I have winter depression and bipolar and fibro...feel hopeless.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by baanders, Dec 3, 2010.

1. baanders

baanders New Member

I'm overwhelmed with feelings of depression and agitation at the same time. My psychiatrist has done all he can do. I am having a hard time finding another psychiatrist b/c we live in the country.

BTW, if you suffer from these feelings, please consider Seasonal Affective Depression...you may need a light box.

2. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I am starting to realize that thyroid problems are sooooooo overlooked. The eveiden? Many antidpressants just don't work for people, and the hassle of going from one AD to another can be devastating. The side effects of these drugs are numerous (I know).

The problem with thyroid issues is that you need to get a doctor that REALLY understands the thyroid. So many of them just go by the "standard" test and if you are within the normal range, they dismiss you. I was reading a book on thyroid issues and I was shocked to read all the problems (expecially women) have with this organ and how it can create such a depression all year long, and worse in the wintertime.

So, instead of doctors just relying on people's symptoms of depression, they should focus on the thyroid more often. There are no "blood tests" to determine bipolar or major depression, but there are more sophisticated tests to determine thyroid issues, but for some reason, docs just do not go there, that is where I am stumped with this one. Even if you are in the "so called normal range" it can still wreck havoc with the body. So, the docs just dish out the AD's. I agree it can be tragic. Hugs, Chelz.

JEANSKI New Member

Wow. Thats alot on your plate. My sister whom I live with has Bipolar. I have the depression and FM. We are both experiancing the same feelings of agitation and depression. Even though your relastionship with your doc is not ideal I think using him as someone to vent to can be helpful at these times. Do you journal regularly? I am so bad at this myself but I am always amazed at how it helps get me through the night if I write everything I am feeling.

Have you gotten books on cognitive therapy? Order or get from your library books on CT. It is a huge help to my sister and myself. A loss of feeling control can trigger feelings of hopelesness, doing something to try and get back some control can have a great impact.

Unfortuantely we won't be "fixed" but we can develop ways of coping. I wish you well.
  4. GeminiMoon

GeminiMoon Member

I live in IL so we are really deprived of sunlight for a good amount of the year. Between that and the sad Christmas songs is enough to send me around the bend!

I read an article about S.A.D.D. and melatonin so I took a 1 mg tab the other night. It was like a miracle! So now I take it each night and it is really helping me. I probably will only take it thru Jan. & Feb. and see how I do b/c I'm not sure if I should talk it daily all year round.

It may not work for everyone but it does seem to work for me.

Hang in there!
  5. GeminiMoon

GeminiMoon Member

Is that a B Vitamin?
  6. jole

jole Member

Many with fibro suffer from depression.....especially in the winter, and it's not always a medical problem. At least not completely. If the cold weather causes you pain and you find yourself staying home more, it's simply depressing not being out around people. I'm in so much pain during the winter months (and with worsening fatigue) that it's impossible for me to leave home, which also makes the depression worse. And yes, some days it feels totally hopeless!

I do have to say my doc has suggested I use a light therapy box, but so far I haven't purchased one. My Vit D level is also low at 26, so I'm working on that. Melatonin does work for some; unfortunately I can't take it. It's good for calming the brain and ensuring better sleep for those who tolerate it. My grandson was put on it for his ADD, but he unfortunately has my genes and can't take many of the same meds/supplements I'm intolerant to.

Good luck finding something that works for you......Jole