I may be dealing with Neuralgia along with FM, help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, May 4, 2009.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Burning pain has always been a symptom of mine with my FM, but lately it is much worse. My legs, hips, knees and arms burn a lot that I need to take an old fashion ice pack and literally ice down my body sometimes.

This problem has become much worse since I had a lipoma removed from my right hip 4 years ago. This lipoma was very large, about 10 centimeters. I was awake for the procedure and I remember the surgeon trying to get this thing out of me. The surgery was supposed to last only 20 minutes, but since this lipoma (benign tumor) was so large, it took 45 minutes.

I have constant pain in the area of the surgery, but this pain didn't occur until about 1 year after the surgery. I have this feeling, I may have developed a type of neuralgia or neuropathy from the surgery.

When I do a search on neuralgia, all I come up with for treatment is Neurontin, which I would refuse to take because of the risk of weight gain from these drugs. I was on a few antidpressants in the past that caused me a huge weight gain, that has been difficult to manage since then, and I heard the same thing happens with Neurontin.

I had a cat scan and an MRI of my hip to see if another lipoma has returned because of the pain, but it has not returned. I wonder if hig doses of B vitamins would help me, or if anyone on this board deals with neuralgia, or something similar, what do you take to help?

I have read before on this board that some people with FM do have problems with a form of neuralgia or neuropathy that can accompany FM, if this is the case, what can be done for it. Hugs to all, Chelz.
  2. hatbox121

hatbox121 New Member

I was sent to a neurologist because I had neuropathy in both feet and hands. After having loads of blood work, MRIs, and nerve conduction studies, they just contributed it to the FM. I have just lived with it. Mine is not too severe so I don't want to spend another 5 or 6000 to find out what it is. I have heard that some B vit help. Lyrica, which has been approved for FM, was originally for diabetic neuropathy. It made me too spacey, but it might help you if you haven't already tried it. My FIL has diabetic neuropathy and takes the lyrica along with some pain meds. Hope someone has something better than I do and I hope it goes away. BYE BYE NEURALGIA!!!!
  3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

normally, I am not one to recommend meds, and I'm not really recommending this one, either....but I do want to let you know that I did take it for awhile, a few yrs back, and even though I seem to get all the possible side effects associated with most meds, I did not experience any weight gain from it....I was on a fairly high dose for a few yrs....the reason I stopped taking it was that it did make me more tired (but not everyone has that issue with it)....I did find that it helped with pain and anxiety
  4. 3gs

3gs New Member

I take Lortab however my neuropathy has progressed and its not helping as much.

My chrio(NUCCA) helps some also.
  5. mcflury

mcflury New Member

I have neuropathy as well. Not only from the FM/CFS, but a fractured vertebra/ herniated discs may be contributing. I also have Raynaud's Phenomenon from the FM, or with the FM. Neurontin did nothing for me. I tried several other meds too since I get very bad headaches and most of the drug classes for this are use to help prevent headaches. I did find help though, It is Cymbalta. It works incredibly well for me. This advice comes with a side note though. You have to start the drug at a very low dose and work your way up. Some people experience fatigue at the very beginning, but if you stick it out it will go away. I was just the opposite and couldn't sleep. Again it slowly resolved and after about 10 days was completely gone. The catch to taking it for neuropathy is that you have to be on 120mg. or 2 60mg. capsules a day. The dosage for other things like depression are too low. It is "label" meaning your insurance company should cover that dosage for neuropathy. It doesn't seem to be much of an issue now, but at the start of the drug, insurance companies only wanted to pay for 60mg. a day. Good Luck!! Just an FYI... Valerian Root herb can help a little bit but causes fatigue. If I am having a bad night especially when I have restless legs the added Valerian is great.
  6. msSusan

msSusan Member

I believe some of my pain is due to perimen. hormone issues. I get much worse burning achiness after about day 10 of my cycle. I also have many food intolerences.

I have read some articles stating that a specific type of vitamin B1 called Benfotiamine is good for Neuropathy. There are some post's about this on this site.