I Love Old Movies

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by poeticbobbi, May 10, 2007.

1. poeticbobbi

poeticbobbi New Member

I just love old movies;
    Betty Davis is one of my favorites,so I have seen most of hers.There are so many others that I've seen but I can't remember the names or the actors.
    Anybody else a fan of the oldies any suggestions of must sees???
  2. caffey

caffey New Member

Turner Classic Movies was just added to our cable system. I am in heaven. I love those old b/w movies from the 30's and 40's. Taped the Nancy Drew ones, love Thin Man, waiting for Charlie Chan, Dr. Kildare. Love those old ones where those women could scream. Now that was acting. Also saw a series Dr. Ordway as a detective pscyh. Saw a creepy one with Barbara Stanwyck that had a twist that I never saw coming. It was good. The movies are all about an hr. long. Just long enough for me.
  3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I'm a huge classic movie fan as well. Betty Davis was remarkable, wasn't she?

Here are ten of my favorites (some of these are mentioned above):

1. The Best Years of Our Lives: Poignant Oscar-winning film about vets returning from WWII.

2. Modern Times: Chaplin at his most inventive. The Great Dictator comes a close second for me as far as Chaplin's films.

3. Lost Horizon: Frank Capra film about British pilot who discovers mythical Shangri La.

4. Rear Window: not the tour-de-force that Vertigo is, but I'm always on the edge of my seat with this one. Jimmy Stewart is amazing.

5. The Big Country: epic western with great story, scenery, and memorable musical score. Has the best fist fight I've seen on film.

6. Roman Holiday--classic comedy with Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck. Probably my favorite classic comedy.

7. A Man For All Seasons--incredible dialogue in a film about Sir Thomas More's rebellion against King Henry VIII. Paul Scofield is wonderful as More.

8. The Bicycle Thief--simple, poetic Italian film about a father, son, and a stolen bicycle.

9. The African Queen--Huston, Bogart, and Katherine Hepburn on a dangerous river in Africa. I'm a Bogart fan, and like this even better than Casablanca and Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

10. 12 Angry Men--amazing courtroom drama about a jury whose opinion about a suspected murderer is slowly changed by Henry Fonda.

[This Message was Edited on 05/10/2007]
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

You guys picked lots of great films. I would have to agree w/ almost all of them.

I read a few years ago that we should teach films in our high schools. More folks watch movies than read books after all.

My aunt did a lot of that when she was a teacher in MN. I don't know what her job title was, but she was a teacher/librarian/resource person.

I told her one time when I had been training some new attorneys "Working w/ young people really does make you feel young." She said, "I thought it made you feel old."

My sister-in-law, also a teacher, said the same thing.

Remember all those MGM movies where the last thing you saw was:

The End

Made in Hollywood.

They were all made in Culver City which is about ten miles away. (Hollywood was a lotta lies, but they were very appealing lies.)

[This Message was Edited on 05/11/2007]
  5. sisland

sisland New Member

Lots of Great titles!! Weird one But i Liked "The Birds" written by Alfred Hitchcock,,,,,,,,,,,,Also "Cat Balloo" and "The Apple Dumpling Gang!" Too many to Mention!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,S
  6. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

because I like:

Philadelphia Story
    Bringing up Baby

The last one is rarely seen, but is a prequel to "What's Up Doc" with Ryan O'Neal and Barbra Streisand. It was made in the 30's and is really funny.

I also like:

Sergeant York
    Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Old Sherlock Holmes movies with Basil Rathbone

Fun post!
  7. sher48

sher48 New Member

I think Jimmy Stewart was one of the best actors ever. I'd watch him in absolutely any movie. He was amazing!! I loved him in Harvey, Rear Window, Call Northside 777. I've been buying them lately when ever I see one. He was a man of integrity in real life too.
  8. Defor

Defor New Member

Hi...good post poeticbobbi.....

Just lurve...

Dark Victory, Now Voyager, anything with Bette Davis.

Imitation of Life with Lana Turner...
    I still weep watching that one.

Rebecca with Laurence Olivier...
    it's on TV this weekend so will be watching.

Jane Eyre with Orsen Wells.

Calamity Jane...(I 'know!') but I still like the songs.

There was also a film with Jeff Hunter (year dot) but I can't remember the title.
    It was about a marine alone on an island. His ship has been torpedoed by a Japanese battleship but he'd managed to get ashore. The Japanese battleship had been damaged during the battle and they were trying to repair it.
    Jeff Hunter single-handly kept them from repairing it.
    The ending was so sad!

