I Heard From Dr. Nicolson RE: Mycoplasmas

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, May 7, 2006.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am posting this under a separate topic because some may have missed it under the other one. Dr. Nicolson has responded to me within 24 hours on the two occasions I have written to him. He is one of my heros for his work, under very adverse conditions, to link mycoplasma infections to Gulf War Illness and many other illnesses, including ours.

I had written to ask him whether some of the mycoplasmas survive in the body even after the ABX, in my case 2 1/2 years on ABX, are discontinued and the symptoms are gone. The reason I ask is because when I get sick with a virus, it is often followed up by getting a fever which I suspect is the mycoplasma trying to reactivate while my immune system is busy fighting off the other infection. Here is what he said in his reply:

The problem with these types of intracellular bacterial infections is that you never truly or completely rid your tissues of the infection. The treatment suppresses or should suppress the infection to the point that you
    should not be exhibiting signs and symptoms.

Unfortunately, not all of the infection can
    be killed, because some fraction is always in a cyst or persistent form that is not sensitive to Abx. If your body can hold this fraction in check, then you should be all right and have a normal life.

Prof. Nicolson

I will be printing this out for my doc when I see him.

Love, Mikie
  2. pepper

pepper New Member

First, I am amazed that someone as important as Dr. Nicholson would be so responsive - and so quickly too! He must be a very caring physician.

I thought you might be interested in what Dr. Burrascano has to say about Mycoplasma and how it needs to be treated. Perhaps you have seen this information before but I thought I would copy it from the article I posted on the Lyme board in case you haven't.

When Dr. B was speaking about Mycoplasma, he was referring to it as a co-infection of Lyme.

MYCOPLASMA

- CFS germ, Gulf War germ

- Test with PCR (have to do 3 or 4 to find it) – hard to diagnose (ie to see if it is present now) and treat; ELISA can show a past infection.

- Sinus infections are often mycoplasma

- Treat with Doxycycline and add Fluoroquinolone for 2 or 3 yrs. Can use Erythromycin and Rifampin with added Plaquenil (okay but less effective)

Pepper
  3. kbak

kbak Member

Hi Mikie,
    Thanks for keeping us updated. I have listened to Dr. Nicolson and Dr. John Martin on internet radio. I really like the fact that they support natural treatment also.

It's nice to have such capable people working on this problem.

K.
  4. Juloo

Juloo Member

I have initially gotten a negative for mycoplasmas, but I see here that they can be hard to find. The part that terrifies me is the length of time someone needs to be on a fluoroquinolone. What happens for someone like me for whom 2-3 days (much less YEARS) on a fluoroquinolone is too much? This is one of the things that worries me about Lyme as well.

Don't worry -- I don't expect an answer. Sometimes I just feel backed into a corner w/treatments, since some don't work, and some are already ruled out.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Pepper, thanks for the info. Lyme and mycoplasmas have a lot in common.

K, yes, Dr. Nicolson is a fan of colloidal silver and I have used it too.

Juloo, I am allergic to fluoride and cannot take Cipro or any of the drugs in that family. I did it all with the Doxy, which is still effective against the mycoplasmas. I am in an HMO and there is no way they would pay for PCR DNA tests which often come back with false neg. results. I had antibodies in my blood for the mycoplasma at the time of acute infection, so we knew that's what triggered my illnesses full blown. My doc agreed to try the Doxy to see what would happen. It worked but it took 2 1/2 years and as you can see, the mycoplasmas are never completely done away with. I had already been infected for 10 years when we started the intense treatment. That's probably why it took so long.

There is a transfer factor for mycoplasmas but only physicians can order them from ProHealth. They have a separate website for them. I may dig into it a little to see whether this might not be a better solution.

Thank you all for your interest and info.

Love, Mikie
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

Hi Mikie,

Interesting information, thanks for posting. I was wondering if the mycoplasma was the same as Lyme and other co-infections.

The last time we saw my son's LLMD he told us basically the same for Lyme etc., that once it was under control he would probably have to do rounds of abx every so often to make sure it was kept under control as he felt one never actually gets rid of it.

Trevor Marshall says the same thing BTW about his protocol.

What is scary and amazing to me is how little 'regular' doctors are aware of these intracellular organisms... and how the CDC appears to just ignore all these findings in general.

all the best,
    Victoria
  7. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

Thanks for sharing this!! I have myco and lyme . I firmly believe that most of us here are ill due to intracellular bacteria infections .

The upsetting part is that there is no real total fix for these infections . I see lots of people who do heavy duty and expensive trials of ABX for YEARS , and still never fully recover . That is why I feel that there has to be some solution other than totally depending on ABX , as you simply can not stay on them forever .

I am on samento and low dose doxy , both give me a strong herx . I am also going to start cumanda .

I think the samnto does kill some pathogens ( based on the herx reaction) . However , I REALLY wish the samento and other Antibiotic herbs had more solid science behind them . The info on burbur , cumanda, and samento is SOOOO sketchy that it makes one skeptical.

For those with myco infections , like you Mikie , you might want to consider using the samento in your regimen.
    It might kill myco as well as lyme .

