I love dogs and would love advice on a breed to get

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by EricaCFIDS, Jan 16, 2008.

1. EricaCFIDS

EricaCFIDS New Member

We currently have Wesley a purebred black lab (see my profile pic), and we call him our "first child". We got him as a puppy and had to make sure we were up for parenting! We were, and later had two kids. My son is 6 and LOVES LOVES LOVES dogs. I mean LOOOOOOOOVES them!!! He's like a Dr. Doolittle with them. ( : My daughter loves OUR dog, but isn't as into the snuggling as he is.

Wesley is almost 12 and a definite senior, although he still chases squirrels and lives a charmed life. He's spoiled in the good sense. He's allowed everywhere, in and out and has 3 acres to roam (fenced). He is older, so doesn't always want my sons intense loving. My son gets sad when he gets up and walks away. I am used to bigger dogs, but with all of my health issues, I think a smaller one would be great. I really want an affectionate dog who reciprocates love, especially for my son. ( : I also want a breed that would go well with a senior dog. Preferably one that doesn't bark too much or too loudly. I can't handle too much noise. Pure breed or mixed, it doesn't matter. Puppy or possible rescue too, either way.

I am a big animal lover and can't seem to stop looking for another dog to get! Please give me your suggestions on a breed of dog and why you like it so much.

[This Message was Edited on 01/23/2008]
  2. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I think alot has to do with the personality of each individual dog. Some breeds are known for being a bit hyper (e.g. jack russel terrier), but I really think it comes down to the quirks of each individual dog.

I think I'd get a dog about a year old so you don't have to put up with the puppy getting potty trained, teething on your furniture, yipping all night because he/she misses its Mother, etc.

If you get a rescue. I'd definitely take your senior along after you find a dog that you may be interested in.

I'd put the two of them in a room and see how they interact. You really can't tell the personality of a dog at a shelter by just looking at it through the gate. You should take the dog for a walk and see how he/she behaves.

I gravitate toward minature schnauzers. They are mischievous and require lots of exercise. If they don't get their exercise and attention, they will make sure you regret it. Rudy is my third minature schnauzer. All of the schnauzers I've owned are really so completely different from each other.

I'd probably narrow the choices down to 2 or 3 dogs and then take your senior citizen doggie down there. I'd probably let your elderly dog make the final decision which one to bring home.
  3. cmmachin

cmmachin New Member

....are rescued dogs of any breed and size. Many have been so mistreated but still want to love and be loved that they are the most grateful and best pets ever.

Try going to you local ASPCA or go online if travel is just too much that day. Or call your local dog pound. Look online for dog rescue agencies in your area or state, some of them will even travel to you if you find a dog on their site you like.

I have resuced many an animal of all species in my time and either found them loving suitable homes or have kept them with me until their final breath always loved and they were and are the best. I have had purebreds that were wonderful also.

I hope this helps a little.

God Bless

[This Message was Edited on 01/16/2008]
  4. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

I absolutly love my Bull Mastiff, (pic in profile) he is a gentle giant, very easy to train, he is a lazy dog which works out perfect with me being sick. He is also great with children.

I would suggest no matter what type of dog you choose do some research on the breed to make sure that it suits you and your family's personality.

Good luck on your search,
  5. I would love a small dog , a maltese or shitzu dog, but can't afford one. My sister had one named Molly but he had to be put to sleep. Sad. I loved that puppy.
  6. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I clicked on your user name to see if you have FM. Personally, I wouldn't get a big dog if you have FM because they could inadvertently pull you over while walking him/her.

My 18 pound minature schnauzer pulled me off of my electric mobility scooter when he saw a cat and charged after it. I think there would be less chance of getting hurt by a little small doggie.
    Yes, all dogs can be taught to walk loose-leash. But what happens if you have an 80 pound dog take off after a cat while you are walking him on a leash?

I don't want to see you get hurt.
  7. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

If you're looking for a well bred Maltese, I have an idea for you.

Most top of the line Maltese show breeders do occasionaly retire their females after a few years. They've already done their job in the ring and had a litter or two of puppies.

The cost of a retired dog is significantly lower that a pup but the health is the same.

