I just became an Ambien statistic

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Densgirl, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Densgirl

Densgirl New Member

I had been taking Ambien along with Lexapro for the last 3.5 week with no complications. Then on Monday morning I got up and ready for work as usual and half way there (a total 10 mile drive) I started seeing double and that's pretty much the last thing I remember except, I do vaguely remember hitting the guardrails (and wiping out the side of my car $2500.00 damage). I remember nothing after that until a short time after I arrived at work. I am very fortunate that I did not hit any other people or cars and that is the good news. I do not remember the last 5 miles of the drive or unloading equipment from my car. A while after I woke up so to speak and wondered if I dreamed crashing my car. I went out to check and saw that it was very real. I reported it to my doctor who was shocked, but reluctant to blame Ambien. I was not like falling asleep. It was more like being in a trance. Very scary and my insurance company is sure to either raise my rates or drop me. Abien users be warned!
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

I saw a segment on FOX News about the seemingly Ambien problem. I was on it for a year or so and then abruptly, with no explanation, my doctor switched me to Lunesta.

Another piece of the puzzle. I wonder why Ambien?

3. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

It does happen with Ambien, far as I've read. I read an article about Ambien users sleep-eating. Like sleep walking, but you eat vast quantities of food at night without being aware you are doing it - until you find the empty flour bags the next day.
  4. damz68

damz68 New Member

If you are poor you can not get lunesta. It is not covered by medicaid.
  5. Meghanne

Meghanne New Member

Anterograde amnesia is a common side-effect of Ambien, not remembering things that happen after you take. That's why they say to go directly to bed. I even learned to shut the phone off every night because I'd have calls I didnt' remember the next day. I'm relieved to not have that anymore now that I'm on the Xyrem. There were nights I promised my DF things, made suggestions, etc, and had no clue the next day.

6. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

and was telling me how she has seen patients do the strangest things while they were on ambien...

she said he ob dr wanted to prescribe some after she got home from hospital from having a baby...she said no way not ever the things she has seen....

sorry to hear about your unfornate accident...you are lucy you are here to speak about it today...i guess that would be your blessing for now....the insurance will cover it...i doubt you will be dropped because of this...

i take ambien dr says to try to take it every third day if you...

7. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

over 2 years ago my mom took Ambien about an hour before going to bed. After she took it, she took a hot bath and didn't go to bed immediately as directed. She started hallucinating and lost substantial control of her movements. Doctor said it was ambien plus the fact that she didn't take it just prior to sleep. She stayed in the hospital for about a day until the neurologist made that ruling.
  8. livin4him

livin4him New Member

It's mostly been just the eating while I am asleep part. It will be after I am already down too, I then get up and go eat. lol No wonder I've gained weight.

Boy, I think I better find an alternative to this stuff.
    I am so glad you were not hurt and no one else was hurt also. I am sorry that this happened to you, I will say a prayer for you about this.

Take care.
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 03/23/2006</i>]
  9. libra55

libra55 New Member

I used to get up, cook whole dinners, bake cookies at 3AM, eat it all, go back to bed. Find dirty dishes next morning! Drive all over town, not remember who I had seen or where I had been!

I take Klonopin now.

CATHYRG New Member

oh my gosh, i am so glad you are ok. please do not continue to take it or any of its"cousins" it will probably take another 2-3 years for the med companies to own up to it.
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 03/23/2006</i>]
  11. singingirl

singingirl New Member

my father took ambien a few times, and every time he did, he would hit my mother in his sleep. We would all pick on him and tell him that we knew he was really awake. I had no idea all of this could happen on this pill. I am so glad he stopped taking it.
  12. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I am on ambien too...for about 2 years...i only take 5 mgs..i break the 10 mg tab. in half...i hated the way my dh and dd would laugh at me and what i did after i took it...i would eat stuff and not remember...and i still do that a little...worst of all, i will order stuff on QVC and not remember and order stuff online...i never know what will show up at the door from UPS!!!!

it is funny and it isn't...
  13. ellenelle

ellenelle Member

Simply put: you could end up injuring or even killing someone else. Allowing it to remain on the market is just another example of the FDA's indifference to public welfare.

14. piebear

piebear New Member

That is so scary. I'm glad to hear you are ok. And yea you probably shouldn't take it anymore if it does that. I sure wouldn't if things like that happened. My goodness.

I tried Ambien a few months back for almost a week. Didn't help that much with my sleep and I was so tired and out of it all day long and.. I was suddenly getting severely depressed..suicidally depressed which I hadn't been before hand. So I decided to stop taking the Ambien to see what would happen and see if it was the cause. Sure enough the grogginess went away and so did the depression. Scary. So needless to say no more for me! My doctor was very suprised when I told him how I reacted.
    It continues to amaze me how everyone reacts differently to the same drug.
  15. sop28

sop28 New Member

I am a nurse and have seen many people do fine on Ambien. I'm wondering if there is some connection to the fact that so many people with FM/CFS are more sensitive to substances, and already have difficulty with alertness?
  16. granny1353

granny1353 New Member

and I have no problem. I also take lexapro, but I take that after lunch. I do get up at 3 am and eat but I am aware of it at the time, I can also control it, some nights I just go to the bathroom and go back to bed.

Just a different version.
  17. ephemera

ephemera New Member

see this post re: accidents on the rise due to Ambien

Ambien - - New Sleeping Sickness Is Haunting Highways
  18. Densgirl

Densgirl New Member

Rest assured I am not taking Abien again. I know how lucky I am. My Dr. chaulked it up to an over sensitivity to drugs. I won't be taking anything stronger than Tylenol PM from now on although it doesn'help much.
  19. taniazcatz

taniazcatz New Member

I'm a nurse and I work with alzheimer's patients. Ambien does some strange things to people when they take it. Its often very hard to figure out if the odd behavior is a product of the ambien or the alzheimers or both. I've started a campaign with my director of nursing to try and our patients who are currently taking ambien switched to another hypnotic. Ive had patients remove their own IV's at night, all kinds of things. Im glad you werent seriously injured, good luck.

20. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

My doc says that Sonata does the same thing. He took me off it.