I just got chewed out by pharmaacy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mrsjethro, Jun 9, 2006.

1. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

I've had a particularly rough couple of months (fm, mps, kidney stones, you name it) and my NP is working with me trying different meds, dosages, etc. to try and find what helps. Well, I ran out of my xanax 8 days early(this is the first month that I've had them and I only had 30 - 1 each night). I had the nurse call and let the pharmacy know that it was okay for me to go ahead and get them refilled and when I called to see if they were ready, the pharmacy tech told me that I should not have run out early and that the doctor was going to have to change my dosage directions immediately and then proceeded to chew me out for taking so much medicine. I started to just change pharmacies, but I've been with them for a long time and I'm trying to convince myself that maybe she was just having a bad day. That really hurt my feelings though. She made me feel like I had done something wrong just because I actually needed the medicine to help control my pain. Should I change pharmacies, or just send them a letter asking them to try and be understanding while we are experimenting with medications and changes because the stress just makes matter worse? I've actually written the letter and was going to print them out some information describing the condition and symptoms and necessity for random med changes until we find the right combination and also that I have a signed pain contract with my doctor. I was actually having a decent day until that. Why is it necessary for people that don't understand to lash out at us for their own ignorance? I feel like I've been hurt by one of the people that I actually depend on to help me get better. Or am I just approaching this from the wrong angle and taking it all too personally? Thanks for letting me vent. That helped a little bit. Has anyone else ever had this problem?
  2. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

GET ME STARTED!!!

I had a "new" (just written) prescription for Norco and my regular pharmacy was closed. The pharmacist where I took it started asking me questions loudly enough for the other 10 people behind me to hear.

1. How much of this do you take daily?
    2. Are you getting it from other doctors?
    3. What do you HAVE?
    4. Why does he prescribe pain medication for FM?
    5. I can't fill this without authoriztion from the doctor.

The answer to the last one was,

Isn't "authorization from the doctor" the DEFINITION of a written prescription..??

I took it out of her hand, said something nasty about people who couldn't get through med school becoming pharmacists, and waited until the next day for my regular pharmacy to fill it - which they did with no problem.

I HATE IT WHEN THAT HAPPENS!!

- julie (is free!)

You can't fix stupid! - Ron White
  3. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I would tell your doc, she can call them.

i would also ask to speak to the mananger, they alway's have the pictures of the "head' person in each section.

That is not their place, your med use is between you anf your doctor.

I had a similar experience with my doc's nurse, she accused me of abusing pain med's because i askes to see my doc about getting something stronger. I complained to my doc, he mumbled an apology and that was it.

I'm not sure if I will continue to see him, because I have to deal with her first. Too much stress, I hate to go as it is.

Again, I'm sorry you had that happen, they were out of place. I wouldn't let it go.

I use to let people walk all over me, but I'm tired of it. I deserve the same respect I give to everyone.

So do you.:)

Best wishes,
    Claudia
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

.... if you don't have the energy to go talk to them, is have your NP call them and explain that you're having to try many things right now and to LIGHTEN UP. If, that is, you're determined to stay a customer there. And remember, you ARE a customer who can take their business elsewhere in a heartbeat.

They have no business saying ONE WORD to you about how much or what you're taking unless it's to warn you about a drug interaction or answer a question you might have. Go to the manager if you do go in.

AKA What Claudia said. Guess I should read ahead.

Marta

[This Message was Edited on 06/09/2006]
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

First of all, the pharmacy tech was out of line by chewing you out. She should have talked with you like a professional and explained that when a doctor prescribes meds such as Xanax and gives you a 30-day supply, you should not run out early if you take them as prescribed.

The pharmacy probably has a standard rule that they do not fill prescriptions early for meds. In fact, my pharmacy will not fill ANY script early--but it is because of my drug insurance. My insurance refuses to pay early. I think I can only call in a refill 2 days early for it to go through on the computer with my insurance. So, it may not be the pharmacy's rule anyway.