I just read a biography about John Adams . He was in Belgium as a diplomat during Revolutionary War and contracted typhoid fever . The docs gave him " Peruvian Bark" and he firmly believed it kept him from dying at a young age . He thought it saved his life . I have wondered if the Peruvian bark was a form of Samento - I suspect it was .

Just a thought .
  8. Chootik

Chootik New Member

Recently I did some research on Pau D Arco and read some info about side effects such as clotting problems and issues like that. They didn't suggest using it for longer than 2 weeks! I'm just wondering how you feel about this? I know you really like it and have been taking it for a while. Did you see any adverse effects? Have you heard of anyone having a bad reaction to it? Just wondering...

Thanks.

Maryam
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, Victoria, most docs have no clue as to the danger with cell-wall-deficient pathogens nor how to treat them. I think what Dr. Nicolson was saying was that if one can get the load down and remain healthy, the mycoplasmas will stay dormant. Problem is that we have so many ups and downs with our health that it is impossible not to get sick with something else. I think that's when the mycoplasmas (same with Lyme) make their move.

Stormy and Ann, I am on the Guai Protocol and cannot use botanical extracts of any kind, unfortunately. This is one drawback to the Guai treatment but considering how much it has helped me, I'm willing to make that sacrifice. Everything, it seems, is a tradeoff.

I am so impressed with transfer factors that I may speak to my doc about the mycoplasma TF. Of course, the TF's don't confer permanent immunity so they have to be pulsed as well. Still, I think it's healthier to take the TF's than to have to keep taking drugs all the time. If only I could finally get healthy enough so that I don't have this problem, perhaps I could fight off the mycoplasmas on my own. That's been my plan with the probiotics, undenatured whey, and colostrum but we wouldn't be human if we didn't catch some kind of virus from time to time. I'm just thankful I have the ABX to fall back on.

Thanks again to you all for responding.

Love, Mikie
  10. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Seems like all the mroe reason to build up the immune system avoid stress and surgeries, take good care of yourself if you don't feel good ect and continue to pace even when you are feeling better. Try not to give these things a toehold so they can reactivate.

Good Info thanks Mikie Lynn
  11. findmind

findmind New Member

This is one of my heroes! Have you read his new book, Project Daylily? My gosh, it is so great. Do you have any idea who his wife IS? The book says she is heir to someone's fortune...I can't figure it out!

Anyhow, I have 3 Mycoplasmas by PCR. But I don't do anything about them. My VA dr. offered ABX, but I said no, I will take very good care of myself and see if my own immune system can keep me well...

So far, I have only had 2 bad colds and one 2-day flu, so think good meals, vits and good sleep meds, and neurontin for PN have been the support I need while have CFS and FM.

I do have mild COPD, and if I ever feel the M. has made me worse, I would take the abx...my dr. stays on top of my health really well, and I trust him. Biggest problem with VA would be if I am ever in hospital, your PCP never sees you!!! And who ever READS your medical records??? Noone, so all the labs just start all over again, LOL.

I did call Dr. N. once when his lab 1st opened...he answered phone and talked with me for 30 min. about the M. lab I was having tests at...

Then recently, I had a Q. for him, emailed him, and he answered within 24 hours. A gentle kind and caring person, and both he and his wife have been invaluable in the fight for veteran's especially.

Best to you...
    findmind
  12. Chootik

Chootik New Member

Thank you for the info on Pau D Arco. I agree with you but when you read this research findings then it puts a doubt in your mind that if you should take it or not.

But I'm not doing ABX right now, couldn't tolerate it so I think I have to start using this stuff.

13. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

From what I have read, mycoplasmics can and do hide out, much as chicken pox hides on the nerves and can suddenly recur years later as shingles.

Many docs explain the AIDS/HIV count disappearance, as it hiding out intracellular and no longer being in the blood and serum.

I had mycoplasmic pneumonia when my child was an infant and after nursing him for two weeks around the clock, I developed it.

I had that hack for months.

I am allergic to PCN, sulfa, erthromycin and RIFAMPIN.

RIFAMPIN IS TOXIC STUFF.

I was exposed to what they told me was meningococcyl meningitis when my son was 18 months old and was cleared to take it to prevent developing it and potentially giving it to the whole family. IT NEARLY KILLED ME. I had a Stens Johnson response and NEARLY DIED. MASSIVE DOSES OF STEROIDS, FLUIDS, BENADRYL, EPINEPHRINE, AND ALL KINDS OF STUFF LATER, IMMEASURABLE PAIN, AND SIX WEEKS OFF THE JOB AND IT WAS HORRIBLE.

The patient turned out to have streptococcyl meningitis instead of meningococcyl.

I wonder if I could still hoard mycoplasmas all these years later?
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Again, I appreciate your contributing to this discussion. Our members here are the best resource for getting info on our conditions/symptoms and for treatments/warnings on treatments.

Honestly, sometimes, we just get one thing after another. I was soooo tired from my trip to Atlanta and then I got that stomach thing which continued to keep me down. Now, the red tide is overwhelming some of us here. I am staying inside with my air cleaners running. I have a sore throat, swollen lymph nodes, and a headache. I will be through with my pulse of the Doxycyline in a few days. If I'm not better by then, I will likely go back to the antiviral just to make sure one of the Herpes Viruses hasn't reactivated. A chain of events can wipe us out and send us back to square one.

Love, Mikie