All the 'oldies'... in black and white... better actors and story lines.

9. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Was the Jeff Hunter movie "No Man is an Island"? It sounds like the one you were describing.
  10. poeticbobbi

poeticbobbi New Member

Thanks you guys,soooo much.
    Some of these I've seen and I will be checking out the rest.
    Oh boy my daugther and I will be watching alot this summer.I even got my 14 year old god daugther watching the oldies.Aren't they great!!!
  11. Sidney Poitier... "A Patch of Blue" it was on several times on TCM or AMC.. in a couple of months or so, and I have NEVER been able to catch it from the very begining, but, either it is a veryyyy long movie, or I've caught it fairly early...

Of course the wizard of OZ

and in High School, I loved several of the movies we watch in Lit. class. we'd read first, then see the movie...

LOVED ROMEO & JULIET...even the one with Leo DiCaprio & (uhh, uhh...uh-oh!) "whats-her-face" in it... (sheesh!) that came out in the 90's, also.

The Gift of the Magi, and ??? anyone, anyone?? the story/movie with an elderly mean lady "mrs Havisham" (??) and a boy... wow, memory shot.....AND I'm getting old. Already out of high school over 10 yrs. YUCK. LOL

There are probably others, I just do not know their names, I've watched many black and whites, even in different langauges (french, german, I believe) many nights, with my neverending insomnia...and quite enjoyed the change from "Girls Gone Wild!" informercials, etc bed ones, cure-all info's...etc.

My other insomnia channels, are Nick-at-night, & Animal Planet.

12. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

We've certainly listed a lot of great films. I find it kind of amazing tho, that no one has mentioned GONE WITH THE WIND.

It was probably the most awaited film in history. The book had been a best seller; Margaret Mitchell's only book. The search for Scarlett had fans mesmerized.

Not only was the finished movie a great film, it featured a fabulous score by Hollywood's first important composer, Max Steiner.

The orchestra played Tara's theme at the Oscars a few years ago when Olivia de Havilland came on stage. She is 90 now, lives in France, the last living major player from the film.

13. Defor

Defor New Member

I'm not sure what it was called as it's a very old film.

It was definately Jeffrey Hunter and you were on the edge of your seat willing him to survive....but he didn't!

He only had a rifle and he stopped the Japanese from repairing their ship until reinforcements arrived.

I'd love to see it again but it'd be like 'The Great Escape'...the ending would be the same!
    No matter how many times I will Steve MaQueen to jump over that barbed wire and get over the border into Switzerland he never does!

14. Defor

Defor New Member

I think I know that one you mean with Miss Haversham....was it Great Expectations?

The boy was called Pip and he'd befriended an escaped convict, taken food to him and helped him escape.

Miss Haversham was jilted on her wedding day and she'd kept everything as it was...the wedding buffet etc. and she wore her wedding dress. She was very bitter and she had a little girl, Adele as her 'ward'.
    She trained her to hate all men too and to break their hearts as she'd had hers broken.
    She got Pip to fall in love with her and then break his heart too.

Years later Pip was told he'd got a benefactor who paid for his education. He thought it was Miss Haversham but it turned out to be the convict he'd helped all those years ago.

15. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

Olivia de Havilland has my vote for the all time prettiest star....Frankly darling come to Papa!!!

I liked Sherlock Holmes played by old Basil Rathbone and all the movies with Peter Cushing, Vincent Price, Christopher Lee, Bella Lugosi, and of course Boris Karloff. Yep, they don't make romantic movies like they used to...

I watched a lot of Bud Albert and Lou Costello movies, and Randolph Scott. The Duke, but of course. Remember "North to Alaska"? Johnny Horton sang the theme song, right? "Sands of Iwo Jima". I think I saw all of John Wayne's movies. Roy Rogers & Dale Evans. Trigger and Buttermilk...Trigger is stuffed :( "Battle Cry" Tab Hunter (the book was better and was written by Leon Uris)

I really can't take B&W movies nowadays. They depress me.

Remember "Old Yeller"? Ha ha ha. I cried like a baby...Robert Mitchum in "Thunder Road". What about "Catch 22"? That was the first time I had ever seen public pubic hair..on..Paula Prentiss wasn't it? Alan Arkin was the star. Hey hey here's one, maybe two - "Love Story". "The Sterile Cookoo"....

My two all time favorites were "One Flew Over The Cookoo's Nest" and "Apocalypse Now".
  16. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

That's another WWII film and Frank Sinatra has the lead. It also has a surprising ending- I won't spoil it for those of you that may check it out! It's a good movie.