I know we get burning sensations -- but freezing ones too?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by marcus1243, Dec 12, 2002.

1. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

Okay so it's turned pretty icy over here in the UK, and I'm wondering if that's affecting those of us with FM or CFS, but I'm getting symptoms that are really odd: Sometimes, my feet will 'burn' and I'll get similar burning 'hot spots' everywhere; arms, trunk, scalp etc. I think a lot of us get that. But the weirdest new symptom is that of intense cold -- like my legs and feet are encased in ice. Sometimes, this iciness will spread to an arm or hand, but generally it's lower body. It's not a normal sensation of cold, but rather an extreme one. (Heaters, hot water bottles, hot baths, rice bags all get rid of the sensation temporarily but it comes back).
    Do you think this could be the autonomomic nervous system out of whack, is it a sign of neurologic damage, or is it part of an ongoing neuropathy? (feet occasionally tingle too). I feel the cold so much more than I ever used to!
    Thanks for the help!
    --marcus
  2. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

Okay so it's turned pretty icy over here in the UK, and I'm wondering if that's affecting those of us with FM or CFS, but I'm getting symptoms that are really odd: Sometimes, my feet will 'burn' and I'll get similar burning 'hot spots' everywhere; arms, trunk, scalp etc. I think a lot of us get that. But the weirdest new symptom is that of intense cold -- like my legs and feet are encased in ice. Sometimes, this iciness will spread to an arm or hand, but generally it's lower body. It's not a normal sensation of cold, but rather an extreme one. (Heaters, hot water bottles, hot baths, rice bags all get rid of the sensation temporarily but it comes back).
    Do you think this could be the autonomomic nervous system out of whack, is it a sign of neurologic damage, or is it part of an ongoing neuropathy? (feet occasionally tingle too). I feel the cold so much more than I ever used to!
    Thanks for the help!
    --marcus
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I could swear that you asked this same question before, and that I answered it before...or maybe my brain is playing tricks on me!
    Anyway, I live in Florida, but have the same problem. I am overly sensitive to both heat and cold and get the freezing block of ice feet you mention. In fact, I get waves of chills than run across my body and make my hair stand on end and goose bumps on my arms. You are right, it goes deep, deep inside, unlike regular cold. It feels like my insides are just as cold as any exposed skin. I sometimes lay awake all night with these chills. Then, they may suddenly change to suffocating heat, or vice versa. I have chills in 90 degree weather, and hot feelings in 40 degree weather. I also have feelings of heat and suffocation in rooms where no air is moving, no matter what the temp. is. I was sitting in the doc's office once when all of a sudden the outsides of both arms started freezing and broke out in goose bumps and hair stood on end. Simultaneously, the insides of my arms started to burn like they were being held in a flame. My doctor was fascinated. He could feel the huge differnce in temperature and said he had only read about this sort of "autonomic mis-firing" in books. He enjoyed the experience: I did not. I was not given a solution, except "do what you have to do to be comfortable".
    bah humbug!
    Klutzo
    The doc says it's dysautonomia. Who knows. Since you are a man it can't be menopause!
  4. Shelle16

Shelle16 New Member

I to get the freezing sensations and the tingling feet. and most recently I have had this hot feeling across my face.Like it was in a fire. I haven't got to tell my doc about his one. I have been diagonis with neuropathy also. Actually that is what I had first.Anyway that is supposely what is causing the freezing spells I have.My left hand is almost always colder than the rest of my body I have to where a glove on my left hand 75% of the time indoors as well as outdoors.I'm now also very sensitive to the sun/heat.I used to spend my summers at the lake or the pool. I didn't even put a suit on this summer. I did well to make it through my daughters softball games sitting in the sun. I almost always get a migraine after sun expsure. It bites big time. but I don't think anyone really casn explain it or knows a cure. sorry I'm so long winded once I get started i can't shut up!
    Shelle
  5. JP

JP New Member

I have begun to have similar symptoms here in warm California. I run fevers a lot and this new ice thing has me in a stupor...I am usually hot and red. When I am not runing a fever, my body temp runs about 96.4 and I still feel warm. I have no answers and I can join you in the freeze.

If you learn anything new...pass it on. I will do the same.
    Jan
  6. susabar

susabar New Member

Icy Hot was put on my skin, that strong smelling wintergreenish muscle rub !!! Someone hit it on the head when they said running your freezing hands under warm water. There are times i can't even tell whether i am feeling hot or cold !!
    I sometimes get a "prickly" feeling on my face, or just on the end of my nose. Once as i was falling asleep, it felt as though a ball of electicity was thrown really hard at my face. It made me sit straight up in bed. I haven't told anyone that for fear they would think I was nuts !!
    Thanks Sue
  7. selma

selma New Member

Same here All yr. Love selma
  8. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

No, I haven't asked you the question before -- I've only just developed this symptom. But thanks for answering anyway. And your curious doctor story made me laugh -- we really are scientific conundrums to the medical profession aren't we! :)

And yes, DebraBee, I'm very aware that the sensations I'm experiencing can signify early MS, and in truth, I'm beginning to suspect that my illness is more closely resembling MS than FM (tingling, weakness, blurry vision, bladder, etc) Only thing is, I'm plagued by joint pain and I love hot baths, neither of which are typical of MS. And I read on this board about so many people who have these odd neuro sensations who have been tested over and over for MS and still are dx'd only with Fibro. So that's what I'm hoping right now.

Thanks again to all for responding.
    --Marcus

[This Message was Edited on 12/13/2002]