I Just Got Terrific Shoes for Really SWOLLEN Feet!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Aug 18, 2005.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

I am a diabetic and I get one pair of diabetic shoes per year that is paid for by Medicare and my private secondary insurance company.

The last few months, my feet and legs have been so swollen that I can't get any of the shoes that I own on!!

My feet have looked like little footballs, they are so swollen!!

I have been wearing my son's flip flops when I have to go out.

I had ordered this year's pair of diabetic shoes from the home health agency where I get my oxygen, CPAP, etc. They were a pair of regular looking athletic shoes, only deeper and wider for diabetic's feet which usually swell.

I stopped to pick them up and tried them on before leaving. I'm glad I did, because I could not even get my foot into them, and they weren't even as swollen as normal!!

I told the guy that I didn't know what I would wear for shoes this winter when I couldn't wear the flip flops!!

He told me he had the perfect shoe for people who alway say that!! He showed me these shoes that the front half is made from a double stretch jersey fabric-like leathery material. The shoes are supposed to be very durable and they are washable!! They look like an Active Walker shoe. You can not tell that the front half of the shoe is stretchable.

He said they are for people with swollen feet, hammer toes, bunions, arthritis, and hypersensitivity.

I put this shoe on and it felt like HEAVEN!!!!!! My big, fat, swollen tootsies slid right in the shoe with ease, and even tied with no problem!! Actually, the shoe looks like it is laced up and tied with a shoe lace; however, that piece is all Velcro and you just velcro is over and you're done. Sooooo easy to put on and take off.

When you stand up and walk you swollen foot doesn't feel like it's all bound up inside the shoe. My feet had swollen more since I left in the morning to go to town and had no trouble getting them in these shoes.

I got a black pair since I wear a lot of black slacks.

They are made by Acor. Acor has a website if you want to look at them. The name of them are "Comfort Street", Comfort Walking Shoes.

I also got the diabetic cushiony insoles to go in them to make them even softer on my feet!

Now, I finally have shoes to fit my football feet!!!

I even had to wear my flip flops to two funerals recently because of my feet.

And ... it's not my congestive heart failure, this time, causing the swelling - per the docs! They are now testing me from kidney issues to see if that's the reason for the abnormal amount of swelling.

Just thought I would pass along this info in case anybody else has feet so swollen that you can't get your feet into "normal" shoes!

Take care,
    Janet
  2. bozey

bozey New Member

That is great news. I always like to hear about anyone getting relief from any pain. I hope these shoes stay comfy for you and hope they keep your tootsies warm this winter.

bozey
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'll keep you in my prayers. The complications from diabetes can be horrible. Please take good care of yourself and keep at the docs until they can help you with this. Keep us updated and thanks for this post which will help others.

Love, Mikie
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

I am really getting concerned about my feet. They are becoming red and the redness is not going away.

What worries me more is that my father, who also was a diabetic, had to have multiple amputations on the same leg. First his toe, then foot, then up to his knee, then his thigh. It was horrible. I don't know if I could physically and mentally handle that.

Thanks for the prayers ... I'm afraid that I'm going to need them.

Janet
  5. ronter7

ronter7 New Member

i work at a pharmacy where we sell those shoes and heat the insoles for diabetics on medicare and they are awesome! i'm so glad you found a pair that work for you. there are so many choices, some very nice looking shoes and so comfortable. everyone who has gotten the shoes from us just love them. getting one pair of shoes and 3 sets of insoles per year is so beneficial for any diabetic who has medicare and supplement coverage. just wanted to say i am really happy for you and hope you enjoy them! just one more way to help you take care of your feet, which we all know you need to do. good for you! take care of yourself!
    ronda
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

Now they came out with the shoe inserts that no longer are heat molded to fit your feet -- you just slide them in your shoes and the body heat from your own feet mold them to fit your feet.

At least the guy who waited on me told me that they were new!

Yes, I'm really praying that they shoes will work out for me.

I have 2 other pairs of diabetic shoes, the regular type, and just love the way that they fit! And they are not bad looking either! I've always had a hard time getting shoes to fit--my foot is wide, but not that long.

Take care,
    Janet
  7. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

terribly swollen feet all the time too. What if you don't have supplemental insurance, just Medicare?
    I do have Diabetes, and my supplies are covered. Never heard of these shoes before tho.
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

I wore these shoes out today to go to the Chiropractor and they were HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For once I got my feet in to shoes, and they didn't even feel like I had shoes on!! They are the greatest invention for shoes for swollen feet that I can imagine!!!

You would LOVE THEM!!!!

If you have Medicare, Medicare will pay 80% of what THEY approve. You would be responsible for the balance if you don't have a secondary insurance policy.

You need a prescription from your doctor to get them. After you get your prescription, you take it to a store that sells them to be fitted for a pair .... and if they have them in stock (my store did) you get them that day, otherwise, they order your size.

These are made by Acor. Diabetic shoes are made by a lot of different companies. Just look in your phone book, yellow pages, and start calling the different Home Health, Medical Supplies, and stores like that to see IF they carry them, and what brands. Some pharmacies also carry diabetic shoes, and some shoe stores carry them. Maybe the yellow pages would have a listing under Diabetic Shoes ???????

These shoes only come in 2 colors -- black and tan.

I just can't brag about them enough.

If you need any more info, let me know. You might want to look them up on Acor's web site --- it's just www.Acor.com

Janet
  9. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

those sound great janet.

i don't have diabetes yet tihe the grace of god i hope not not too, but ihave feet and ankle problems and i'm only 40 years. they have mention orthotics but they will charge me at lest 300$. so i have been staying out of any high heels, those days are gone.

i'm glad you found some shoes that are like heaven for your feet.

take care of those tooties,

hugs jodie
  10. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Janet,
    Thank you for this post. I have both Diabetes and Congestive Heart Failure, and sensitive big toes, too.

I really appreciate the information. And I'm glad you found something you can wear comfortably.

Terry