I hesitate to post here

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by Pippi1313, May 4, 2009.

1. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Greetings All!

I've been reading your posts here. I wanted to say something, although I'm a bit hesitant. I don't want to offend anyone, or be offended. I've noticed that sometimes people here do get offended. Especially when someone insists there's "only one true way" or "only one true god".

Spirituality & religion is a tough subject for me, & one I don't discuss. Whenever someone brings it up, I do my best to politely change the subject or excuse myself.
    I'm very interested in peoples' spiritual experiences & journeys. But when speaking with friends of mine who are of a particular religion, I end up feeling spiritually assaulted.
    I know they mean well, & really want the best for me. But because they're so caught up in their religion, they feel a need to convert me to their way of believing.

Honestly, I wish I could believe in something as strongly & surely as they believe in their religion. I'm envious of the peace they find there, & I'm happy they have that peace.

I know that people who believe deeply & strongly about something, want to share it. They want me to experience the joy & peace they have. Unfortunately, what I experience is them telling me I'm wrong.

I'm glad the policy here is one of acceptance & tolerance.

There have been so many times I wanted to ask people to pray for me, but I was unwilling to open the door to a discussion of religion...

I think you're all very brave for posting here. :)

2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

It doesn't always run smoothly here and there is still learning. But we always hope that everyone accepts each others faiths and beliefs. There are some very interesting and informative posts on various religions and beliefs and I love to learn. You may find them interesting too.
  3. springwater

springwater Active Member

dont feel apologetic about being ambivalent in your feelings towards religion...the way the world is and the onslaught of challenges some of us are made to face, is enough to make many of us question the sense of it all, and we do sometimes. Its but natural. Its just a part of the journey of learning..who knows where the journey ends?

Yes, people who are absolutely secure in their beliefs are to be envied....if this helps them to live in a peaceful way and if the faith brings them great peace and joy and satisfaction.

On this board we are learning to get along irrespective of the challenges the different belief systems throw up from time to time. That in itself is a triumph of ourselves as a people, the so called brotherhood of man...where everyone is equal, and equally precious.

God Bless

4. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Pippi,
    I actively cultivate my ability to live peacefully, happily and compassionately in the true state of not knowing. I don't envy people who "believe" since I "believe" that we cannot know. It is a Buddhist concept. Not all Buddhists subscribe to it. Even within each faith there is an infinite variety of beliefs. Some people here write about believing in Goodness. I can totally get behind that!

Spring,
    I've been reading and thinking about you. It never rains but... actually, it never rains, and... Take care of yourself.

Peace All!
    Rafiki

5. Denamay

Denamay New Member

All I can say is, thanks you for posting!

I relate exactly to what you are saying.

I have used this board to sort out my ideas and beliefs and it has helped me clarify my thoughts.

I, like you looked at this site for quite awhile before jumping in.

There are those that agree and disagree and this is good.

Just take your time and sort it out for yourself.

Love and best wishes from Denamay

[This Message was Edited on 05/04/2009]
  6. windblade

windblade Active Member

I feel that there is always more for me to learn and grow in. A lifetime's task. I love the people here - I have been so enriched by all they have shared - and for who they are.

Welcome!
  7. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Have learned so much about spirituality from this board. I was seriously lacking in this area before I started reading, and learning from the many wise people on this board.

I feel peaceful here and sometimes sad too because I dredge up old hurts but in the end I become just a little wiser than I was.

Even though there are the occasional heated debates, I still consider this best board ever!!

Have I learned what "religion" I am....no, have I moved closer to God...yes:)

Blessings,
    Deb
  8. vivian53

vivian53 Member

I think you must be the brave one for posting and I am glad you did. Yes sometimes there are disagreements here but they seem to be resolved in the end and in my belief it helps us all grow.

I know you can tell by reading the posts that many of us are at different places in our religious journeys. That's just one of the things that makes this such a great board.

There is so much to learn and so many wise people here to learn from. I love it here, love all the people and love the differences.

I look forward to talking to you.

vivian
  9. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I was a bit anxious about how y'all would take what I said. That's because spirituality & faith are so very personal, & feelings about it are so strong.
    Now I see I didn't have to worry. Thanks for putting me at ease here!

:)
  10. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Gee, I already wrote you a note and it went poof. So, I will try and start again. Glad to see you here. I like what SJ said about you being a Longstocking (-: !! When my kids were young Pippi Longstocking was popular for a time. So, that is what I though of when I saw yur UN.

So glad that you came back to be with us. Yes, our board has had some ups and downs but for the most part the people here are pretty understanding and wonderful people.

Don't have much more time to post but I did want to sy HI and a big WELCOME. Lately I haven't been here that often either but I love to read the posts, even if I do not post all the time that some do.

Blessings and hugs to all,

Granni
    [This Message was Edited on 05/05/2009]