Years ago, I accidentally bought a puppy mill Maltese from a supposedly good breeder. Big Mistake, but I re-homed her with an excellent empty nest couple.

After that mistake, I swore I wouldn't do that again so I got the Malt I have now from one of the top breeders in the country. We're in the process of getting another pup from her now.

I paid dearly for my dog, and she's worth it. No health issues...much cheaper in the long run.

Now I'm facing the same thing, but I don't have the patience to wait for a retired dog so I'm getting another pup.

If you look hard enough, you too can find a top breeder with a retired dog available, or find a top breeder you like, start a relationship with them by writing an e-mail with your story, then wait until a retired dog becomes available.

8. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Erica, I agree with the people who recommend rescuing an adult dog - not necessarily a senior since you have one of those, but not a puppy. As fpr size, it's more about the dog's personality than the breed but an adult will be more mellow unless it's just a hyper dog.

Go to petfinder dot com and type in your zip code for an idea of dogs needing a new forever home.

If your shelter is like ours, they often foster the dogs to keep them socialized and their foster family can tell you a lot about him or her. Dogs with behaviorial problems have been weeded out and are not adopted to families with special issues like we have (pain and fatigue).

As has been suggested, allow yourself to spend time with the dog at the shelter, walking it and sitting quietly away from the general noise. Definitely let your son have supervised time with the dog you're considering before you make your final decision. They'll either bond or they won't. You'll be able to tell.

You might call ahead to ask if you're allowed to bring your sweet old dog with you for a brief meeting. If you do this, let a volunteer lead the new leashed dog while you lead your current pet. No need to encourage jealousy problems and your old dog might be a bit resentful of a new one for awhile. The volunteers can give you advice about all this.

If you do adopt a dog that's been taken to a shelter, remember that the dog may be mourning their people. Dogs are more willing than cats to switch allegiences but they still are confused. What did they DO to be given away??? They will need a lot of love and reassurance which it sounds like they would get in your family.

Adopted dogs sound like more work but they really aren't when you consider the ENERGY and training needed by puppies. And they are soooo very grateful for their good new home that they'll usually work very hard to please you.

Sorry to ramble on but I volunteer at our local shelter. I spend more time with the cats because my energy level won't allow me to walk the dogs. Still, I love them. I fell in love with a boxer dog last week........ :>( Can't have a dog.

Best of luck with your selection. Let us know what you end up doing, OK?

9. EricaCFIDS

EricaCFIDS New Member

This is a subject I really enjoy. Honestly, I am on petfinder.com regularly! I feel like a pet failure though. When I was a kid, we just got pets and they all seemed to work out. For me, it seems so much harder.

Wesley (our older lab) has been a dream. He's not perfect, but close. He was a fairly easy puppy, has had zero health issues, does great inside and he's mellow for a lab. He's also a great watchdog.

So, since Wesley we have tried the following:

A yellow lab puppy (I was 5 months pregnant with my son and couldn't wait for my baby - actually my poor husband came out with a lab shirt on in the morning, and that was it! We were getting a puppy, THAT day!) Okay, he was calm and sweet when we brought him home and then a few weeks later he woke up! He was a wild chewing machine!! He chewed the kids toys and stuffed animals, I would let him out of his crate in the morning and before he made it to the door he would chew the legs on our dining room table. He wrestled with Wesley all day everyday until Wesley looked like a honed athlete. At the end of my pregnancy, he would jump up on my tight pregnant belly with his paws and nails and it hurt! Then my son was born and it was chaos. Long story short, my husband's cousin adopted him (they have middle/high school aged kids) and now he is the center of their life and spoiled rotten.

Next, we got a Corgi puppy (very expensive, long drive). I got the idea for the breed from my Dad, and I should have researched it more. We brought her home and on the first day she "herded" my daughter and drew blood on her arm. My kids were afraid of her and her bark sent me through the roof. We had to return her.