Still, she had no reason to be rude--her actions were totally inappropriate. I, personally, would not change pharmacies, nor would I say anything to the tech. Instead, I would call the owner of the pharmacy, or if he/she never is at the store, I would talk with a pharmacist--not a tech. I would explain how rudely you were addressed on the phone and that you did not appreciate it. I would tell him/her that you actually thought of changing pharmacies due to the incident, but you won't unless it happens again.

In all honesty, you could have explained to the tech all you wanted to about trying to get the correct doseage of the med, etc., but she would not have cared about what your excuse was. They hear it all. There are so many people out there who abuse drugs and call the pharmacies with every excuse in the world on why their scripts ran out early, or that they were stolen, etc. that they don't believe anyone. They just follow the rules.

They figure if your doseage had changed, your doctor would have given you a new prescription with a different doseage. If you had presented a new script for a different med and/or the same med with a new strength, the story would have been different.

I think I would chalk this one up to a learning experience and never ask for a refill before the 30 days is up, or before your insurance will allow your refill to be processed.

I am glad that your Nurse Practitioner is working closely with you to get you back on tract and over your rough spell. I, too, have had kidney stones on top of multiple problems and it is no fun.

Hope you get to feeling better really soon.

Hugs,
    Janet
    [This Message was Edited on 06/09/2006]
  6. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

It seems that these days pharmacies are really on the lookout for people who abuse medicine and they are looking for any reason to put you on the "watch" list. I don't think it would be a good idea to say that you are "experimenting" with medications. It might be taken the wrong way. I am not saying that your pharmacy will do this, however, I would not even try to explain your medical needs with the pharmacist or tech. This is between you and your doctor.

If you can, ignore them. Let it go. Some people will just behave badly. If you must, speak to the owner of the pharmacy.

Lolalee

7. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

I think the part that got me the worst was the fact that my doctor (his nurse actually) had already called and authorized the prescription to be refilled early and I still got the butt chewing.
    Lolalee - thanks very much for the heads up on the watch list. I think I'll not send the letter and stir the poo any further. (the more you stir it, the more it stinks) Based on the many various symptoms and sicknesses I've had in the past that go along with all of this, (major back surgeries, migraines, kidney stones, muscle spasms, other surgeries etc.) I may already be on that list...
    Julieisfree05, I can't believe that the pharmacist did that to you!! So uncalled for! You handled yourself well though. I wish my brain would have engaged quickly enough to have thought of something like that. That certainly tops my situation. How outrageous!!!
    I think that since they've treated me like this, this will be the last time that they have that opportunity. I don't have to put up with this and I may go ahead and switch to another pharmacy. I wanted to stay with them because I know and trust the 2 main pharmacists, but the techs are really lacking in customer service skills. I also used to work with 1 other pharmacist in town at another business, so I may move my business to him - and if I do, I will go in and personally explain the situation to him to make sure that he doesn't have a problem with it. I'm going back to see my NP on Monday, so I will discuss this with her first and get her opinion also. Thanks so much for the stories and support. It makes such a wonderful difference to feel like you are understood and accepted for who you are, defects and all... You all brighten my day so much. I love my friends here.
  8. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

It made me want to change, but I stuck it out. I don't get all defensive w/ them anymore, just tell them to take it up w/ your doctor if they have a problem w/ your meds. The doctor is in charge of your rx's, not the pharmacy, their job is just to fill it out.

