I made it throgh work yesterday

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mary100, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Mary100

Mary100 New Member

Oh, yesterday was my first day back as a cashier fon a month and a half. I had a six hour shift and made it through, but there were some times I was wondering. When I got home, I went straight to bed, and woke an hour later with an intense migrane. It finally subsided and was able to get some sleep but not much. I woke up every hour or so. I felt the headache coming back around 1AM and took some more Advil and slept in the recliner. I don't even think I got 3 hours of sleep last night. Is it worth it? I don't know.

My hubby wants me to find a clerical job again. I am uncertain about that after 4 years of doing it. My memory ain't what it used to be. Also, I am getting the strange vision things, and the computer monitor doesn't quite look the same all the time.

Any advice out there?

Thanks
    Mary
  2. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

My advice would be to give yourself a chance to get back in the "swing of things" since you've been off work for a while. Maybe after a week or two you'll be able to handle it better.

Do you have to stand all day at your job? Maybe a clerical job ( sitting at a desk!) would be a good choice. Maybe you could find a receptionists job that doesn't require a whole lot of computer work ( the fog gets bad sometimes doesn't it?)

I work in an office ( have for many years now), but at one time I had the bright idea of working with my husband in his business, and it required standing for hours, and it was hard. Finally after 4 years I went back to office work.

Anyway, good luck, and hope you feel better today.

Your friend,

Kinsie
  3. nina2

nina2 New Member

I really feel for you, I remember those days of working in so much back pain that I would come home and crash for the rest of the evening.......just to get back to feeling decent enough to starting another day.

I also know how a migraine can be and I sympathize with you.

You have no control as to when they will pop up and they can be unbearable.

Just not an easy way to work and get through the day.

I too get the strange vision things just before the migraine.
    They're called "Auras" .

They can be of different degrees. Sometimes blocking your line of vision.

My doctor put me on toprol at the time, but there are many different meds out now that you can use if it becomes a bigger problem.

You shouldn't have to suffer with that, nor should you have to work in that pain.

nina
  4. naturebaby

naturebaby New Member

....wow, I can't imagine having to stand for that long and deal with people, noise, etc!

If clerical work is your strong suit, you could possibly do some work from home. Put an ad in your local business newspaper and in the university/college newspapers (lots of students writing thesis out there who need help formatting, proofreading, etc!)

Just a thought! Wishing you well, nature

PS: Have you tried an anti-glare screen for your monitor? Also, try changing the settings on your monitor display.....I find the standard blue and white very hard on the eyes.....the old "amber" screens seemed much more eye-friendly, didn't they?