Next, we got an mini Aussie. Awesome dog, but he sooooooooo needed a job!!! Oh my gosh! This dog was a combo of Jerry Rice and Pele! He was bored stiff and I felt guilty everytime I looked at him. I could barely keep up with my kids. My dad and his wife adopted him. They live on 5 acres near the beach in Oregon. She is dog trainer, does agility competitions and he is a few weeks away from being a registered Search and Rescue dog. They have 4 other dogs, 3 cats, 4 horses and 2 goats. He's in dog heaven with them.

Then we tried rescuing an older black flat coat retriever (black golden retriever - if that makes sense). The woman at the rescue shelter left out the part that he had endured terrible neglect and didn't handle change well at all. He was traumatized all night his first night. It was terrible, and emotionally hard for all of us. Obviously this dog needed to be with someone who could focus solely on him and give him the time and special attention he needed. She really shouldn't have placed him with us.

Okay, then the last attempt was at rescuing another lab. We were going for mellow and wanted a lab that was of the English line like Wesley (smaller and mellower). We ended up getting talked into 2 brothers (litter mates) that were 2 years old. We drove 4 hours each way (in one day) to go get these boys. They were beautiful and extremely mellow. So mellow because they were incredibly out of shape. They had been left alone together for 18 hours a day their whole life and never had any exercise. They couldn't even load up in my car! This seemed positive at the time, but really wasn't. Well, Wesley kept trying to be dominant over them and this went on forever. Wesley weighs about 70 pounds and these boys each weighed almost 100 pounds. They were also so bonded to each other that they ended up teaming up on him. That wasn't going to work. So, back they went.

Sorry for the long explanation, but I feel like such a failure with this!! My poor kids too! My husband thinks we've really tried and the kids are fine (they actually agreed with each failure), it just hasn't worked out. That's why I asked what breed and for suggestions. I just don't know if I should keep trying. After the last deal, my husband made me promise I would "delete" all of my favorites on my computer for pet sites!!! I did, but I'm still looking!! We are such a great family and have such a great property for a dog. I think dogs are great. I worry about some rescues too (as does my husband) because you don't know the history and if they could be aggressive at all. When you have kids, it's something to consider.

I would love to consider a dog that is a few years old and maybe a smaller breed. I think Wesley may not have that many years left, even though he's doing great now, and my kids will be devastated when that day comes (I will too!). I think having a second dog before then would greatly help.

Thank you for your input and for listening! I'd love any and all suggestions. ( :

All the best,
    [This Message was Edited on 01/22/2008]
  10. EricaCFIDS

EricaCFIDS New Member

Are they good with kids as far as you know? Are they big barkers? How might they do with an older senior lab? I am familiar with the first, but not Maltese. I'll have to look that breed up.

Thank you!

( : Erica
  11. kylob

kylob New Member

Hi Erica,
    We have a 7yr old bichon, female...she is the sweetest dog...she is smart and is wonderful company...this breed is non allergic and easy to train...
    When she was a puppy, we kept her crate upstairs at night...one night she was thirsty and I used a bathroom cup to give her water...from that moment on, she would only drink from a cup. We were at my cousins house on New Years, and Bailey came with us because they love her....anyways, my cousin asked why Bailey was sitting in the bathroom...I went in to check and she wanted a drink!!!Gave her a cup of water and she was good to go....if she has to go out, she sits quietly by the back door....I know everyone thinks their dog is the best, but take a look at a bichon....Good luck....Kylob
  12. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

It took us many years to find the dog that was just right for us and the main factor is the breed.

What type are you looking for? Are you looking for a lapdog? Then find a breed that was bred just for that.

The problems come when you expect a dog to act a certain way, yet they were bred to do a certain job.

Herding dogs will herd yet can be wonderful pets for the right active family. Some need to be 'only' dogs in the family.

Large dogs need plenty of room to play and may need long walks to get their exercise. Smaller breeds can get their exercise in your home with a ball and a buddy.

If I'm not mistaken, sites like 'petfinders' also have breed finders that help you decide which breed is best for you.

Good luck and let us know how this goes...

