I Need A Recommendation : Digestive Enzymes

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lgp, Sep 12, 2012.

1. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Due to digestive upsets I have suffered since gallbladder removal surgery last year, I now want to start taking digestive enzymes. But there are so many on the market, I find the choices all very confusing.

Somebody here on the board once mentioned that they took DE since having the surgery, but I've forgotten who and what they took. If anybody here can give me some information, I would be so grateful. Thank you!!

2. sascha

sascha Member

is- Ultimate Flora Critical Care 50 Billion- put out by Renew Life. comes in a blue, yellow and white bottle- well, comes in a box of similar colors. Salome
  3. I also take NOW Super Digestive Enzymes like Jam mentioned. I've been on these for years and they really seem to help. I also take Kyo-Dophilus probiotics... it is a proprietary blend of 1.5 billion cells that I take twice daily. Hope you can find what you need!

4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Removing my gallbladder resulted in bile reflux, which is precancerous and hard to treat, as well as total inability to digest anything. I could eat about 500 calories per day with OTC enzymes, but had horrible nausea and hair falling out. My pancreas just stopped making enzymes, despite no damage seen on testing.

The companies that make Creon and Pancrease told me tough luck, go ahead and die, but Eurand, which makes Zenpep, the only other choice, saved me. I ended up on prescription Zenpep, which I can't begin to afford at $1,100 per month, and am not quite poor enough to get help. I depend on a sales rep to sneak me free drugs, which he promised to do for the rest of my life, after telling me exactly what he thinks of the American medical system. (they are a German company, I think). Sometimes I come close to running out, while the medical asst. tries desperately to reach the new rep, since they've changed reps twice in the 5 yrs. I've been in this position. It's quite stressful and scary.

If I run out, then I go on a liquid diet.....I even put salad in the blender! I have found only one OTC enzyme that has enough Lipase in it to make even a liquid diet possible. It is called P-A-L, and the only place I've found it is on Amazon.com. Nothing else I tried came close to it. I take a double dose, and use high potency undenatured whey protein powder and green drink powder to make nutritional shakes to make up for not eating.

I want to add that I had zero gallbladder trouble when I listened to my body and ate the lacto-vegetarian diet I prefer and ate all my life until doctors, both conventional and alternative, kept pressing me to eat a high protein, low carb diet, including meat and fish. I have Lyme too. Lyme doctors esp. pushed medium protein and high fat. I had never liked fat, and often ate melas with zero fat in them by choice. I was told I have metabolic syndrome and people with that cannot be vegetarian or they will have heart attacks. This diet, which I still see is being pushed as the right one for us, made me weak and shaky immediately, so much so that I could not walk to the mailbox, and it destroyed my gallbladder and pancreas in only a couple of months. My point? Listen to your body over and above anyone else. It is a brilliant machine and knows what it needs and where it's weaknesses are.

God bless you, and I hope an OTC enzyme like P-A-L will be all you ever need.