I need advice---Help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mare-T, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Mare-T

Mare-T New Member

Yesterday I had another appt with my D.O who specializes in physical rehabilitation. My previous appointment he had me switch to Ultramn 50mg 1-2 every 8 hours. If that didn't work he had me try Flexiril, 10 mg. For the vidit I had with him yesterday it might as well could have been a phone conference...he asked how the Ultram was doing (not working), the Fexilril puts me into a coma ( took one at
    10 am, fell alseep at 11am, hubby woke me at 2pm asking if I was ok) I said the Vicodin really helps. He refuses to give me anymore. I do understand, but I also understand if I have found something that is HELPING me why change it? I asked if I could up my intake of Ultram NO! he said and offered no alternative. He took me off the Trazadone at night because I found myself sinking into sort of a stupor---no motivation...etc. He switched me to Ambien. I have heard this has helped others, I took it last night and was up nearly every hour of the night. Should I look for a new doctor? I'm not really sure how familiar this guy is with FMS. Would I be better off with a rheumatologist?? I'm mad I drove a hour for basically nothing. he gave the Ambien and said, I'll see you in three months....so I guess I have to suffer until then?? Please,anyone, tell me what I should do! I'm lost and still new at this new ballgame.
    Mare
  2. jeanderek

jeanderek New Member

Its getting harder and harder to get doctors to give up the pain medication that we need. I posted yesterday about a memo that I saw on the desk at my doctors office about "drug seekers" check it out if you want. Basically what its coming down to is anyone in pain is considered a drug seeker. They are teaching the doctors that we are quilty until proven innocent. Its not right that we all are having such a problem with getting the pain relief that we need just because of these "drug seekers" or "drug addicts" is a better term. I understand how you feel and if your not getting the proper care that you need from this doctor then its time to move on to the next. I had the same problem everytime I found something that gave me some relief the doctor would snatch it away from me. So finally I ended up in pain management and working with a doctor that isnt scared to treat pain. I hope you find some relief.

hugs,
    Jeanna
  3. jka

jka New Member

docs just dont understand the pain of feeling like someone has beaten you all over with a baseball bat!i had to really sit down and have talk with my internist.my rhumy understands & gives me what i need. for sleeping i takealprazalam. it works pretty good for me. i get 1-2 times a nite.i also take mirapex which is a treatment on trial. it has done wonders for me!

good luck
    kathy c

[ advertisement ]