I have the liver biopsy MONDAY!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kadywill, Sep 25, 2002.

1. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Hey guys!!!
    I feel much better now! I went to the "liver doctor" and he was really, really NICE, believe it or not! Because of my research, I understood everything he said, impressing the heck outta him and making me feel much more in control. I had an ultrasound done and he has scheduled the liver biopsy for Monday~~this is outpatient surgery and I'll be in the hospital at least 8-10 hours. (longer if I have bleeding or severe pain) He did a lot more lab work because my tests done last week show that I'd had a series of three shots in the past to immunize me from Hepatitis and I DIDN'T! He said that I must've and I know that I didn't! What's this all about? Anyway.... He said that I may just have a fatty liver, but he thinks I could have Autoimmune Hepatitis instead because of a borderline ANA. He said that I could have NASH which can be serious (the fatty liver isn't, but it needs to be corrected through weight loss). Anyway, the biopsy should be able to tell us what the problem is. So, I have to take Monday and Tuesday off from work in addition to today. (have to be careful for a couple of days so as not to bleed...) He gave me a bunch of info about the biopsy, but I was WAY ahead of him because of this site and your advice!!!!
    Thanks for everything!~~~~
    Love,
    Kady
  2. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Hey guys!!!
    I feel much better now! I went to the "liver doctor" and he was really, really NICE, believe it or not! Because of my research, I understood everything he said, impressing the heck outta him and making me feel much more in control. I had an ultrasound done and he has scheduled the liver biopsy for Monday~~this is outpatient surgery and I'll be in the hospital at least 8-10 hours. (longer if I have bleeding or severe pain) He did a lot more lab work because my tests done last week show that I'd had a series of three shots in the past to immunize me from Hepatitis and I DIDN'T! He said that I must've and I know that I didn't! What's this all about? Anyway.... He said that I may just have a fatty liver, but he thinks I could have Autoimmune Hepatitis instead because of a borderline ANA. He said that I could have NASH which can be serious (the fatty liver isn't, but it needs to be corrected through weight loss). Anyway, the biopsy should be able to tell us what the problem is. So, I have to take Monday and Tuesday off from work in addition to today. (have to be careful for a couple of days so as not to bleed...) He gave me a bunch of info about the biopsy, but I was WAY ahead of him because of this site and your advice!!!!
    Thanks for everything!~~~~
    Love,
    Kady
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I pray that everything will go smoothly for you, and I am glad you found a doctor you feel comfortable with...that helps so much.
    As far as the mistake in your medical file, I used to work in a hospital and I also did transcription for awhile, and hardly anyone's medical records are free of mistakes. Doctor's are so lackadasical about getting it right when they dictate. Half the time they are yawning repeatedly and slurring their speech....dictating while half asleep from fatigue. This is why it's good to get copies of your records when you can and check them over.
    You did not say what the biopsy process involves but I hope you will be given adequate sedation and pain relief. Let us know how it goes and we hope it's nothing serious.
    Klutzo
  4. kadywill

kadywill New Member

the lab results themselves indicate that I was immune to Hepatitis B and he says the only was I can be is if I had been given the set of three injections to cause this and I am positive that I have NEVER been given these! That's what I meant to say. However, I've worked in medical offices, too, and I am well aware of the numerous errors made~~~~I've made many of them myself! lol
    Oh, BTW, I have a non-reactive result to my Hepatitis C lab. It says this: "This test is a 2nd generation assay for the detection of multiple forms of anti-HCV in human serum or plasma. A test result that is negative does not exclude the possibility of exposure to or infection with HCV. Negative results in this assay in individuals with prior exposure to HCV may be due to antibody levels below the limit of detection of this assay or lack of antibody reactivity to the HCV antigens used in this assay." Anybody understand that? Please fill me in if you do!!!!

Love and appreciation!
    Kady
  5. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I will be given a sedating drug of some sort and can have pain med anytime I need it.....believe me I asked these questions! lol
  6. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

Just wanted to let you know that I do have AIH (autoimmune hepatitis)..Went through the liver biopsy almost 2yrs ago, and I was fine..I was not given any sedation..Only a little something to numb the area..Hardest part for me was to lay on my right side for 4hrs to prevent bleeding..Did your dr. tell you that after the biopsy you could possibly get really bad shoulder pain..Mine did, & I thought, is he nuts or what, glad he did because I got it, but it only lasted for a few minutes.......Best of Luck with your biopsy.....
    Take Care..........Donna
  7. selma

selma New Member

You did your homework. Remember to relax as there is nothing more you can do. Stress Kills.
    Feel our love surround you. We will be with you in prayer.

Love, Selma
  8. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Did they think you may have had a fatty liver or did they just KNOW it was AIH? Did the biopsy make the diagnosis? I can use all the info. you can give me on what you take and stuff. Prednisone? Imuran? I took Prednisone for years and years for Lupus (or whatever I have...non-specified connective tissue disease) and the Prednisone caused all kinds of yukky stuff!
    Love and health!
    Kady
  9. clprez

clprez New Member

Kadywill,

This is regarding your question about the mumbo-jumbo you were told about Hepatis C.

Because of my ultrasounds and CT-scans of my liver were really bad, my gastroenterologist decided I had to have some kind of hepatitus. However, all my tests came back negative including Hepatitus C.

What he told me was that the Hepatitus C blood test may not be postitive, until you've had it for at least a year

This is why he said he wanted me to get a liver biopsy, because it is 100% proof positive. He also told me that in order to be sure that you had autoimmune hepatitus, they usually do a biopsy to be 100% sure.

I don't know if this is what your mumbo-jumbo meant, but I just thought I'd pass it on.

Carol
  10. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Thanks bunches!!!!
    I am so glad to know that the biopsy will be proof-positive of finding WHATEVER I have. I think that living with "our DD" for years and having been misdiagnosed and treated abominably over and over again, it'll be nice to hear something definite...whatever it is!
    Thank you so much for the reply!
    Love,
    Kady
  11. granmama

granmama New Member

Hi Kady,
    I wish you well through your biopsy. I had one in Sept. 99. Yes, it gets old just laying there on your right side for 4 hours, but it is to put pressure on the site and prevent bleeding. I too was awake and very anxious because my back muscles had been hurting that morning. He did give me 1 Vicoden to help ease the muscle pain after the procedure.
    But, I had a lot of confidence in my gastro doctor and knew how many liver biopsies he had performed in a year, which added to my confidence.
    I did hurt that night and was uncomfortable. I used pillows to support my right side. I also took pain medicine given by my PCP, my gastro would not prescribe me any. I called my PCP before I even left the hospital and they called me in a script, so I had it that evening.
    You will leave with a large bandage over the site. Unfortunetly, they used silk tape and I am allergic to it, so when my husband removed the tape, skin came with it. We had to keep it as sterile as possible to prevent infection.
    Now, I always demand paper tape.
    My biopsy was to determine a diagnosis of Hemochromatosis, iron overload disease, needless to say, my liver was consumed with iron. The specimen was sent to the Mayo Clinic.
    Just make sure you have pain medication available and someone with you that day and next to help. Oh yeah, don't forget the pillows!
    You will be in my thoughts on Monday.
    take care,
    granmama
    [This Message was Edited on 09/25/2002]