I might have some help for IBS sufferers

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Dec 29, 2008.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

This little trick has worked for me so far when I can feel a bout of IBS coming on and I thought it was worth passing on for those who have not tried it. I am sure some have and found it ineffective, but I know from personal experience that it is worth a try.

When I feel that ominous rumbling start after a meal, I immediately take 2 gas pills and 2 immodium and so far it has headed it off.

God Bless,
  2. jewels920

jewels920 New Member

I have concerns about taking so many meds, especially before something actually happens, but it's worth it for IBS. I always have IBS worse when I'm flaring.

Much love to all.

3. tandy

tandy New Member

I've been considering trying some kind of gas pills.
    IBS at times is horrendously horrible.
    its sure worth trying,.... thanks again :)
  4. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I know what you mean, but I am actually not talking about before it happens in a way. I don't have trouble every time I eat. I don't know how common that is though. What I do is WHEN I feel trouble coming I take the 2 gas and 2 immodium. I am assuming that anyone who has IBS knows the symptoms of a round coming on, although it is new to me and I am not sure how my experience stacks up to others.

For me, I can feel a sort of bloating and churning, like gas moving in my intestines (sorry to be gross) and it is like an uneasy rumbling in my guts and I know that I am in trouble 9 times out of 10 when this happens. Unfortunately it is at work sometimes and no one wants that. When my guts start to feel like a volcano about to erupt, I take the gas and immodium and so far it has worked. I have to take 2 of each though because a lesser dose or time inbetween does not work for me.

God Bless,
  5. klcooper

klcooper New Member

DH got me to start using immodium (before I just suffered through it) but never though about gas pills. Will get those tomorrow, thanks!
  6. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I just hope this helps someone, anyone at all. I don't know if other suffer with this after every meal or just some types of foods but I can tell you that it seems to me hard to predict what will bring it on. With me it is very sporadic.

One example: I took my husband to the doctor, we ate at Wendy's. I had a cheeseburger and a frosty. No problem. Next day I took my daughter to the mall, had the SAME THING, got sick and was in the mall bathroom for a miserable HOUR! Of course speculation is all that is available to figure this out. Some say is was too much dairy, yet I can eat it at other times with no problem. Some say it was too much red meat, yet again I have no problems at other times. It is frustrating and embarrassing as well and if I can head it off and help someone else to do the same, then I am thankful. Let me know if it works for any of you.

God Bless,
  7. ZenGirl

ZenGirl New Member

My doctor prescribed a medicine for me that has changed my life when I get an IBS flareup. It's Dicyclomine. When I feel a flare coming on, I take one of those and within 10 minutes I feel SO much better. At times my IBS was so bad I'd fall to the floor, doubled over in pain. I didn't want to have to take another medication, but this one has definitely improved my quality of life. It's not a pill I need to take daily, either. I only take when needed. It works great for me and am grateful to be able to get some sort of relief at least as far as the IBS goes. Now, the rest of my pain, that's a different story. Remember, we're not alone in this though.

Take care,
  8. loto

loto Member

I am having stomach problems. Pain, bloating, distention, gas, taking nexium, and it helps some with the upper stomach pain, but not totally. Had a ct scan yesterday of everything in stomach, but still waiting on results. Doctor doesn't seem to think it's ibs at this time, but will see when results come in. Anyone else have these same symtoms that have gotten a diagnosis for? I know FM causes stomach probs, also, but it's so frustrating. I need an answer!!!!
  9. romalaw

romalaw Member

I was amazed to hear that lvjesus mentioned having a cheeseburger and shake(?) I have cfs and also accompanying gastro intestinal issues (ibs among them) and I can no longer eat that kind of food without inviting major stomach/gut problems--between the wheat, milk, sugar and meat--all of which I have a high intolerance for(I think many of us do), I would take days to recover.

10. floridagrl

floridagrl New Member

I take digestive enzymes with every meal has helped tremendously with gas and constipation