I need advice about pain med dosing

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Aug 16, 2006.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

My doc gave me vicodin #5 to take 1/2 in the am and 1/2 in the pm. I had been taking 7.5 (1/2 twice a day). The doc said he would like to start low since this is a narcotic but that he would give me the 7.5 if the 5s do not work well enough.

I would rather take the least I can as well, so that was fine with me and I asked if I could suppliment with Tylenol or Advil and he said yes.

1/2 of a 5 takes most of the edge off the pain, even the level 10 pain I was having on Saturday although it took about 45 minutes to go into effect.

I usually have to take one Advil after about 30 minutes when the vicodin have taken effect. That gets most of it, but sometimes I still have twinges. Today I have bad back pain and had to take 1/2 of the 7.5, but this is the first time since Friday when I got the 5s.

Here is what I am wondering. Is it better to tolerate a little pain with 1/2 of a 5 and 1 advil, or do I get him to up the dose, which takes all the pain for the most part?

I am just curious as to what others would do, although I know we all have to decide for ourselves. I wind up feeling guilty about taking pain meds, but the doc was very matter-of-fact when he said that narcotics are for pain relief and that they are there for you if you need them.

I am keeping a journal of this med and how I feel etc so I can see for myself at the end of the month how they do. Hey, he even gave me one refill and said he would give others, but just wanted the pharmacy to call for them after that so he can keep track.

I am thinking to go up after this month, but am undecided.

Thanks,
    Sonya
  2. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I also take vicodin.It never takes the pain completely away.I use it for back up cause I also take oxcycotin.

In the beginning it was just vicodin.Than when it did not even take the edge off anymore thats when my doctor put me on oxcycotin.

I take what ever dose is needed to take the pain away.Why be in pain if you have something to take it away.

I would also talk to your pharmacist about the Advil or Tylenol that you take with it.

The reason I'm saying this is cause my pharmacist told me I can not take those two nor Ibuprofen with vicodin.

Just double check to make sure OK.Most doctors do not know which meds interact.

Sue
  3. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I asked the doc about taking supplimental Tylenol or Advil and he said it was okay, up to 3000 mg of Tylenol per day since I have no liver problems.

I only take one at a time, meaning if the vicodin have done what they are going to do and I still have pain, I take one advil. I figure, take one and see it that helps.

I have not taken more that 3 advil in a day yet. I am thinking why take something else, why not just take one dose of vicodin. I know he wants to start slow since he talked like he expected that I would need to increase later.

He only gave me 30 for the month and I might get by on 1 1/2 a day as opposed to just 1. I was going to ask for 45 but was so shocked that I did not have to convince him to give me pain meds, that I plumb forgot!!!LOL

I think at the end of this month's worth of 5s if I am still supplimenting, I will ask for 7.5.

Love,
    Sonya
  4. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

You might want to talk to your pharmasist about the Tylenol thing.

I have no liver or tummy problems but the pharmasist reminds me each time I fill my 7.5 rx not to take any other acetmetaphin products.

Sorry I can't spell pharmasist today, but you get the idea. Foggy in here today!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  5. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

my puppies stink!!! LOL

Well, if I can't take anything with it, then it will have to be the 7.5.

Sonya
  6. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I have no liver problems yet.I have it checked every 3 months to make sure.

If you speak to your pharmacist he/she will probably say no Tylenol due to the risk involved.Don't want to take chances of messing up the liver.

Sue
  7. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Sonya,
    I agree that you should take what stops the pain. I'm on Lortabs 10/500 mg. and I had to stop my Diclofenac due to fluid problems and GERD problems.

I can't believe how much that the med helped with my pain. Now I'm in agony off and on. I took a Lortab around 10;30 PM and don't feel any relief at all.

I took 2 coated aspirins and feel only a bit better.

Of course, right now I'm on an antibiotic for a UTI and they always make my FMS worse, so that may be what is going on now. Thankfully I only have 2 more days of the Keflex to take.

Go with what helps you. I know pain--body wide pain, and it's no fun at all.

I'm glad your doc is working with you on the meds. :)

Love,
    Faye
    [This Message was Edited on 08/16/2006]
  8. blessedmom2four

blessedmom2four New Member

do not feel guilty for taking pain meds for your pain, trust me i have been there before because of other peoples judgements.

do diabetics feel guilty for taking insulin. do people with strep throat feel bad for taking antibiotics, absolutly not.

thats why there is medicine to help people have a better quality of life, whetther it is pain control or to get rid of bacteria in our body.

if you need the 7.5 take it then you wont need to add the motrin or tylenol, would probbly be better on your liver.IMHO
  9. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Hi Faye, Always nice to hear from you. Sorry you are not feeling well. I pray that you will soon be better.

blessedmom, thank you, and I know you are right. People who are in pain are entitled to pain relief. I get caught up in thinking, well, if I can stand it, maybe I will just ignore it...

That is where I have been for 2 1/2 years basically. This is the first time I have asked for pain meds. It is silly, I mean, if I had a headache, I would take something for it, right?

I do think that after the month, I will ask for an increase if this continues as it is. I know PMS is making the pain worse, but it has been 2 solid weeks now and if I don't start soon and get some relief I will have to be shot.

I might be able to get by on 5s if I had more, but that would be like 6 of one and a half dozen of another I guess. If I need 3 halfs of 5s or just 2 of 7.5, that is the same thing. Sometimes I really have needed 3 halves of 7.5.

Anyway, I am blessed with a PCP that did not even flinch about giving me some, so I certainly am not going to worry about this, since I spent literally months worrying about what he would say to giving me pain meds in the first place.

Sonya