I Lost my job Today

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jakeg, Dec 19, 2005.

1. jakeg

jakeg New Member

Well today the HR manager called me to let me know that they were putting me on the inactive list at work so that they could hire a replacement for my position. (I've been out for 6 months) They said that if I do get better and am able to return to work if the position is still open that it would be mine if not that I would remain on the inactive list(fired)I've been fighting with the disabilty company from work trying to obtain bennefits due me to no avail. They have told my employer that there is no reason that I cannot work at my job (Systems Administrator, requires a person that can multitask have clear memory and be able to carry items weighing up 100lbs. Not to mention all of the documentation that needs to be done. I'm in severe pain just typing this how could I handle typing documentation? Brain fog so bad at times making a list doesn't help I forget the list.), they say that I don't meet the clinical diagnosis for FM. But I do and am trying to find a doc to document this for me. My current rhuemy refuses to do so saying that the tender points were only ment for testing purposes during a study to see who would be eligible for the study and that there are no stead fast rules for diagnosing FM. The ins. co is the Standard. I suppose there's nothing I can do about this what's your opinion?
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Jakeg:
    I would not worry about it too much. If you can not do the job: then you just can not do it and have to take avenues to feeling better. I would just concentrate on my health....as it seems you have done. Why not be proud that you had the guts to say 'No more'. That is what I did and things worked out ok. Rest up and see if you can get a few doctors: good ones!
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  3. sues1

sues1 New Member

I would not worry about it and I would get a new Dr. that supports you better.
    Good Luck with all........
  4. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

First of all,I'm sorry that you lost your job. That feels really awful; it's like part of you is gone no matter what the positives are in the end.

I agree, though, that the best thing is to focus on your health right now. You have the time and perhpas you can find a new Doctor who can be more helpful.

If you still feel that fighting for Disability is what you want to do, I would suggest looking for a lawyer who specializes in disability cases.

Good Luck
    Kathy.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/19/2005]
  5. sdown

sdown New Member

I worked for an oil and gas company for 10 years. The first 6 months I was on a paid short term disability leave. Then for 3 months I was paid by the insurance company. After the 3 months decision making process they declined my claim. Six months later I got a lawyer and I sued the idiots. I received a 1 year salary. It was worth it. I only had to pay my lawyer once the settlement was resolved which took 1 year. This by the way was in Alberta, Canada. So depending where you are you might want to check out the rules. In Alberta I had 1 year to sue the insurance company. I also received a 1 year salary package from the oil and gas company. You might want to phone Personnel and ask if you can get a package. I obtained by the way a lawyer who specialized in disability claims for those with CFS and FM. Good luck to you!
  6. roseylisa

roseylisa New Member

I went to four drs before I was diagnosed, I was treated like I was just after pain meds this was at a drs office I had went to for 17 years of course the person I was seeing was a PA that hadnt been there long, I cried the pain got so bad I didnt know what was wrong with me, I kept calling into work not even knowing whar to say except pain they thougt I just didn't wamt to work I would give anything to have my life back even that job at walmart,I of course ended up having to quit, my short term disability was turned down even though my dr said I couldn't work.
    I did finally find a dr that has helped me.So don't give up!
  7. jakeg

jakeg New Member

Just to let everybody know that I have no intension of giving up the fight agaist work I'm not that type of person. I had to work hard to get where I was. I originally was a roofer then started my own bussiness which I operated for 11 years and then had to close up shop for health reasons. I went back to school for computers and worked my way back up the ladder into managment at my previous job not the 1 mentioned here. Ran into health problems again and decided that being a manager was what caused the problem moved to the company mentioned above just as a systems admin. I do intend on searching for the right doc for me. One who cares and knows what FM is and how it affects the lifes of those that have it.

Thanks all for the support.

Jake