I learned my lesson - the hard way!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kat_in_Texas, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

I have read on this board time and time again about the bad effects of sugar on this DD. Did I cut out sugar???? Heck no. DUH! Even though I have craved salty snacks more frequently of late, I still am a sugar-holic. Love it love it love it.

Well hubby left yesterday morning for a weekend golf outing with his buddies and I was so looking forward to two days of being alone, doing whatever I want whenever I want. All day yesterday I was totally lazy which is rare for me. I laid on the couch watching television and snacking all day long on yep, you guessed it ... SUGAR! (Among other things, I ate a dozen Krispy Kreme donut holes, and if you have KK in your area, you KNOW their donuts are solid sugar!)

It felt so good to do what I wanted to do without DH around to nag at me. I enjoyed it immensely. And while I did feel guilty about the excessive eating because I need to lose weight, I didn't think much else about my massive sugar intake until early evening. By then I swear I couldn't move!!!! I hurt worse than I have in months. Every part of my body hurt like crazy, and my feet and hands were burning. It was so awful.

This morning, after 11 hours of sleep, I feel slightly better but I still ache everywhere and have a "sugar hangover" feeling. As usual, I came on here to check the boards and was reading a post about cutting back on sugar to help the pain. Now mind you, I have read this MANY times but I always thought "oh that doesn't apply to me" ... DUH!!!!!! .... well guess what, it sure as heck does.

I don't know why I ignored this info before. Denial maybe? I thought back to the summer of 2003 when I felt relatively good, and realized that a big factor in my feeling good then was because I was carefully watching my diet and losing weight, hence little or no sugar at all. Again, DUH!!! :)

I don't know why I'm posting this because I'm sure you are all thinking, "We know this, where have you been?!?" but I just wanted to share my "revelation." There really IS something to this sugar theory after all, at least for me as I know it is for many others.

Darn it. How I do love the stuff. BUT ... I am going to be very careful about it now. (again, DARN!)

-from a very SLOW LEARNER,
    Kat

P.S. Please forgive me if this sounds rambling and garbled, I'm sure it doesn't make sense because the FOG is overwhelming as well. Another good reason to stop eating sugar! (Darn) Just wish there was a good quick way to get yesterday's massive dose out of my system NOW!!!!! :)
  2. Empower

Empower New Member

Same here

I am a sugar fanatic. I would rather eat sugar than eat a meal of meat and potatoes

We have tons of leftover Halloween Candy and have been munchy on that. WHY? Because I am depressed and it soothes me.

My husband also bought ice cream, which I never buy, becuase I am too weak to let it sit in the fridge

I have been in SUCH PAIN the last couple of weeks. I think it is because of all the sugar!

I have a really hard time giving it up, but I am going to try really hard!
  3. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

... as incredible as this sounds .. even just reading about trying to stay away from sugar ... makes me want it more .. right now I'm thinking of those gingerbread men cookies and icing upstairs ... I'm in the family room and if my arms were long enough to reach the cupboards in the kitchen ... I'd be smacking on them right now .. this is REALLY hard.
    Especially with the holidays coming up ... seems like Halloween to Easter is the CRUNCH period to get through .. BIG SIGH !
    Fudge : ) ... "who would do just about anything for some right now !!!" hahaha
  4. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

.... well ... those gingerbread men clothed in icing ... WON ...................................... BURP !
    sigh
    I wish we could all get off the sugar train permanently !
    Fudge and fudge some more : )
  5. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

I was kicking myself all morning for being so stupid about the sugar-fest I had yesterday. Not that it's all that unusual, mind you, just that it took a day of super binging to put me in so darn much pain to learn my lesson! I've felt quite a bit better today, not close to feeling good yet but better.

I'm glad to know that others "fall off the wagon" at times, too. I'm sure I won't give up sugar all together, but I am going to try to watch it and see how my body reacts.

Have a good week everyone! I'm trying to mentally gear up for the work week ahead, but I just hate Sunday evenings because I know that Monday the hard part starts all over again. I really wish we could afford for me to stop working or at least take a leave of absence for a while.

Sigh. Such is life.

(((hugs!)))
    Kat
  6. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

Nuh uh.

I may be allergic to anything and everything... BUT!

I found a loop hole.

On days (like the past few days) when I'm starting a new medication; I tend to be very sick. The everything up and out kind of sick.

If I drink water, it doesn't stay. Soooo... seeing as I normally can't have anything but bread and pasta I decided to treat myself.

I've been eating ice cream and cookies all weekend!! Afterall, with things coming up - it doesn't stay down long enough for me to really have a reaction to it.

It's going to be REALLY disappointing when I adjust to my meds. I haven't always been allergic to foods - so I always have that sweet tooth nagging at me!

Sadly enough, it's the sugar sweets that I can get away with eating when I'm sick! Fruits and vegetables (put me into anaphylactic shock) are still a no no!

If I could take your mass sugar dose off your hands, I'd be more then happy! Very.. pathetically.. happy.. ;)

~Amanda
  7. abbylee

abbylee New Member

And I eat my share of sugar - though it's mostly in my coffee and tea and chewy sweet tarts. Have you tried those?

I never cared too much for the original STs but the chewy ones are pretty good.

abbylee
  8. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

abbylee .... you just had to tell me there is something else out there I might want to try ... didn't you ! .. chewy sweet tarts ... sigh .................... haha
    Fudge in morning fog .....................
    PS ... by some miracle I don't put sugar in my coffee, phew !
  9. elastigirl

elastigirl New Member

I never craved sweets like I do now that I'm on Elavil. I had a No Bake cookie recipe that was calling me from the kitchen, begging me to make a batch.

So I bought some Sugar in the Raw. The good news is that eating one or two cookies made with Sugar in the Raw doesn't seem to give me a sugar buzz. The bad news is that if I eat six, I do start to get buzzed.

I've started buying "Back to Nature," brand cookies because they use raw sugar in their recipes. I can satisfy my sweet tooth without getting shaky and having a flare. (As long as I limit myself.)

I'm finding that I can eat granola bars sweetened with brown rice syrup, too. However, give me one mini-size mass-market candy bar, and I'm soaring. I can't always resist, but I try.

Kat, I'm really sorry to hear about your sugar reaction. That bites. Well, I hope your feeling a little better now that some more time has passed :). Sweets are sooo hard to resist :)! Everyone falls off the wagon sometime.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/14/2005]
  10. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

Here it is Monday at noon, and I'm still hurting like crazy and feeling like I've been run over. I ate good yesterday and felt a little bit better, but of course I had the opportunity to stay in my sweats and on the couch all day. This morning I might as well have called in DEAD... I can't think straight at all, and the room is spinning. I feel so bad and so out of it that it's misery to try to work, I just want to go home and sleep this off. But of course, as is probably common among us FM'ers, I've used up all my sick leave AND vacation for the year dealing with this DD. Ugh. This is the absolute pits. I can honestly say this is one of the worst days I've had, FM-wise, here at work.

With the way I'm feeling today, I'm wondering if I might have been crashing head first into a major flare on Saturday anyway, even without the sugar??? Who knows? I'm still going to try to limit my sweets, heaven knows I need to lose weight anyway and I'm sure the sugar made the flare worse. Just wish I could absolutely pinpoint the cause of this flare.

This DD is so frustrating.

Hugs to all. Hope you're having a better day than I am!!!

Kat :)
    [This Message was Edited on 11/14/2005]