I have thrush

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by petesdragon, Aug 11, 2006.

1. petesdragon

petesdragon New Member

First I had antibiotics for a UTI. Then I had antibiotics for an abcessed tooth. Now I have thrush. Never heard of it but one time way back when. The doctor gave me some Nystantin. My tongue is very sore and eating is painful. I also have deep grooves in my tongue but the doctor says that is "geographic tongue" and will come and go. What causes that?
  2. spacee

spacee Member

I just googled it and the info said that the cause was unknown but that it may be caused by Thrush.

It also said that it is an inflammation of the tongue and as your doc says, "it comes and goes".

It was also said to be Benign.

Hope that help you.

Hugs,

Spacee
  3. tonia1990

tonia1990 New Member

When i get thrush i swish with maalox.My doctor says it works just as good as the prescription stuff does and it's cheaper.
  4. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

You can't get cheaper or easier than plain yogurt held in the mouth several times a day. Make sure you get one w/ live cultures, ingredients will just be milk and bacterial cultures. Just take a tsp and swish it around and hold it for about a min several times daily.

You'll notice the thrush shrinking in about half a day, its that quick. You can eat a few tbsp. of the yogurt too to hinder systemic candida and boost immunity too. Avoid sugar until it clears so you don't feed it more.

Jeanne
  5. AbbeyMae

AbbeyMae New Member

I just had a bad case of thrush, not too long ago. I am still not out of the woods, struggling with candida systemically. I used and still do the organic plain yogurt. I brush my teeth with Crest Whitening with Scope, that someone here on the board had told me.

After brushing with toothpaste, before I rinse I scrape my tongue with a tongue scraper. Then I either brush again with baking soda and brush the tongue with it also, and then I swish and spit out but I don't rinse. Or after brushing I use a gentle mouthwash with enzymes called Biotene, swish and spit out.

The Nystatin suspension and the Mycelex lozenges made my mouth raw. But I too had an abcess tooth and was on antibiotics, actually for 30 days. 3 different antibiotics, each for 10 days, because the infection went into the bloodstream.

I had an extraction of tooth and cavitation dealt with by cleaning the infection out of the jaw and removing the periodontal ligament, and bone augmentation of the jaw. I had a dentist that did this procedure(only one in town), but he was not a holistic or biological dentist.

There were 2 biological/holistic dentists two hours away but could no give me an appt. for almost 2 months. I could not wait. My dentist did not give me a biocompatibility test for material used for augmentation and he did not culture the infection.

Therefore my PCP did not know what type of bacteria I had and I could not get rid of the fever. So that is why 3 types of antibiotics, were used because of not knowing what type of bacteria. If the dentist would have done so as he should, I would probably not have gone through such hell.

My dental work took longer to heal than normal as with most diseases and disorders, for me.

Now I am scared to death of antibiotics. And by the way I always have and still do, take probiotics and acidophilus.
    But I had Rheumatic Fever when I was 12 years old (with no heart murmur), and had taken penicillin for 9 years, for prevention of the Strep. bacteria.

My mother had a damaged mitral valve from Rheumatic Fever, and had her first open-heart surgery when she was 29 years young. So the Doc was extra precaucious, long term of antibiotics for me, now I am severelly allergic to mold. I wonder why??

That was the first time that I had Thrush and it was terrible, and I never want it again. Good luck to you, I know what a pain in the mouth thrush is.

Love and hugs,

AbbeyMae

6. petesdragon

petesdragon New Member

There is a wealth of information out there among you board members. Thanks so much for your help.