I learned something new today

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dee50, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I just when to my doctor and got a B-12 shot. The helper asked me where I wanted it so I give him my upper arm by my shoulder. I didn't feel him poke me but about 5 min. after the shot my muscle knotted up--wow--next time think I'll go for the fanny!
    My doctor wrote me up a prescription so I can give them to myself.
    Live and learn.LOL
    Dee50
  2. vickiw

vickiw Member

Dee,

I gave the shots to myself and did it in the upper thigh. Squeeze the flesh between your fingers and shoot away. Sometimes it would leave a bruise, sometimes not. Only once or twice did it knot up. I was getting 2 shots/week.

I need to get my script refilled. The B12 seems to have helped a little.

Vicki
  3. kac1960

kac1960 New Member

I am not familiar with the B-12 shots what are they supposed to do ?

Thanks Kathy
  4. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Nancy I will go for the fanny next time! WOW-OUCH

Vicki I don't think I can shoot myself but if I do I'll go for my thigh. I'm learning to be brave. I'm thinking about having my husband give it to me. Guess I bet be real nice to him.lol

Kathy I'm using B-12 to help fight the extreme fatigue and help build up my red blood cells. About 1 a month as I've aready had 3 weeks of Meyer's cocktails by iv. But they cost $125 each. B-12 are alot cheaper. It's a money thing :) You can is my bio for information on Meyer's cocktails or hit the search at the top of the forum.
    Thanks ladies for the posts.
    Dee50
    [This Message was Edited on 09/27/2005]
  5. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I'm useing the fanny icon-good idea.
    I'm glad I made you laugh today.
    By the way my arm is happy again the knot is gone. lol
    WOW energy I had forgot what it felt like. We'll see how long it lasts.
    Dee50
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

I can't remember if I have already read the answer or not!!! But .... have the shots helped you? How often are you taking them?

It's easier to give yourself shots than to give them to someone else!!! I know I tried to give my kids, when they were young, their allergy shots, and I just couldn't do it!!! I would give them their shot and then cry!!! I knew I was hurting them (but I really wasn't)! So ... we ended up going back to the doc's office each week for their shots.

When I became a diabetic and had to start on insulin, I thought there would be no way on earth that I could give myself a shot! Boy, was I wrong! It was soooooo much easier than what I had remembered when I had to give the kids a shot. It's practically pain-free with the tiny needles used.

I always give my shots in my belly. Unfortunately, there is a lot of skin there to use! I can give them in my belly, thighs, or arms, but I like the belly the best.

I think the belly is recommended on absorbing the insulin the best -- so there MAY BE one location better than the other for the absorption of the B-12, too. I would ask the doc!

Take care,
    Janet
  7. kac1960

kac1960 New Member

Thanks for the info.

Kathy
  8. mejlee

mejlee New Member

I have the "knot" problem also. So when I had to start giving myself bloodthinner injections, I asked the nurse that was teaching me how to do them about it. She said that the knots happen when the meds are injected to quickly. Sure enough... I injected my med. slowly and never had a knot again. After that, every time a nurse had to give me a shot I would ask they inject it slow and had no problems. Of course once in a while I'll run into a nurse that doesn't believe me, they push it in fast and I will get a knot. Hope this helps! I would hate for you to get a knot on your fanny!
  9. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I want you ladies to know I've come a long ways with shots. I'm an Army brat and I used to pass out, awake up and up-chuck on everyone at shot time so many shots like when we went overseas.lol My folk finaly stopped feeding me before shot time by I still got realy sick.

jlh, Brave lady to even try to give the kids allergy shots. One thing about the needles for this stuff is they are long and scary looking! Think if I get tired enough I want care.

Kathy, you are welcome.

Mejlee,slower makes sense! Don't want knots in
    my fanny.lol

Thanks for all the help with my silly little shot post. At least I've got a month to think about it. I do know a couple of nurses that can help me if I chicken out.
    Dee50