I know it's been talked about, Mononucleosis

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cczub, May 11, 2006.

1. cczub

cczub New Member

I've always wondered about this but have never gotten a clear cut answer..... My symtoms for fibro are like a bad case of mono and the flu....... I had Mono when I was 9-10. Who else has had mono?? I know that ever since I had mono I've never been the same with infections and now whenever I get a bad infection, I go into a flare that can last months before I can get back to a managable situation.
  2. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

I supposedly had mono, or some mono-like infection, when I was 15 years old. I, like you, never felt the same afterwards. I believe my CFIDS dates back to that, and I felt like I never fully recovered. Whenever I get an infection of any kind, I end up relapsing majorly. It can last from a couple days to a couple of months.

I've been confused recently, though, because my doctor tested me for EBV antibodies, which are associated with mono. However, I tested negative. So, now I'm left wondering what actually caused that mystery illness 9 years ago. I remember being out of school for over a month. Even my mom remembers them diagnosing me with mono.

My ID doc says it could have been another illness, such as CMV, Adenovirus, etc. Because, alot of them cause similar mono-like illnesses. But now I'm just completely confused as to what started all of this. Why am I so sick with this disease?

Anyway, didn't mean to go on rambling. But, many people with CFIDS and FMS seem to trace their disease back to an illness or some kind of traumatic event.

Gentle hugs,
    Kim
  3. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

A few years ago,I was tested for things and I wasn't even positive forhaving had simplex, which almost all Americans test positive.

Mono, absolutely not.

Then, I went to see my new FM doc, Dr. Salvato, in Houston, and she tested and I had a very, very high titer for the mono bug. I wasn't contagious, but have obviously had it, my body failed to attack it properly, which failed to inactivate it and form antibodies. THAT MEANS I HAVE MONO ALL THE TIME. YUCK.

She is treating me with some antivirals and some weekly injections but the fog has me and I forget the name.
  4. gsalyer06

gsalyer06 New Member

I had mono when I was 18, I'm 33 now and just started having fibro symptoms last October.
  5. findmind

findmind New Member

My 18 y.o. granddaughter was dx'd with "chronic EBV" at age 16; her dr. said they were beginning to understand more about it, and she just had to rest a lot and do what she could, to force herself.

Well she was almost totally in bed for the next 2 years. A little better now.

In my opinion, it is criminal malpractice not to give antivirals and immune support once this diagnosis is given, and I've never been able to figure out why its not done.

I, too, tested very high on my EBV testing. The only thing I can do is try to keep my immune system functioning with products I can afford, like Vits, etc. Each person responds to different things.

I hope you all find solutions to your illnesses and recover soon so there are no long-term consequences of not attacking with all your might!

findmind
    p.s. Search EBV by topic and this site, see if any more info there.....
  6. mahx

mahx New Member

I never was officially dx with a case of mono.....although my gma said i had it several times,or one long time, who knows now. I was always at the doc with strep.....most everything got blamed on that or tonsillitis.

From all i have read...it is likely i did have it.

MA
  7. JoaneWing

JoaneWing New Member

My friend had mono which led to fibromyalgia. I had the chicken pox at age 39 and that's how mine started. Also, my husband, had Epstein Barr which led to his chronic fatigue. I so think there is as link.
    Best wishes,
    Joan
  8. millennia

millennia New Member

I had it as a teenager.
  9. georgianewyork

georgianewyork New Member

I had mono at 12, in bed for 3 months. Seemed to always get sick so easy after that. The CFS came on after pneumonia in 2001.