I lie at work about using my FMLA

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ST1978, Mar 21, 2007.

1. ST1978

ST1978 New Member

I am on FMLA at work for migraines. Sometimes I call in with a migraine...when in reality...I'm too tired to get out of bed. I always feel like if I could just get a few more hours sleep that I will feel better. I don't talk about fibro at work. I'm afraid people won't understand. I listen to comments about other people who do have it.

I feel like I just went to a confessional.
  2. LadyC

LadyC New Member

I have intermittent FMLA for my fibromyalgia so I don't have to lie about why I'm taking off. This information is only given to management anyway. However, when it comes to anyone else I do try to think of other things to say. Sometimes I say I have chronic pain. Sometimes I might just say my arm is hurting or whatever might be hurting most at that time. I get tired or explaining or hearing some silly remark...or told how I don't look like anything is wrong. Only my immediate family and very close friends know what the actual diagnosis is. Even they can be insensitive sometimes.
  3. jakeg

jakeg New Member

While I was still at work I told anybody that asked that it was fibro of course it always led to questions about it but people need to be informed about this illness.

Yes some people didn't believe in it but that's their ignorance not mine.

When my doctors told me no more work and I turned in the paperwork to my boss and HR, some who didn't believe actually apologized after researching it a little more and realizing that what I told them did match the symptoms for fibro.

Some people maybe ignorant but some are that way because of lack of knowledge.
  4. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I've never missed a day of work because of FM (wink, wink)!

I have migraines or the flu or something like that. Of course it's not anything except my FM, but they don't need to know that.

They gave me such a hard time about being off for about 19 hours over a two week period (migraine and then Effexor withdrawal) that I told me DH that I will be at work if he has to drive me here and carry me into my chair!

Hope things get better for you. It's no fun to have to hide the truth, but sometimes it's the only thing that works.

Hugzz
    Greenbean

5. llama

llama New Member

I've been unable to work for the last 2+ years. Before that I had been able to work p/t, however still needed to have a FMLA (renewed each year).

My FMLA was for diabetes..my doc was a little hesitant about using the Fibro word. Many times I had to call off at work due to probably more Fibro related symptoms than Diabetes.

I don't like to intentionally lie...but the system kind of leaves you no choices. It was either utilize the FMLA or be fired for absenteeism.

Take Care............Jill.............
  6. jmq

jmq New Member

I guess everyone has different circumstances...I am very close to my supervisor...she even lives near me..so I decided to print out the info on FMS and tell her about it. She of course blamed it on stress management and told me to go to therapy. I was already depressed so she was not that far off on her advice. Then as I found each and every doctor..three to be exact that agreed that it was not totally stress and depression but the symptoms of FMS..she has slowly come around. Needless to say, not everyone at work believes that anything is wrong with me because I was able to hide it. BUT trust me, there will come a time when it will be too hard to hide with a day or two days off.

I think the more of us that show the face of FMS and CFS, the better it will be for doctors and researchers to recognize it too.

jmq

7. FOYBOYFOY

FOYBOYFOY New Member

i thought FMLA was only for ill family members not the person whom is sick. do you get paid ?? chow
  8. llama

llama New Member

Hi,

The FMLA is available if your company has over 50 employees. It's unpaid leave...they MAY make you use up any vacation, sick time, general PTO.

It can be used for the care of a significantly ill..immediate family member. It can also be used for your own serious medical problems.

It can be a continuous leave (up to 12 weeks per year) or an intermittent leave (this also pertains to either yourself or a family member). So if you have a lot of absenteeism due to medical treatments etc., they won't count it against you within the timeframe.

It can also be used, I believe for when adopting a child. It may be available for a few other situations that I'm not cognizant of.

I'm well-versed in FMLA's...had at different times..one for the care of each parent and had one for myself that my doctor renewed yearly until I was no longer able to work.

Hoped that helped.....take care...........Jill.........
  9. puddin827

puddin827 New Member

I took FMLA when I was working and I got partial pay. It's up to the company to pay you or not. I don't think alot of companies pay you for it though. That company was very good to me. I took off for 3 months at a time and got paid.