I know this will certify me as crazy but......

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by IacheIache, Aug 11, 2003.

1. IacheIache

IacheIache New Member

What is herx, herxing??
    I was in the health-care field for TWELVE YEARS and have never heard of this.
    FInally got up the nerve to ask.
    ~Thea~
  2. kgg

kgg New Member

It is the reaction your body has to the toxins that are released when yeast die off. Mycoplasma dying can cause the same thing. You feel like you have the worse flu ever. Headache, muscle aches, fatigue, etc.

If you type in "herx" in the message search box above you will find more technical explanation, in the past messages about this.

-Karen
    PS You are not crazy for asking this. Remember, there is no such thing as a dumb question. (learned that in nursing school).[This Message was Edited on 08/12/2003]
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This effect was named after the doc who discovered it. It occurs when there is a massive killoff of pathogens in the body. There are two theories of what causes this.

One says that the dead pathogens release toxins into the system until they can be excreted.

The other says that the flu-like feeling from Herxing is caused by our own immune systems as they do battle with the pathogens.

My personal theory is that it is probably a combination of the two.

You don't need to work up the nerve to ask questions here. Folks here are always willing to help. We get this question all the time. BTW naturopathic practitioners call it a Healing Crisis. As Grandma used to say, "It's gonna get worse before it gets better."

Love, Mikie