I have SSD and am being reviewed for the 1st time and terrified!!

Discussion in 'Financial, Disability and Legal Resources' started by deb_46, Aug 4, 2011.

1. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

I just posted this but somehow it vanished. Anyway, I've had SSD since 2009 and got a huge packet of forms today to fill out basically about like what we all filled out when first applying. I thought I read on here where some people just got forms that they took to their doctors to fill out stating they were still unable to work. It says my review will be gone over by their docs to determine if I am still disabled, well never once did THEIR docs say I was disabled before, five of mine did.

I no longer have the money to run to five docs as my marriage started falling apart during the past four years due to the fact that my husband flat out told me he was tired of my neve be able to do or go anywere so 33 yrs down the drain. I lost my insurance due to the divorce and did not get medicare until March of this year so I could not afford to go to the dr. every three months and ny dr understood that and gave me enough refills on my pain meds and such to last longer. Of course they theaten all over the letter that if they find I am not still disabled I will lose my benefits and medicare, should I be terrified????? Did anyone else get the big packet of forms or did everyone else get the letter to take to their doc to sign???

Thanks so much
    Debbie

2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Please find your approval letter. Many times in that letter it states when you will be scheduled for your reviews. Unfortunately, the shorter the review time (from when you are approved), the greater the chance they feel you may experience some recovery.

You must complete the forms and usually it is best to discuss your worst days. SSA and DDS don't look upon marriages as part of consideration of disability, but they would be interested in any mental health treatment you received as a result of depression, anxiety or any number of mental health ailments, and that includes any free treatment you received from county clinics, etc.

On the Health Board, there is a bold post towards the top that is low cost/no cost medical/prescriptions. You may want to check that out for medical care. If you have been receiving no medical care until now, when you had been receiving a lot of care before you were approved, there is a risk that it may be interpreted as improvement. That is when it may be of some help to mention anyone you had cleaning for you, doing laundry, helping you get bathed or showered, or running errands.

If you have a doctor that has been seeing you regularly, then find the appropriate form (mental, fibro, general, etc.) on this board, print it out and make an appointment and ask him/her to fill it out. If you are not seeing a doctor regularly, they may not be willing to complete the form because they do not have enough of a medical file on you. But even completing one of the forms on this board--you still must complete the SSA paperwork they send you. And remember to include any new ailments you have. People become disabled and may end up with depression, can get lupus, fibro, osteoporosis, and much more--that's the sad part of being disabled, that it just continues with ailments. Good luck and many, many hugs. We care.

POST THE DUE DATE ON THE CALENDAR FOR THE PAPERWORK AND BE SURE YOU HAVE SENT IT IN WAY AHEAD OF TIME BY CERTIFIED MAIL, RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED and keep a copy for yourself.

[This Message was Edited on 08/05/2011]
  3. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I forgot to mention, but if you have a Facebook page or similar social network, SSA may be looking at those also for photos (of you in action shots doing things SSA may be interested in and looking at the discussion of your activities, vacations, etc. I mentioned it either here or on the Health Board about an article that people put all sorts of things on their social pages, and checking them out by a disability insurance company, by SSA or DDS was to be the future we could expect.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/05/2011]
  4. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

I signed up on facebook but didn't even put my pic. I seldom even look at it but thanks again.

Debbie
  5. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Be really careful what you put on Facebook about yourself (and you're smart to not put photos or info) because it can be old info from before you were disabled and taken the wrong way.

I read an article where someone posted a photo of them doing an activity BEFORE they ever became disabled and I believe it was a disability insurance company that terminated their insurance because they monitored facebook and other social places. the person had to fight to get the termination lifted. That's how it can be unfair, but that disability insurance company did it and didn't check it out first.
  6. wildflowers23

wildflowers23 Member

I highly doubt Social Security had the monies or the man power to have people look at those sites.

And LTD company I would say yes to that 100%.
  7. Lissfur

Lissfur New Member

Hello,

My disability claim is currently under "Reconsideration". I have had disability since 2007, they just reviewed me 2011 and decided I was well enough to do "some types of work". I appealed the reconsideration (meaning filled out the paperwork to do so.) so now is the last part of that reconsideration where I have a hearing before a disability hearing officer (not a judge). Any suggestions? Do i need an attorney - does it matter at this point? I read that they usually don't change their decision at this point and I will most likely have to appeal to have my hearing in front of a judge. So is it pointless to hire an attorney at this point? Any info would be Very much appreciated. Thanks!
  8. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

(Lissfur, I responded to you on your other post).

If I were to be an SSA worker, drowning in new SSA cases and expected to go through all the cases and potential disqualify as many as possible, I'd look for a fast way to be creative and gather dirt. I'd jump on Facebook and search other media quickly. And it is the medium of choice of the future to find dirt on you quickly--particularly since government and employers are already asking for passwords at job interviews!!!

It is AMAZING that people put their real names out there and then still put pictures of themselves drunk, doing all sorts of stunts, and discussing what they are up to, like skiing trips, and everything.
  9. MicheleK

MicheleK Moderator

Hi,

So sorry to hear you received a review that decided you were well enough to do "some types of work". I think when they decide that they should provide you with the work they "think" you could do and then pay you while you "try" to do it.

I had a review this year too and all I could think is "I am just getting over the energy it took to fight for the benefits in the first place, now they want me to do it again?" Happily, I got a letter stating they had decided my situation had not changed and the review ended. I have no idea what they looked at that made them change their mind. I'm just grateful for the reprieve.

If it were me getting reviewed, I most certainly would contact my disability attorney and ask for his advice. That advice would be free.

Most "wins" are due to who your doctor is, how well he documents and beleives in your being disabled and how much he will back you on that. It's important to be seen by your doctor no less than every 6 months or SSDI can just revoke your benefits. Most people do not know that and since many of our "invisible illnesses" have no cure or even much treatments, we may not see the point of going to the doctor regularly. Big mistake!

What is your doctor's opinion of your state of disability? Do you have a condition that is made worse by activity?
  10. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Sorry, but I haven't been able to get on the board because of some glitch that allowed me to log on but not post.

I wanted to just let you know that in the U.S., attorneys typically take the original application for SSD case as a contingency fee arrangement where they get paid when you are awarded SSD and the SSA usually pays them directly. That direct payment by SSA is a considerable incentive (and that payment may be received by the attorney sometimes so fast, while the claimant still waits months to be paid).

BUT, I have not seen or heard anything of a similar arrangement in cases that were granted SSD, then at a later date the SSD were terminated and help or advice was sought from an attorney--that's why so many people "go it on their own" because they can't afford an attorney.

An attorney's advice is their stock in trade and is usually for sale so an attorney would have you paying out of your pocket for his/her help unless you can make an arrangement otherwise. If you seek an attorney's help or advice, MAKE SURE YOU GET THE FEES VERY CLEAR AND UP FRONT-- AND GET IT IN WRITING SO THERE IS NO MISUNDERSTANDING.

You can try going to Travers site below called "SSA Connect." It is mostly SSA attorneys, SSA employers and formers judges (under cover) and other people involved in SSD matters. They may be willing to respond with you about what the norm for attorneys and fees for advice/representing you in such a matter. Some attorneys are good people and would talk to you for 5 minutes for free.
    http://ssaconnect.com/newsite/index.php/forum/index