i lowered cholesterol thru diet!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sascha, Sep 14, 2010.

1. sascha

sascha Member

i was tested about three months ago, and results were very high - total cholesterol 316, LDL 217, HDL 73. my doctor recommended statins.

i just got phone message yesterday from my doctor; she only gave me LDL count from latest blood test done last week. my LDL is now 149! wow, i'm psyched. that's down 68 points!

my doctor thinks i did it using statins. she gave me a prescription for them, but i really didn't want to go on them, so i didn't. i adjusted my diet and kept with my plan quite consistently for the three months between first and second testing.

i cut out butter and cheese totally- i only have nonfat plain yogurt from dairy group- and i flavor it with lots of fruit and stevia for sweetening. i completely cut out processed grains- i had already been off gluten, but i stopped gluten-free substitutes made into baked goods (no rice tortillas, no g-f bread, no g-f cranberry-orange scones, no g-f choc chip cookies, etc).

i usually have oatmeal for breakfast with cinnamon, raisins, blueberries, chopped apple, chopped walnuts, almond milk, and stevia. instead of potatoes i sometimes make a mashed potato substitute, which i love, of cauliflower and quinoa cooked together then put through blender with some almond milk, olive oil, salt and pepper. once you get the consistency right, it is great. my toddler grandchildren even like it!

anyway, i'm such a chow-hound, i have fun finding good food ideas that i enjoy and that help me keep on track.

anyone else have cholesterol story to tell?? Sascha
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I lowered my ldl a lot too, through diet. I had thought I was doing good because I avoided most grains, baked goods, etc., BUT I was eating a lot of raisins, and sugar raises ldl.

So I cut out the raisins, started taking fish oil daily and ground flaxseed a couple of times a week, and my ldl made a huge drop within a few months. It's been a few years, I can't remember exactly what it is was, but it went down to 78 from over 150.

by the way, what is "g-f"?

3. sascha

sascha Member

gf is gluten-free. wow! 78 LDL. that's an inspiration to hear about the raisins etc. i haven't done that, but i'm thinking maybe i'll go toward cutting down more on high-glycemic foods, like raisins, bananas.. i know there's a lot of sugar from fruits i put in yogurt, but it's so good that would probably be hard to change.

well, step by step- i think my main culprit was the processed carbs with fat, either oils or butter. thanks, sascha
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I think 217 is a bit high. Are you sure you typed the right number?

Mine was lower than this and was put on a statin as I only weighed about 110 pounds. It is heredity for me.

Generally, I think it is a good idea to change your diet (mine has always been good) but if that does not help and you have other risks factors for heart disease, I would go for the statins.

Sasha, congratulations. For some people diet does help. Some of the things you mentioned cutting out are things I do not eat or do not eat in great quanity.[This Message was Edited on 09/14/2010]
  5. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

Congratulations Sascha :) I'm sure you'll enjoy even more health benefits from all those great nutritional foods!

My father was able to get off all his cholestereol medications by taking a 2x daily apple-cider vinegar supplement. You can imagine his doctor was pretty shocked!
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

From the American Heart Association.

Total Cholesterol Level Category
    Less than 200 mg/dL

Desirable level that puts you at lower risk for coronary heart disease. A cholesterol level of 200 mg/dL or higher raises your risk.

If your total cholesterol is 200 mg/dL or more, or your HDL cholesterol is less than 40 mg/dL (for men) and less than 50 mg/dL (for women), you need to have a lipoprotein profile done to determine your LDL cholesterol and triglyceride levels. If your cholesterol is high or you have other risk factors, your healthcare provider will likely want to monitor your cholesterol more closely. Follow your provider's advice about how often to have your cholesterol tested. He or she will set appropriate management goals based on your LDL cholesterol level and other risk factors.

[This Message was Edited on 09/14/2010]
  7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Let us know how the diet works.

Cholesterol is not the culprit for heart disease but it is a risk factor.