I know this sounds crazy ...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MandaJ, Sep 16, 2008.

1. MandaJ

MandaJ New Member

But I found something today that helps with the huge muscle knots I (and many others) get in our shoulder blades that hurt so much.

Lay on the floor with a golf ball under your shoulder. Wiggle around until you hit the right spot and then go limp on the ball. There will be intense pain for a few seconds (or there was for me) but after 15 or 20 seconds, I could feel the muscle knot release and I immediately felt better.

It sounds insane, but I feel so much better I had to share :)
  2. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

i've done something similar.

i *had* a little massage thing. it was a bee with 4 longer legs on with little balls on the end, and it vibrated.

i would lay on my bed and put it between my shoulders or lower back, with the balls on either side of spine.

then i would move around a bit til it hit the bad knots, then i would deaden my weight on it, and just lie there for awhile, while it vibrated.

it really does help.

unfortunately, i killed the bee. 2 of it's legs broke off.=) i'd like to find another like it.

thanks for the idea.
  3. mujuer

mujuer New Member

It doesn't sound crazy at all Manda. There are alot of us on here that have Chronic Myofascial Pain and trigger points get set up all over our bodies and using a ball is just one of the techniques we use. I am glad you found it on your own. There is another great tool out called a "theracane" that is a lifesaver for me. Just google it and you will find it.

There is a great book out that shows you how to precisely do trigger point release. It is by Clair Davies and it is called "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook".

Glad you found it and glad you feel better. P
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

I discovered this only with a tennis ball,,against a the wall,,you lean on it and roll it around to wherever you need to relieve the Trigger point-Muscle knots and then you just lean into the ball as hard as you can,,,,,

it does work and helps break up those nasty muscle knots,,,,,,my Dr. also said that it helps to detox build up fluids too!,,,,,I know it hurts but,,,,you will feel better after!
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

they can act in the place of the 'bee' or tennis ball or whatever...

My DH often gets knotted up in his shoulders, as does my son. I find the spot, massage it a bit, then put my elbow there and lean into it as hard as they can handle. Sometimes it takes all my bodyweight, sometimes they can barely stand any pressure. It usually loosens up fairly quickly.

Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work as well that way for me... I'm so tender they have a hard time just putting a little pressure on vs too much. So I've used a tennis ball in a sock against a wall - also corners can be good too.

all the best,

6. cordy250

cordy250 Member

something called the backnobber? It lets you do kind of a similar motion but in an upright position.

Do a search and check it out. It's a very simple and sturdy piece of equipment.