Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by budmickl, Jun 8, 2007.

1. budmickl

budmickl New Member

The little shih tzu peed on the bed. What should I do with the down conforter? Try to wash it even though it says dry clean only? Send it to the clears for $40? Toss it and buy a new one? Gesh, I can't beleive a dog that little can have that much pee in them!

[This Message was Edited on 06/08/2007]
  2. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I washed my down comforter once with woolite. I used no fabric softener. I put a couple tennis balls in the dryer with it. Mine turned out fine.

I don't know what the outer fabric is on your comforter.

I know there are different grades of down, I don't know if that makes a difference.

Does your doggie have a bladder infection? The other thing that comes to mind is that your doggie is trying to assert it's ALPHA position in your household.

I would be so rattled if my son's dog peed on my bed. Animals do the darndest things.
  3. budmickl

budmickl New Member

He is mad at me and rightly so, I seem to spend almost all my waking time on the ocmputer and don't pay attention to him or Mick. Mick is the old dog that is deaf, blind and full or arthritis so he isn't any trouble. Sam is 2 yrs old and so much a puppy. And I ignore them both anymore. Darn depression makes it hard for me to care about anything.

I think I'll wash it. What have I got to lose? It's a cheap comforter and probably didn't cost much more than the cleaning bill would be.

How are you feeling Joyfully? Hope you are taking it easy, it's only been 8 days since you were under the knife!

4. laceymae

laceymae New Member

just posted a thread about this last week.
    My little guy is really company for me, but he gets mad and hikes everywhere.

He is an 8 pound toy poodle and a really good watch dog, but I sure do wish he would stop this. i am going to have him neutured this month, so maybe that will help some.

5. budmickl

budmickl New Member

Thanks for responding. I did read your post about poodle puddles and am doing some of what was suggested in the thread.

Sam is 18 lbs so he isn't nearly as small as your poodle, but piddle is piddle, and it all causes the same problem.

I just remembered that I bought some stuff from the vet's that they use to eliminate the odor in their offices. I used it on the comforter, down topper, and my sofa which all have his markings. It doesn't remove the stain or anything, but removes the smell so they won't go back there.

I need to clean the carpet and use the deodorizer on it too.

So much love, so much piddle. Who knew?!!

6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

If you don't get the smell out with a good washing, the pup will do it again - and maybe even your older dog.

Hopefully it fits in your washer and dryer with a pair of washable and dryable sneakers. You may love the results so much that you'll alllllllmost be glad he did it.

And you're right about the attention. My cat is the same way if I spend too much time, in her opinion, on the computer. And you know, she's right! It's much healthier for us to play with them than sit and zone out.

7. budmickl

budmickl New Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

Sam is the young dog, Mick is the old, blind, deaf dog. They are both male and neutered. And they are the same size, around 20 lbs. Mick doesn't have any problems unless I don't get his signals and carry him outside fast enough. I have to carry him out because he can't see and he has arthritis so bad, he can hardly walk.

Sam, well, Sam knows exactly what he is doing. If I see him running and sliding under the bed or on his pillow, I know to go look for the wet spot.

I used some stuff that I got from the vet's office on the comforter and got the smell and stain out without washing it. I washed my old comforter all the time but my daughter sternly reminded me that I shouldn't wash it, even though the tag said it was ok, but not recommended. The new one has a tag that says dry clean only. But I will take it to the laundry mat if necessary.

Yep, all Sam is doing is telling me he needs me. He did real good for several months after he got used to being here after adoption. Then about 3 - 4 weeks ago, he got mad. And that's all there is!

So anyway, yesterday and this morning, I've beed off the computer for the most part and he has done pretty good.

Also, Mick and my other dog that I had, I could leave the back door open and they would come and go as needed. Sam is afraid of being locked out I guess. He won't even go out with me unless I pick him up and close the door behind us.

Dogs are like kids, love them all but they are all different personalities.

Thanks again!

8. budmickl

budmickl New Member

Sam is getting the best of me, I swear.

I have spent the last 3-4 days with him, making sure I pay attention and get him outside often. He goes to the bathroom and I think everything is good.

Today, I spend all day cleaning the carpets and the upholstry. Sam and I go out, he goes to the bath room. All is fine.

Except he had already pee'd again on the towels I put down on the damp carpet.
    I give up!

