I just need to vent....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CarolynAnne, Apr 4, 2006.

1. CarolynAnne

CarolynAnne New Member

Why is it that everyone thinks that they know what is best for me. It seems like everyone I know has become a "doctor" in the past week. "You shouldn't be on that medicine." "You need to exercise more." "You shouldn't sleep so much."...

I feel like I am my familys "topic of conversation" this week. It is so frustrating. Dont they realize I pay professionals good money to tell me what is wrong... I need there support rather than a personal diagnosis.

Dont they realize that if it was that easy to get better I would do ANYTHING?

Thanks for listening... Its nice to know that there are people who understand...

2. sues1

sues1 New Member

That is one we've all been through...even myself at first thought that I just had to keep pushing myself...anf I made myself worse. But it has been pounded into our heads...Use it or Lose it....

But this is one case that it is not true....it is hard to get others to understand that one.

I do not hear it often anymore....but every so often someone will tell me of an article they read or a product they heard of.......I just need to try it.....

My best come back now is.......I see Drs...I go to a support group where everyone has this.......I am on a online message board where we all share the latest info...
    if something is that good,or something I should do ..it will be brought to my attention. I would be thrilled. I thank you for sharing this with me though.

By the way..you are an attractive gal and I admire that you have got your education. You have spunk for sure!

Blessings.......Susan
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

PROFESSIONALS to listen. Well-meaning friends and relatives frequently say things that are stupid/ignorant/irrelevent/and just off the wall.

I have a friend who is disabled w/ emotional problems and a bad back. Exercise helps him so he persists in telling me exercise will help my CFS. WRONG!
  4. Callum

Callum New Member

It is so frustrating, isn't it? For me, I've found the most effective way to deal with it is to; first, remind myself that their advice comes from the impulse to fix what is broken, and the impulse comes from love and/or concern. Second, breathe before responding, and third, I tell them: "I know you're advice comes from you wanting me to be well, and I appreciate your concern, but what I really need at the moment is just knowing that you're there for me." It doesn't work with everyone, but it keeps me from sounding defensive, it keeps my friends and family in my corner, and sometimes it keeps me sane!

Best of luck!
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Plus we also get "advice" on how to treat our autistic child and my brain trauma DH, yet none of these people seem to check up to see how any of us are.

I guess we are lucky that people ignore us largely(LOL) at least there is that one benefit.

JUst try and put it aside, they don't understand.

Love Anne C