I haven't been sick much this winter--is this weird?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Beckula, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Beckula

Beckula New Member

I usually get sinus infections, colds, flu--and this year I didn't...

Does anyone have any clue why this is? I work for developmentally disabled adults and my co-workers and residents have been sick this winter--at least two or three of them at the same time all winter.

I haven't done anything different, like eating better or washing my hands more often--I just have been fairly healthy.
  2. zerped

zerped New Member

When I first got hit heavy with CFIDS, I was working in an alcohol and drug treatment center. It's the largest facility of its kind (they take anyone, regardless of ability to pay) in the state, so many of the clients I was dealing with 8+ hrs. a day came right off the streets. There was one funky virus after another going around there.

I began missing work a lot, but continued there another year. For those two years and the year following being diagnosed with CFIDS, I never had a cold or flu. By this time, I was getting a good idea of how to manage the disease, and didn't go through so many extremes. That's when I got a cold again. So far it's been one big one and one little one over 4 years, which is pretty amazing, when I think of it.

My theory (with some support from my primary physician) is that, with the disease kind of running the show, there were antibodies that I didn't need in my bloodstream almost all the time. As I managed my activity and began "pacing," I triggered fewer and fewer unnecessary antibodies, and with less of those, I was vulnerable to bugs I was exposed to.

No scientific proof of this theory, but doctors have told me "there might be some truth to that."

3. Beckula

Beckula New Member

Thanks for sharing your story :)
  4. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I had oral thrush in December, but I wouldn't say that was being sick. Because I have diabetes, I get that off and on. My endo gives me an Rx for that and I keep a bottle of the Mycelex Troches Rx here all the time, just in case.

Otherwise, I haven't been sick, but have been in an awful flare most of this month.

My husband is the one who runs all the errands, yet he doesn't get sick much either. He did have a cold and my son had one too, but I never got it.

I do try to keep my hands washed a lot, though.

Hugs,
    Faye