Jeanne
  9. woofmom

woofmom New Member

You're the customer. You should always be treated with respect. If not for customers, they couldn't stay in business. It's none of the "tech's" business how much medicine you take. Ask her if she always leaves her manners at home.
  10. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

How sad. I am bothered that the Tech was the one challenging you. Your response was wonderful. You should not feel bad but I understand why you would. I have to say that this is personal. Our illness is very personal to us and we are very aware of how many meds we take. We don't need some "Tech" preaching at us.
  11. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i would just go thourgh your dr office and explain it w/them...then they can increase your dosage to make it all legal for you..

have you tried klonopin for sleep pain and muscle spasms yet/

it has helped me...but like you i think i need to call my dr and tell them .5 mgs isn't cutting it at night...

good luck and take care

jodie
  12. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i have seen this both as a patient and as a nurse calling in prescriptions for patients. at times it seems like phamacists and their staff simply go on little power trips.
    i used to work for an oncologist (cancer md) in downtown chicago. most of our patients used this one locally owned pharmacy in the area that delivered. every now and then one of the pharmacists would question a common prescription we called in for vicodin 100 tablets with a couple of refills. the pharmacists acted like this was excessive and wanted to know what could justify that kind of pain med and that amount. we were treating cancer patients and they new it, they actually got upset because they thought we were causing patient to become addicted. i became very tired of explaining that cancer patients had quite a nit of pain and this was not too much. it got to the point that we started asking our patients not to use that pharmacy. they really don't have the right to demand your medical history to justify what you doctor prescribes, if the doctor orders it they need to fill it unless there is an allergy or some type of bad med interaction.
    rachel
  13. glafdy

glafdy New Member

Just last month I had the same thing happen to me. My doctor gives me 50 pills of Xanax, but says to take one a day. Usually they prescribe an amount that would last for 30 days, but he prescribed 50. There was a lot of stress last month so I went through the 50 Xanax in about 23 days. My script had a renewal on it so I tried to refill it. They, too, told me that I had to have the doctor change the directions to take 1 or 2 a day, and write a new prescription in order to get it filled.

I don't think they were singling you out at all, its just the sometimes the doctors talk to you and say you can take 1 or 2 a day, increase the number of pills, as in my case from 30 to 50, but forget that the old script said take 1 a day. And it is an insurance thing that makes you have to get a new script to change it if you need more before your 30 days is up.

I am blessed with a wonderful pharmicist that never questions all the prescriptions my husband and I take (we are both disabled). They explained to me why they needed to get that new script. Sometimes they will even call the doctors office to do it for me. So don't give up on all pharmacists yet. There are good ones out here. I would just be upfront with the pharmacist and let (s)he know what is going on in your life.

Take care. Gentle hugs to you.

Glafdy
  14. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

MrsJethro

I would say to change pharmacies, if there are others that are just as convenient near you. I was going to a Sav-On and gave them my Rx from the doctor. I came back about three days later after dropping it off and they said they would not fill it, as they had not heard back from the doctor confirming the Rx (this was a Rx for Ambien from FFC).

I was really frustrated and asked them to just give me back the Rx. They then told me that they had already returned it to me - and that it was confirmed in the computer that it was returned to me. After about 5 minutes of arguing with them and insisting they had not returned it to me, they finally looked for it and of course, they had it. I took it to a different pharmacy - no problems, filled while I waited and I will never go back to that Sav-On.

It is hard enough just refilling and picking up the Rx every 30 days that we don't need any additional hoops to jumps though!

Hopefully, there is another place near you that you can go,
    hugs, Maggy
  15. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

That just makes me soooo mad.

I signed an agreement with my doc regarding pain meds, and I am allowed to use ONE, and ONE ONLY pharmacy unless I have been sent to the emergency room. When I signed the agreement, I discussed with the nurse which pharmacy I ought to use. I was using Costco, and had been treated well. The nurse told me that that particular pharmacy was probably the best one in town for professionalism, knowledge and treating patients well, and as a bonus it is probably the cheapest in town, too. I have never been harassed about filling pain med scripts, nor anything else. They do speak with me about the particular script, and we usually talk about how the drug should work for my migraine, fibro pain, or whatever.