[This Message was Edited on 06/10/2007]
  9. kriket

kriket New Member

All chi's. We had to rip all of the carpet out of our house. It was old and needed to go anyway,but if they ever pee in a spot, good luck trying to break them. With carpet, it's hard to get that odor out where they can't smell it.

As you can see from my profile pic. this is what this one does when he KNOWS he is in trouble. He begs for forgiveness!!!

I know how you are feeling!!!

10. budmickl

budmickl New Member

When Sam goes in the house, he almost always runs into the bedroom and gets under the bed, with his little nose peeking out.

What is so frustrating is, I just put new carpet down last summer because I had decided I wasn't going to get another dog, and Mick was not a problem. Well, I went to the adoption site and now I have Sam.

I guess I'll just keep washing to comforters and bed toppers. And trying to catch him from going on the sofa. The carpet may have to come up. I know he is more important than the carpet. LOL!

Thanks everyone for your help!

11. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

You knew this was going to happen, here I go on another one of my dog tirades!

First of all, why is the dog on the bed? Of course he thinks that's his territory. You gave it to him! LOL

I know it is very difficult to leave your little fuzzy butts on the floor, but that is where they belong. At the very least until you have established that you are the alpha dog and the leader of the pack. If you want to be on the same level to play, get down on the floor. As the pack leader the junior pack members should never be allowed to come up to your level.

That raised platform you sleep on is for the pack leaders only. That puts you literally above him in the pack order and establishes your dominance. This is much easier when you have big dogs, but little dogs can be much more dominate (they really don't know they are little!) and harder to train. Partly because they are just so darned cute! We give in to their pitiful little faces and their great big eyes, etc.

It is not too late to establish the pecking order of your pack and you may have to continually prove you are the leader. Especially with small dogs. It's so easy to cave, they are so cute with those little faces and great big eyes, oops, there I went again!

Often when a dog is marking territory or misbaving in any other way it is because he is insecure and looking for his leader. If you aren't the leader than he feels he has to take charge and he may not be very comfortable with that role.

Hiding in the crate is another sign that he is insecure. The crate is his safe den. The one place he's probably never been in trouble in. Even my lab, who was not crate trained, will go into the crate on occasion, like in a thunder storm. She also considers our bedroom to be a den and will go to the bedroom when she is feeling insecure, like when Mom gets that horrible scary vacuum cleaner out!

When left alone he may feel he's been abandoned by his leader and just doesn't know what he's supposed to do. Just like a kid when nobody's looking and no one is setting the example he should follow, he can get into trouble. Some dogs will feel much more secure when closed into the crate or just a small room where they don't have to watch their back for that big mean cougar that might be just waiting for them to relax their guard while their pack leader is out.

Ok, I'll stop. I know a lot of you don't agree with my ideas about dog training, but if you read up on Cesar Milane's training methods you will see that he says establishing who the pack leader is is very important.

Hope I've not offended anyone, but you know how I get!!

Stop and smell the puppies!

12. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I am not offended at all!

Unfortunately, I am a pet owner who loves to sleep with the dogs. I never, ever thought of the bed as being a den and establishing dominance as you described it. It makes total sense.

Sam has never really be left alone for very long. Since I adopted him, I haven't worked so I am always home. His foster parents said he liked to be in his crate. I never believed in crates and didn't have one. He would get on the bottom shelf and lay. Since I put junk on the shelf, he lays under the corner of the bed.

I have since bought a crate and had it out for several weeks. I put a towel in there that I use so it had my scent on it. I put his toys in there. I never put him in there, and would never use it as punishment. Problem was, he never used it either. He wouldn't even go in to get his favoite toys.

Also, my other dog does nothing but sleep all day. He is old, old, deaf, blind and full of arthritis. He is no problem, other than having to carry him outside and inside and to his food and all that. Otherwise, he sleeps on his floor pillow or in my lap.

How do I fairly retrain Sam to not sleep with me? And to use the crate as a safe place for him?

I look at my dogs as my surragate kids, since they are grown and out of the house.

13. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Not even! They ARE my kids! (Just don't tell their unfuzzy siblings!!) When I talk to one or the other of my daughters I always say "how is my favorite daughter" (they're both my fav!) and they both respond with "I, don't know, how is Aster?"

