I lost my health insurance ... what now?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Engel, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Engel

Engel New Member

I am on LTD (been off work 2 years in Feb) and have had 2 denials on SSDI, so I am waiting on ALJ hearing (could be 12-18 more months). I am struggling financially on LTD pay, and my health insurance payment was recorded 1 day late (even though it was paid through the same bank). So they cancelled my insurance effective 10/31/2008 and I just found out! In the meantime I had RXs filled, DR visitis, bloodwork, cortisone shots, and xrays and now I will probably get hit with the FULL BILLS! As IF we people need more stress in our lives?????? I think I can get some help with RXs but what can I do about health care assistance? I am soooooo depressed. There is no way I can afford to pay $75 just to see my PCP let alone over $100 to see my Rheumy. I am hoping Rheumy offers sliding scale fee (based on income) since he is with a major Universiry Hospital.

Any suggestions? I am in Ohio.
  2. wanderingbluedragon

wanderingbluedragon New Member

I used to work for the county I lived in administering Cash Aid, Food Stamps, and Medicaid. I would apply for Medicaid at your nearest Social Services. Once it is approved it is effective for the month you applied in. You can also apply for retro-Medicaid in some states, this normally gives you Medicaid for up to 3 months prior to the month you applied and were approved in. This may help you greatly in your situation, of course you have to qualify for the assistance. This is generally determined by your income, whether you are disabled or not or waiting for disability appeals, and if you have children, etc. It's an option anyway. I have been without insurance for 6 months now, since I left my job and because of my husband's income, I don't qualify. It is no fun to have these problems, but worse to not have any medical help.

I hope this helps you.

3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Was it 'recorded' late in error? or was did you pay it one day late? I'd certainly raise a stink about that. Gosh insurance companies just kill me. One day and they cancel you - that's just amazing - I mean what if you were in the hospital - stuck in an airport somewhere - anything!

I wish I could offer suggestions - looks like the others had some good advice!
    I wish you the best! I'm sorry you're having to deal with this.
  4. Smurfette17

Smurfette17 New Member

I don't have any advice, but I just wanted to offer my sympathy. It really sucks how people with chronic illnesses lose their insurance when we need it so much. I will be sending posiitve vibes your way.
  5. Engel

Engel New Member

Thank you all sooooooooo much. ((((( hugs ))))) I will check this link out for sure!

Yes, it is cancelled and NO REINSTATEMENT! Unbelievable! I called and talked to them.