I need a suggestion or two

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ForeverFlaring, May 26, 2003.

1. ForeverFlaring

ForeverFlaring New Member

Today is Monday. Saturday we had a community festival here in my town. It had booths, rides, the works..in other words a small fair or carnival. I took the kids at 1:00 in the afternoon. I was on my feet most of the time when we first got there. After a few hours, I really started feeling the pain. As soon as I would walk them to the ride they wanted to ride on, I would just drop and sit on the ground until the ride was over. I knew I was overdoing it, but I had promised the kids I would spend the day with them.

Well to make a long story short, we stayed until about 10:00 pm. They had a fireworks show that I couldn't make the kids miss. When the fireworks were over, I was literally in tears hobbeling the 2 blocks back to the car.

Two days later I am still not any better. My left calf feels like I did a triathalon and I literally have to do this goofy hop skip step to get around the house. I reek of Ben Gay. I have soaked in the tub so much I am wrinkled head to toe. I have taken my Flexeril, but it isnt touching the tightness. All I have for pain is an anti-inflammatory and that is doing me no good. On top of all of it, even though I thought I was in the shade and it was very cloudy out I have this weird rash like a sunburn and my skin feels as if its on fire.

If anyone has any suggestions besides staying in bed, please let me know. This really hurts badly, but in a way to take the kids out like that all day and see their smiles made it worth it. kinda..
  2. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

I know the kids are important but maybe next time you could not make it such a long day? Or can you take a lightweight collapsable chair with you and rest often?

As for now, if you have an Noxema it takes the sting out of being in the sun. I put it on and leave it on.
    Baths are my favorite but since you have already turned yourself into a prune LOL how about a heating pad. (moist one if you have it)

As crazy as it sounds, try some stretching at least for your neck and shoulders. You can do that sitting down :)

Hope you get to feeling better. I admire you , I could not even go to our local festival last weekend and I really missed it . Thank goodness I have no kids to disappoint.

Take care
  3. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

for the hydrogen peroxide & epsom salts bath? I find that when I overdo this bath does wonders for me.

3 lg. bottles of peroxide
    3 cups epsom salts

Hot as you can stand the water. Soak 20 min. & then lay down for awhile.

Hope you find relief.

Take care......Kathi
  4. ForeverFlaring

I did that a few months ago but only had 1 bottle in the tub. I have to say after the bath I was wiped OUT! I laid down and slept for 5 hours until the kids got home from school because it totally wiped me out. I bought some extra bottles this time around so I might try it later tonight after hubby gets home.

Thanks for reminding me about the bath, I had forgotten all about it. I do have to say that even for 2 days after the bath I felt better, so there must be some kind of magic to it!

Thanks again!
    Sandy
  5. jka

jka New Member

i take a bath with both of these every night.i always do it just befor bed so i can calapse and fall asleep.my only other suggestion isif you can find some emu oil.it works as a pain reliever and anti-inflamatory.i really like the one with menthol in it.i've been using it for 12-13 yrs for arthritis pain.
    hope this helps some
    kathy c
  6. sujay

sujay New Member

I know it's well-meaning of people to say you have to look after yourself first, and to a certain extent they're right, but I'm the single parent of a 12-year-old, and I KNOW that's just not always an option.

Please look up "hypercoagulation" or "ISAC" through the search function on this board. You might also check into "guai" (for guaifenesin). I truly believe help is available, but you're going to have to educate yourself first, and then you'll probably have to educate your physician.

Good luck!
    Sujay
  7. RedB

RedB New Member

You're not one of the people here who is taking antibiotic therapy, are you?

My 79 year old dad was having pain in his calves yesterday after his daily walk, which he takes to the same place every day of his life. Mom called me and said he barely made it back up their stairs. Could it be the antibiotic that he had been taking for 5 days?

Sure enough, right there on the Mayo Clinic drug site, it said that the medicine could cause "pain, inflammation, and torn tendons," and to stop taking it immediately if you experienced any of those symptoms.

And now, here you are with problems in your calf. Two problems like this in two days is pretty weird.

Anyway, if your pain is anything like the pain I get in the front of my ankles from walking, you may just have to wait it out. Nothing at all makes mine go away, and it lasts for days.

(((Hugs))) for you,

Kathy
  8. ForeverFlaring

------------------------------------------------------
    I know it's well-meaning of people to say you have to look after yourself first, and to a certain extent they're right, but I'm the single parent of a 12-year-old, and I KNOW that's just not always an option.

Please look up "hypercoagulation" or "ISAC" through the search function on this board. You might also check into "guai" (for guaifenesin). I truly believe help is available, but you're going to have to educate yourself first, and then you'll probably have to educate your physician.
    --------------------------------------------------------

Sujay,

Thanks for the tips. I have been reading about hypercoagulation, ISAC, and guai for quite awhile on the boards. My physician says I know more about fibro than he does, so I do consider myself pretty well educated. He doesn't believe in newer treatments or in guai therapy. The good thing about him is he is open to learning about fibro and is willing to work with me on it. I will be visiting him again in 2 weeks, to discuss my bloodwork so I will have a chance to try to convince him of less traditional therapies. I may not have stated what I needed in my post, but I was looking for a new home remedy for pain that I had never tried. Unfortunately, I will just have to deal with the pain and let the muscle heal in its own time. :)

To the person who asked about anitbiotics...no, I am not on any. I think I just way overdid it, and added insult to injury when I did not stop when I felt the pain. My calf is killing me, but I think I just really strained the muscle. If it isnt better by tomorrow I may see if I can get into my doc to make sure it is just a strained muscle.

Thanks all for your replies and well wishes. Sometimes it helps to know that I am not hobbling around on my own. :)
  9. sujay

sujay New Member

Hi there,

I just wanted to see how you were doing. It's really hard not to overdo, and than we have to pay and pay and pay. I wish I were better at learning from my own mistakes. I'm glad you're thinkjng about the possibility of hypercoagulation. Dave Berg's article, posted here in the archives, might be a help to your doctor, especially if you can show how it ties into your complaints. Hope nour doctor visit goes well.

Enjoy your children!
    Sujay
  10. ForeverFlaring

If I had not read your profile, I wouldn't have seen that you posted to me asking how I am doing.

Thank you very much. It is so nice of you to follow up like that. Imagine a physician who cares enough to follow up just out of the kindness of her heart. I am overwhelmed :)

I just read your reply to my lab work results, so will follow up with you there. I just wanted to let your know, your kindness did not go unappreciated :)
  11. ForeverFlaring

Bumping for Sujay
  12. RLCarter03

RLCarter03 New Member

I take the salt (just reg. table salt even) baths, but what does the peroxide do for you?? Curious...please explain. Thank you and blessings to you all...