13. EricaCFIDS

EricaCFIDS New Member

but the traits I like are:

active but not hyper
    affectionate but not glued to you ( :
    independent but not willful
    makes eye contact with you - I love that! ( :
    soft and huggable
    likes other dogs, but not too rough
    loves kids and to receive LOTS of affection
    smart but doesn't try to run the house
    loves indoors and outdoors
    easy to housetrain
    likes to travel
    easy to train basic commands
    sheds less than a lab ( :
    not a lot of poor health traits
    reasonable lifespan (10+ years at least)
    can be left alone for a few hours at a time
    never aggressive, but protective - good watchdog
    can load up in a large SUV (or be lifted)
    not a working dog that needs a job or lots of training
    not a dog that needs lots of grooming
    preferbly medium to smaller dog
    wants a busy fun family around ( :

That probably covers it!

I looked up wheatens and they looked neat. I've heard of bichon frise and they seem neat too. Thank you for your input each of you. It's great! I will let you know if we get one!

All the best,
  14. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

i have met many bichon frise dogs - and fell in love with them!!! i know there are bichon rescue groups/websites.

another possibility- american eskimo dog. (if not familiar w the breed just look it up) i got one a few months ago at my local pound. i had never even heard of this breed. well it turns out, its an awesome breed and he is a great dog. hes medium size, 28lbs, and soooo soft, cuddley, and lovable.

Hannafaid (on here, mostly on fibro board) has one also! she even has a photo of it in her profile.

there are definately rescue groups for this kind of dog!! why anyone would give one of these up, is a mystery!

also- my american eskimo dog- he looks like a big shedder, and hard to groom-- but he doesnt shed too much, and he is easy to groom!

goodluck, fellow dog lover!!!!!!!!!!
  15. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I recently adopted a male Chihuahua from the shelter. He is the sweetest dog I've ever had. This guy is about 7 and is so smart and obedient. He just loves to cuddle.

He will carefully crawl up on your chest and put his head on your shoulder like a magnet. Sooooo sweet.

When we first got him he was just skin and bones and has now gained 3 lbs. He is beautiful - white with some tan and nice brown eyes.

You might consider looking at the local shelter , older dogs are often well behaved and so grateful for being resuced.
  16. EricaCFIDS

EricaCFIDS New Member

I could talk about them all day! I wish I could have a bunch, but my health problems have really made me hesitate on all the choices I make. I have to be realistic and fair to the dog. ( :

Snog - Wow, a "mop dog"? I've not heard of that and will have to look it up! Standard poodles are extremely bright. My girlfriend is getting a "schnoodle" (half standard poodle and half giant schnauser). It's a puppy and being shipped from somewhere across the country. I just can't do that, nor do I want a puppy. I'd rather rescue some awesome grown dog!

bigmama2 - Thanks for the ideas and encouragement!! ( : I will look up rescue groups for both breeds and do my research. I didn't realize that American Eskimo dogs were that small. That sounds like a perfect size. I guess I thought they were more smaller lab sized. I will check out the picture on Hannafaid's profile too. (I just LOVE your profile picture!! ha ha)

PVlady - my kids would go NUTS over a chihuahua!! My daughter is constantly asking anyone she knows if they know how to spell it. She says she's going to get one when she grows up. Are they really delicate though? What if my older lab was rolling around on the carpet in pure happiness and rolled on one by accident?? Would it be okay? Are they pretty agile? Do they bark a lot? Can they be left alone some? I have just zero experience with a dog that size. Although my Dad has 5 dogs, and one is a rescue (half chihuahua/half pomeranian) and you wouldn't believe how these two are together. It's kind of embarrassing almost. They are completely bonded. And "Mouse" (this dog's name) has serious "little man" syndrome and does a low throaty growl if any of the other dogs come around my dad. He also steals the other dogs toys when they go outside to play!! It's hilarious! I will look into those more too, but I need to know how delicate they are first. Thanks!

Off to rescue sites!!! ha ha ( :

All the best,
  17. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

Hi Erica

I have 2 shar-pei's and they are the love and light of my life! I love them SOOOO much and they are only a source of joy. They are active but not hyper and loves their family. They actually like people more than they like other dogs, they are very intelligent, trains easily, and I will never buy another breed again.
    I think it will be worth your while to research this breed, let us know what you decide!

Phoebe x