I cannot believe that someone would take a script away from somebody without calling the doctor, even if it is after hours. They wouldn't hesitate to call the police 'after hours' if it was a fraud and they knew it. I would have demanded that they call my doc's 'emergency' answering service, or give me the script back. They could easily write down the information, give you the script back, and follow up on Monday.

I NEVER go to the Wal-Mart pharmacy in our town because any script for more than ten vicodin gets you treated with extreme suspicion. If I show up with a script for a bunch of pain pills, I want the pharmacist to show some compassion- something obviously hurts- a LOT!

A pharmacist can, and should, be one of the members of your health care team. They can help you almost as much as your doctor in some instances, to find meds that work, and help you get the best prices. I urge everyone to find a pharmacy that will treat you with respect.
  16. marilynb

marilynb New Member

My Pharmacist & Pharmacy Tech live at my house. My husband is my Pharmacist & daughter is the Certified Pharmacy Tech. We just opened (in January) an independent Pharmacy about 1/2 mile from our house. (I even worked there today, to fill in for daughter. Please see my other post on I worked at family Pharmacy today) Everyone in town loves the great service they give. They give personal service with a smile & know most people by first name. Are members of Chamber of Commerce & my husband goes to a lot of events in town. We were a very small town of 1,250, when we moved here in 1995 & are now at about 20,000.

This tech was very rude & should not have treated you like this. I don't agree with how she treated you. Having said all that, please understand that they always have to be on the look out for the people who go around making out fraudulent RX's or who call in pretending to be a Dr. calling in an RX. They are licensed to do their jobs & if someone does something like this & it gets by them, they could loose their license.

My husband & daughter are very devoted to the patients & always make sure they have what they need. My husband even has his cell phone as an emergency contact & has met patients at the store, after hours so they could get something they really need in an emergency. If its something the store does not have in stock, it is ordered that day for next day delivery, or called in to another Pharmacy, in a pinch.

The patients appreciate the personal service they receive & never have to wait more than 5-10 minutes. Could you get service like that anywhere else???

Please find a good independent pharmacy that you can trust & get to know your pharmacist & techs. Some may be just out there for a paycheck, but most of them really do care about their patients.

Marilyn
  17. wyattsmom

wyattsmom New Member

How they treat us~ It really isn't their business. I had a similar experience, and now I get anxiety each time I go to pick up my pain meds.... someday they may end up like us and know what it feels like....Im so sorry you have experienced this, I thought it was just me...
  18. dolfenn43

dolfenn43 New Member

I feel sorry that that happened to you. Seriously its not there business. I feel that shes the one that has the problem with your medication. I dont wake up every AM and say to myself "oh Im so Happy I get to take all these meds that make me feel tired, constapated etc.

you owe her not a thing.-------------------------- She owes YOU. SHe should be FIRED.

Myself having this disease and the meds I take, am very sensitive. Its like my self esteam is low. some people may think Im faking or being weak, etc. But I try to remember I need to take care of myself and the B---- pharmacist needs to change her profecion.

Its none of her business if you take 1000000000000000000000 pills a day.

dolfenn
  19. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I have a wonderful pharmacist. She knows me very well...so well that she recognizes my voice on the phone! LOL

I do have a problem with chemical dependencies. The tech there (also a friend) always tells me he doesn't want to fill Rx's for sedatives/narcotics. But it's because they care about me...and they do fill the Rx's. They just like to let me know they care. And I know they don't want to fill them and it makes me feel cared for. They say it in such a way that i don't feel threatened or anything like that.

I know I'm lucky!

God Bless.
  20. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

I'm so sorry that happpened to you.
    It was not justified in any way, I'm sorry but, I'd have to raise a stink, no matter what.
    If she'll do that to you, she'll do it to others!
    I'm so thankful, our Phamacist and Tech's are friendly, I've known my phamacist for 10 years, everyone knows by name, and are very friendly and helpful, never, ever questions what the Dr's send through. And I guess it help's to be in a small town too.
    Best Wishes~ Karen