I"m having my first review after getting SSD benefits Help!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deb_46, Aug 4, 2011.

1. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

I just posted this but somehow it vanished. Anyway, I've had SSD since 2009 and got a huge packet of forms today to fill out basically about like what we all filled out when first applying. I thought I read on here where some people just got forms that they took to their doctors to fill out stating they were still unable to work. It says my review will be gone over by their docs to determine if I am still disabled, well never once did THEIR docs say I was disabled before, five of mine did.

I no longer have the money to run to five docs as my marriage started falling apart during the past four years due to the fact that my husband flat out told me he was tired of my neve be able to do or go anywere so 33 yrs down the drain. I lost my insurance due to the divorce and did not get medicare until March of this year so I could not afford to go to the dr. every three months and ny dr understood that and gave me enough refills on my pain meds and such to last longer. Of course they theaten all over the letter that if they find I am not still disabled I will lose my benefits and medicare, should I be terrified????? Did anyone else get the big packet of forms or did everyone else get the letter to take to their doc to sign???

Thanks so much
    Debbie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

First, don't panic. These reviews are often routine. Did you save copies of your original forms? If so, get them out and use them to show that the conditions then have not changed, or have gotten worse. Use as much space as you need to answer but not so much that they think you could get a job because you write well. The important thing is not your disabilities but how those disabilities limit your ability to do any kind of work. At my hearing, the judge wanted to know why I couldn't just get a job as a receptionist answering phones. I told him that there would be no place to lie down when I felt like I was going to fall down. My atty. added that there was no way to predict when the fatigue would hit. In other words, I am not fit for a job because I'm not dependable.

Chances are that you will send in the forms and not hear anything for quite a while or you will get a letter that your benefits will continue.

Sending up prayers for you.

Love, Mikie
  3. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

I will be so glad to get past this review I'm 53 so surely to goodness they will leave me alone after this. I did the panic when they said their doctors and medical experts will go over my information cause we all know who they work for!! Thanks again and the prayers are very much appreciated.

Debbie
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

SS doesn't have many resources and a lot of what they do is move paperwork. If your questionnaire is reviewed by any docs, it's likely to be a cursory review, especially if it agrees with your original claim and what your docs originally told them. Dealing with SS is so stressful because we go through so much just getting it (it took me three years). Then, they send out their reviews and that causes more stress. Dealing with SS isn't logical; it's a game and the better we play and learn the rules, the better off we are. A lot of these questionnaires are routine but they scare people about losing benefits.

Another prayer going up.

Love, Mikie

BTW, at your age, there is less chance they would try to revoke your benefits than if you were younger. I was just a bit older than you when I filed and I've now aged into regular SS from SSD.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/06/2011]
  5. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Hi Debbie!

Your post caught my eye because I just recently applied for SSD last month. I don't know much about it but had a friend that was reviewed again and all she did was fill out the paperwork and have her drs. write a summary of how she had gotten worse since getting disability. The next month they sent her a letter stating that she was reviewed and found to still be disabled and that her SSD would continue!

Maybe this is something they do with everyone every 2 years? Do you think you could get a little summary from at least 2 of your docs, the main ones that dx'd you? Maybe that would help. I agree with Mikie about not writing too much or they will think you have gotten better if you are able to go to such lengths. My SSD counselor told me that they take the medical info from my drs. then their dr. just reviews it and will probably just agree with them as they usually do.

Try not to worry so much because I think that this is just common protocal. I know, easier said than done, right? I'm sure you will get a lot of positive replies that will ease your mind. I will pray for you. Say a little prayer for me too since I'm just starting this process and need all the prayers I can get! I also want to say, sorry for the end of your marriage as I know how tough that can be! I remarrried one year after I got sick and am now married to a wonderful man who loves me just the way I am and is very understanding and caring. I'm sure that you will find someone else who is more deserving of you! Good Luck and God bless!

Faith, Peace and Comfort, Julie
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm sending up a prayer for your success too. The hardest thing for me when I was starting out is the duality of trying to look and act "normal" in the hopes that the positive outlook would help me feel better. On the other hand, we have to convince SS that we are so totally disabled that we cannot work. The cognitive dissonance this produces can be stressful.

Our illnesses are called, "invisible" conditions. Most of us were active and attractive people before we got sick. We continue to be as active as our illnesses allow and we try to maintain our personal grooming. No one looking at me would ever guess that I have cognitive problems or fatigue that is so bad at times that I have to lie down.