Sounds like the old dog is not a problem. I'm assuming he is not in pain or you would have had him put down by now? It's hard for us to let go and since Aster (my 11 year old lab) has had cancer we have been watching her closely to make sure she is comfortable and still enjoying her life. So far so good! She's a little slower then she used to be, but doesn't seem to be in pain and still has a good appetite and attitude. Now if she could just get her Mom to stop vacuuming life would be perfect!!

I'd use a crate. Don't wait for him to go in, put him in. It can be hard at first, especially if he is used to being on the bed and not used to the crate. The first 4 or 5 nights will be the worst. Never take him out when he is complaining, take him out when he is quiet. It is really, really hard not to respond to that pathetic little voice, but you must be strong!

My crate is in our bedroom. We are the dogs pack and they need to be where we are. Even when I nap I take both dogs into the bedroom and we shut the door. Of course part of that is because I don't want them to bark at something (those darned cats!) when I am trying to sleep!

Do the two dogs like each other? Is the little one likely to be sleeping right next to the old dog? If so, put the old dog to sleep on his pillow right next to the crate. That will make your little guy feel like he is still with the pack and may help him to relax.

I'd use the crate when you have to be away, also. There's nothing like that little wiggling happy guy waiting for you to turn him loose on the world when you get home! And after he is used to it you may just find him there napping even with the door open. BTW, leave it open when he's not in it.

Rey, my golden, out grew his extra large crate (guess he's a XX dog) when he was about 18 months. I started leaving the door open and he would lay out full length with his butt and tail outside the door. Didn't look very comfy to me, but he did that for quite a while before he started sleeping with his head under the bed. Maybe he's part ostrich!

Not holding them in your lap when you are sitting on the couch or in a chair is really hard (well, not so hard with my two 80 lb dogs!!). Little dogs just really make us want to cuddle them! That is one of the things that makes it so much harder to establish dominance!

And I really shouldn't be singing my dogs praises when they are all over the motorhome with no off limit places (except they can't get up on the bed over the cab, it's too high). And if I am sitting in a lawn chair I either have Rey in my lap or sitting in his own chair! They are never on the furniture at home, even when we leave them inside all day. Rey won't even stretch up far enough to reach his ball when it ends up on the couch against the back. He will stretch as far as he can with his feet on the floor and then turn around and look at me for help. And Rey does sleep with me in the MH which is one of the reasons they think all the furniture in there is fair game.

If you can find one of Cesar's books I recommend it highly. Another suggestion would be to take a "puppy parenting" class. Most trainers give them for free or for about $10. This is a class that should be taken before you bring your pup home, but is still very helpful after you are past that point. My DH thought he knew all there was about training a puppy until we went through the class. As he likes to say "you don't know what you don't know".

It is very hard to change the way we treat our fuzzy kids but it can really make both of your lives happier. Insecurity is a major reason why so many people say their dog cannot be trained and either chain them out in the yard or have them put down. I have a horse book called "Their are no problem horses, only problem riders". Now I don't think that is necessarily a cast in stone type statement, but it holds true for dogs, too.

Good luck!

Stop and smell the puppies!
  14. budmickl

budmickl New Member

Thanks again for so much information!

As soon as I can find the crate in the garage, I will be using it as you suggested. I really do love my guys but sometimes, I think they think they are cats. You know <b>Dogs have owners, cats have servants</b>. LOL!

As far as Mick not being in pain, I'm not sure after this weekend and today. He had 2 accidents in the house this morning. That absolutely never happens. I can leave him up to 14 hrs alone, he won't go in the house.

My Bud was put down at Christmas, 2004 with cancer. He was diagnosed in October and I pondered what to do - surgery, put him down, wait? I opted to wait because he actually started eating again and putting on weight. But by the 3rd week of December I could tell he was going down again. Putting him down was so hurtful for me, but the most kind thing I could have done for him. He was comfortable till the end, then it ended. I fear that is near for Mick, but if it is, then he can play with Bud again.

Thanks again!

Oh yeah, Sam was 16 mth old when I adopted him. And I really do think he was a good dog with training and all at that time. But right after I got home with him, within 48 hrs, depression hit me like a mack truck and I feel I have let both dogs down by ignoring them.

Oh oh yeah yeah - My daughters both call me grandma to their dogs. It's so funny! Neither of them have kids yet so again, surragate grandkids.