I have to do a 24 hour urine collection. Do you know why?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pepper, Dec 16, 2005.

1. pepper

pepper New Member

I saw a new endocrinologist (finally!) and aside from more blood tests, she wants me to do a 24 hour urine collection but did not tell me why. Do any of you know what this might show?

Thanks for any ideas.
    Pepper
  2. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

the links works. (Just checked, they didn't, but anyway,,,LOL! Do an online search.

24 Hour Urine Protein
    Creatinine Clearance

[This Message was Edited on 12/16/2005]
  3. pepper

pepper New Member

I googled Creatinine Clearance and 24 hour urine protein and discovered that she could be looking for many different things, including diabetes and kidney problems.

Thanks for your help!
    Pepper
  4. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

for Cushing's Syndrome. That might be a possibility....I have all the classic signs and symptoms, but he doesn't want to label it until the blood work and unrine test come back.
  5. darude

darude New Member

Its for creatine and cortisol clearance. Found out I was not clearing creatine at the normal rate but said not serious.
  6. pepper

pepper New Member

So she might be checking cortisol levels too! I had no idea that could be done with a urine test. I googled Cushings Syndrome and that is cortisol related as well.

I am so glad about that because I am sure that my cortisol levels are wonky.

Thanks for this information.
    Pepper
  7. russiankids3

russiankids3 New Member

I have kidney disease and have had lots of 24 hour urines done. Mainly my nephrologist looks at creatine clearance and protein levels to determine how much nephron("working unit of the kidney) activity I still have or have not. Also, the higher the protein level in your urine over a 24 hr. period the higher your rate of kidney disease. I have constant proteinuria and have only 34% total kidney function left so I am in the 3rd stage out of 4 stages of progressive kidney disease.The results of a 24 hr. urine guide my doc on my treatment, if it needs changing,etc.
    This may be a routine test your endocrinologist ordered to rule out diabetes or kidney damage. Whenever I see a doctor I ask why any labs or tests are being ordered. I feel it's always good to know the doc's reasoning for any test. Hope this helps you . Take care. Sue
  8. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

I did several for hyperparathyroidism.
  9. pepper

pepper New Member

Kidney disease. Now I get it. My mom died of kidney cancer and she did ask what my parents died of and at what ages. I am sorry that you are dealing with it though, Sue, on top of everything else.

Smiffy, hyperparathyroidism is something I am going to have to look up. I don't think I know what it is.

Thanks to both of you.

Pepper
  10. JLH

JLH New Member

My endo had me do one to test for Cushings disease.
  11. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

The endo would have asked for a 24 hour urine test to check for two things:

1. the average of X over a 24 hour period

2. the total output of X over a 24 hour period

This will give her some information about the operating of some organ in your body.

What the X is? it could be just about anything. Does the test request say what it is for??? Could you ring her up and ask?

I spent years having tests for doctors and never asked why? what for? what will it show? why do you think this is important??? I know it can be difficult to be 'on top of things' when we see the doc. because everything can be so confusing. I practice now, saying 'why?' 'What for?' "Is there anything else I should know' " What are the side effects" etc, while I'm sitting in the waiting room. I think it helps me.
  12. pepper

pepper New Member

Going over my appointment with her, I think that she would probably be checking for anything to do with the kidneys because of my mom's cancer and cortisol levels since she zeroed in on what time of day was my best. She made note of the fact that at 9 pm I am ready to rumble but have to rein myself in so that I can sleep. So those two things make the most sense.

Jfrustrated, I am usually a very curious patient and ask about everything, but this doctor, although very caring and thorough, was very business-like and spent a lot of time with me. She wrote out the tests and said, "See you in 6 weeks", so I sensed that she was finished with me.

Since she is a friend of my sister's, I didn't want to push my opinions on her. I have lots of opinions about what I want done but am holding off until we get to know each other a little better.

You are right, though. I think we all have to be our own advocates in the medical system. No one tells us anything unless we ask it seems. I probably should have asked what she was testing for but chickened out.

Thank you both for your input.
    Pepper
  13. smileyfacecookie

smileyfacecookie New Member

Mine was for a copper test as I am having liver problems because of all the meds I was on..Wilsons disease was what they were looking for

[ advertisement ]