My atty. told me to show up for my hearing without getting gussied up. He said the judge needed to see how I look when I'm home sick. He also said not to wear something cute but to wear a dark color. So, I went to court in a long black knit skirt and tee top with no makeup and not much done to my hair. If you show up looking like a million bucks, the judge likely will not be inclined to grant disabilty. This isn't deceitful; it's reality. This is what I mean when I say it's a game and you need to learn how to play and outplay. I WAS too sick to work. Logic would tell any sane person that I would never give up my very lucrative insurance agent job to try to live on the paltry SSD benefit. Still, you have to fight and use every resource you have to win because there's nothing logical when it comes to SSD.

I had excellent docs who knew about CFIDS/ME and FMS and they all came through for me in filling out my atty's questionnaires. Between that and my atty's reputation, I won my case. I would have given anything to not have to get SSD and be able to continue to work but I simply couldn't. It became my job to demonstrate that to SSD.

Best of luck.

Love, Mikie
  7. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Hi!

I just wanted to say thank you so much for all of your kind words of advice and encouragment. It means a lot to me esp. when I am trying my hardest to just kick back and wait. I try not to think negative thoughts about getting SSD but I do worry. The good thing is that it only takes 3-5 months to find out if I qualify here in Nevada. I have heard from many on this board that it can take a year or longer.

I really appreciate all of the advice you gave me and will certainly take it to heart. Thank you for being such a valuable source of help on this board and for always being so giving to others. You truly are a gem!

8. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

I think one of the things that freaked me was they said they did not want my doctor filing anything out that they wanted the past 12 months medical records. I've only been using one dr. now for my medicine refills so I called and made an appt. as I want to give him a heads up and make sure things are right in my record showing no improvement.

On my approval letter the judge put expected recovery in two years (like he would know!!!!).

I'm still fighting on my first claim, won at the federal level, remanded back to court got an even crappier judge than the first hearing and denied again. One reason that he denied me is he said I couldn't be in pain because I wasn't thin enough!!!! People that are in constant pain are thin he said I'm 5'6" and weigh about 120 don't think thats considered overweight! I'm at the appeals court now and my attorney said the wait time is averaging 11 months and its been about 7 now. There is where all my back pay is sitting plus an increase on my check of about $500 per month.

It took me 3.5 years to get it on the second claim, got it almost instantly without even having a hearing.

Thanks again everyone I think I'm so scared because I'm alone now I even cried when I opened the envelope :(

Debbie
    [This Message was Edited on 08/07/2011]
  9. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Hi!

Thanks so much for the info on SSD. I have to admit that I did'nt know about the time frames and it doesn't sound like much fun. Especially if I have to do all of that paperwork again after filing for another disability insurance through my job as well! Thank God that the School District in my area has such a good program for early retirement/disability. The private one through my job only takes 1-3 months so I should find out about that one next month!

I'm glad that you gave me the heads-up on this info as I will tell my BIL. He is a lawyer and does pro bono work for family often. He even helped me in getting settlements on 2 out of 3 surgeries that I have had. Thanks so much for your help!

10. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Hi again!

Just read your last reply and I felt sad. I know first hand how scary this all can be. I am trying to get SSD and private disability through my job. So much paperwork, no income, financial problems, etc. I hope and pray that you get every penny that is owed to you. $500 plus back pay sounds wonderful! Good luck again and keep us all posted. Crying is good for the soul and helps to purge our frustrations and fears. I have cried more since I've been off of work than in my whole lifetime! I wish that SS could realize that we do not want to quit working but have no choice! Who wants to go from making good money to having none? I wish you all the success in the world.

Take care, Julie
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

What I love about this site is how caring and sharing our members are. Most of us feel we should share out experiences to help others. Everything I have heard of which has helped me is something I first learned of here. I try to give back when I can. Thank you for being so kind.

Again, best of luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  12. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Hi!

I do not have ERISA but thank you for the info anyways. If I do indeed need to appeal my BIL is a lawyer, Thank God!
    Take care,

Julie
  13. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Thanks so much for the caring message. It made me feel really good when you said I was very kind. I try to do whatever I can do in life to help other's on this board and my family and friend's as well. I am truly greatful for this site and how wonderful everyone is too! Thanks for the wishes of good luck on my disability case!

Faith and Hope, Julie
  14. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

to have an attorney in the family, how often I wished for one. I didn't know about the reassessment after one year either. Let us know how it goes. I've been back since my SS kicked in with more hip pain and overall body pain. I hope it helps to have my doctor's records.

I would like to know everyone who has gone through the reassessment would post and let us know their experiences.

I hope all goes well for you.