mg of extended release tylenol. I also take flexeril (now 20mg at night, and sometimes 1 during the day). I am also on a long list of meds for other problems, including atrial fibrillation, high blood pressure, and now something to discourage uterine cancer...as I have hyperplasia and will be having a hysterectomy soon.

I have a cuddle ewe, and find it has saved me from the looney bin. I still have times when it is painful to sleep on one side or the other...I try to do it so that no one point has all the pressure, but often wake up with very painful hips. I sleep with a pillow between my legs as well...helps a lot.

You did not say if the spots that are sore, swollen and warm are joints or just the areas near your trigger points? If the joints are warm, you know that is RA. It is unusual for non joint areas to be sore, warm or swollen. It could mean something else going on with your system. Since you said you have diabetes, you might want to mention this to your doc. Also, I totally understand about your kidney issues, as my mom is in end stage kidney failure due to arterial sclerosis of all of her arteries, but mostly her renal arteries.

Not sure about the headaches, but could it be that your blood sugar is low when you wake up? Do you test in the morning? Could you need to have a small snack late at night or during the night? I know that sometimes I eat a few peanuts, or a small slice of cheese, and I feel better while sleeping. I usually have low blood sugar issues...which is so much more fun!

Good luck, and hope that you got some of the answers you were looking for.

Ingrid
  16. caffey

caffey New Member

Thanks for your suggestions. I have already done most of them but it shows that I am on the right path. My biggest problem with the hip is that I have arthritis in it, bursitis and fibro around it so who knows what is what. Anyways I went to the doc on Fri. and turns out I am in a bad flare and they had to double my prednisone. I am sorry you are having such a rough time. I think also one of the hardest things with these DD is that everything is a trade off and is it better to get diabetes from the prednisone or not be able to move and be in more pain. These are individual decisions that have to be made everyday. Again thanks and wishing you all the best and I hope they get the right combo for you soon.
    Cath