I just ordered my cane, wow it was hard emotionally

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Carlacat, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

Never thought I'd be doing this when I'm 39. I ordered it from house of canes, the slimline foldup with purple and lavender. I guess ya do what ya have to do....
  2. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

Never thought I'd be doing this when I'm 39. I ordered it from house of canes, the slimline foldup with purple and lavender. I guess ya do what ya have to do....
  3. diggity

diggity New Member

I got it when I injured my knee a few years ago. Couldn't walk without it. It was kinda hard at first to use it, that old disabled old person thing ya know. I did finally get used to it, I don't use it all the time, but It sure does help when I need it. It's mahogany and very fine, now I want to get a funky one. You know, one that I can carve, or paint, or hang feathers from etc. LOL. Hey if we gotta do it, we may as well get a few kicks out of it huh. I have a hiking stick that I use when I am able to go hiking, it's pretty cool, it's got all kinds of neat stuff that we've found in the woods hanging off it, hawk and eagle feathers, interesting wood knots and so on. There are names carved in it of people that we met on the trail and artwork carvings.It's pretty special. I like to think of my cane as a baby hiking stick. I hope you get to feeling better about using yours, I do think that we notice it a lot more than others do. :eek:)
  4. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

Sounds pretty!

House of Canes? Whats that?
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

These illnesses are very emotionally difficult for us, especially when we have a reality check that our mobility isn't what it used to be. I'm sorry.

If ya have to use a cane, it might as well be very chic and yours sounds very hip to me. I didn't even know they came in colors.

Love, Mikie
  6. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

I would have loved to have a nascar Dale Jr one but they dont make em. Houseofcanes is a website. They are very modern and stylish. Thanks Mikie..appreciated your post.
  7. kadywill

kadywill New Member

FASHION STATEMENT, DAH-LING!!!!!!!!!!

You'll be so cool everyone will think you planned it that way!! Use it with pride.

With love,
    Kady
  8. granmama

granmama New Member

Sounds like you have a real cool one that would fit your needs.

Recently, my right hip started hurting to the point it was difficult to walk without help.
    Ahh, the lightbulb came on, Papa's old cane! I got it out and used it around the house. Noone was here to assist me, but it did give me an odd feeling knowing this was the same cane my grandfather used to get about. Somehow, I think he would be proud to know that I had wanted it. But, I never figured I would ever need it.
    My husband and I have decided to retire in the county that he was born and raised.
    I guess life sometimes makes a full circle.
    Now, if we are getting into Nascar, I would prefer #6, Mark Martin!!!

take care all,
    granmama
  9. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

That name made me laugh so hard. It's like the House of Blues or something.

Having to accept that you need assistance is very difficult. I'm afraid of it myself...my thoughts are with you.

My sis-in-law had to be in a wheelchair prior to some surgery she needed & she got a real eyefull of what disabled people have to go through. Also, she got a taste of how people look at people disabled and how badly buildings are arranged. She has a healthy respect for disabled people. dolsgirl
  10. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I understand the emotional difficulty of needing to use a cane for the first time, although in my case, it seemed a lot better than being yelled at for using handicapped parking places (which I was legally entitled to use) or being accused of being drunk (which happened at least once that I clearly recall). I just considered my cane my "endurance insurance," and as I think I've mentioned before on this board, I got a very nice looking--and comfortable to use--cane from the House of Canes. (House of Canes has a web site, but in view of the recent post about URLs, I'm not sure how to direct people to it.)

My big emotional reaction came when the cane was no longer enough, and I needed to get a scooter so that I could get around in the community. I remember looking through a catalog from one company and breaking down in tears. At that point, I'd already been living with multiple sclerosis for nine years and had been an MS peer counselor. I *thought* I had completely accepted the fact of my MS, though my husband had insisted for quite a while that I was in denial. Turns out, he was right.

The fact is that both the cane and the scooter have made my life a great deal easier and have allowed me to do *much* more that really matters to me than I could have done if I had insisted on convincing everyone else (and maybe myself) that I wasn't really disabled.

I find that many of the comments made on this board about using canes and other mobility devices reflect destructive but deeply ingrained social stereotypes, prejudices and assumptions about living with a disability. Having a disability does *not* mean you are less worthy as a person, even though much of society still acts as if that were the case. And you don't have to be some kind of superhero to live a good life with a disabling condition, despite all the "SuperCrip" stories we get in the press and in the entertainment media. What we *do* need is access to appropriate and affordable medical care and support services, including not only appropriate pain medication and rehabilitative therapy to maintain (not just improve) function, but also for things like assistive technology to help compensate for lost or seriously impaired physical function.

So to those who find themselves confronting the need to use a cane for the first time, I say allow yourself time to feel your sadness about the situation. But don't get stuck there! It makes me both sad and a bit angry to see how many people still buy into the traditional stereotypes. Please don't do that--either to yourself or to the millions of people with disabilities in the U.S. and more around the world.

Okay. I guess now I can get off my soapbox.

--Laura